Parents driving their kids to the school bus stop

When did this become, like, a thing people do?

I don't get it.

Your kids will be fine walking a block or two on their own.

If they're really young (like 5-6) and you're concerned about leaving them on their own...walk to the bus stop with them.

Comments

• I forgot you guys had school buses.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've done this, but in both cases it makes sense, which makes this not actually seem like that big of an issue as much as it is extremely case-by-case. Anyway: First case involves the only bus stop (which then drove us a mile or more since it was the only bus stop where I lived), second involves the bus stop not being that far off from the school anyway. I agree regardless, though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Honestly, it wouldn't bother me so much if not for how we end up with like half a dozen cars lining both sides of the streets and making it hard for me (or anyone) to get through
  • I generally consider this a sign of helicopter parents tbh

the only exception is if the bus stop is farther away than a child can realistically walk within like an hour.
    Jane said:

I generally consider this a sign of helicopter parents tbh

the only exception is if the bus stop is farther away than a child can realistically walk within like an hour.
    Yeah, this.
  • kill living beings
    it's freezing outside and the stop is a quarter mile up hill. y'all are jerks
    Hey, I've been in that exact position.
  • my parents still will, on occasion, drop me off at the bus stop because it's a mile downhill and that is less than safe to do when it is over 100 degrees or if it's super rainy.

but back when I actually took the school bus I either walked there myself (in middle school) or was walked there by my babysitter's middle schooler (when I was in kindergarten)
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    If you leave for work at roughly the same time you'd need to take your kid to the bus stop anyway, you might as well just drive them, I figure. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my mom would occasionally drive me there if it was raining hard.

otherwise I don't get it
    My schoolbus just came directly to my house, so this wasn't ever a thing I really experienced...
  • The only buses in my local district that do house-to-house are for the special ed kids. Otherwise there are like 5-6 main stops per route where they collect kids in the mornings and dump 'em out in the afternoon.
  • it's freezing outside and the stop is a quarter mile up hill. y'all are jerks

uphill both ways!

If you leave for work at roughly the same time you'd need to take your kid to the bus stop anyway, you might as well just drive them, I figure. 

Wait...

Centie, are these people who idle their cars with their kids inside waiting for the bus, or are these people who just drop their kids off at the bus stop and then go on to wherever (to work, back home, to the store, etc.)?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-01-19 20:36:00
    I mean where I'm from it's not uncommon to see stops with a mile or more in between.  Usually about a half-mile in the residential areas.

Also how safe is the neighborhood etc.
  • A mile is walkable in 20 minutes if you walk briskly, but I wouldn't exactly expect it of people even though I have done it myself.

I think half a mile or so is probably a reasonable maximum for walking (and thus minimum for driving), especially for younger children.  Maybe even shorter, depending on the terrain and neighborhood.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-01-19 21:09:56
    See the thing is, 20 minutes walking to a bus stop at fuck-off-o-clock is 20 minutes they could've been sleeping.  That makes a huge difference in how well they do at school, and it's already way too damn early.

Walking back, sure.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "fuck-off-o-clock" is a good phrase and you can be sure I'll use it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Wait...

Centie, are these people who idle their cars with their kids inside waiting for the bus, or are these people who just drop their kids off at the bus stop and then go on to wherever (to work, back home, to the store, etc.)?

The former. I should have specified this in the OP, heh.

That's part of what makes it so confusing to me. I could understand dropping your kids off to save them walking when the weather's bad or whatever, but why do you need to sit there with them in the car? My parents only ever did this when the wind chill made it dangerous to stand outside for more than a couple minutes, and even then school was usually closed before that would happen.
    Oh, yeah, for the most part that was a little strange to me.
  • Wait...

The former. I should have specified this in the OP, heh.

That's part of what makes it so confusing to me. I could understand dropping your kids off to save them walking when the weather's bad or whatever, but why do you need to sit there with them in the car? My parents only ever did this when the wind chill made it dangerous to stand outside for more than a couple minutes, and even then school was usually closed before that would happen.
    See, my mom would wait with me and my sister at the bus stop, though not in the car. So that's never seemed odd to me, though my mom is the classic definition of a Helicopter parent.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My mother did this for me in 6th grade, but only because it was cold out in the morning

Eventually she just started driving me to school
    I could see it being a time to socialize a bit with your kid, if you're not in a rush to head off. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-01-20 15:54:49
    Okay I'll admit idling right there is a bit much unless the weather is bad.  Can block the bus too.
    I should also note, perhaps, that I regularly observe this in my small suburban neighborhood. It'd be a bit different if we were talking about a rural area with miles between stops...