I have never played Pokémon

And my interest in the franchise, as minimal as it is, is purely aesthetic. Sometimes I feel like I was drawn to the wrong commercial furry franchises in Sonic and MLP.

But enough about that. What have I missed?

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I was always kinda surprised that you weren't into Pokemon. It seems like your kinda thing, since you know, you can obsessively collect Pokemon and level them up and stuff...

Of course, I say this after having played the games no more than a couple hours total...
  • what you've missed is a pretty standard JRPG that is made much more tolerable by the fact that all the characters are weird creatures that turn into other weird creatures as they get stronger.

It's not for everyone but I like the franchise a great deal.
  • edited 2016-11-02 09:04:27
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You missed weird animals that you can pet, is what.

These are two of my favorites, three guesses as to why:
  • You've missed the many hours that child!Toolsie spent in Pokemon on the Gameboy Colour, teen!Toolsie spent in the GBA Special and DS, and adult!Toolsie currently spends on the DSi.

Yeah, I like Pokemon.
  • It's one of two franchises from my childhood that I still play as an adult.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I feel like you've made this thread before.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Same.
  • edited 2016-11-02 16:11:11
    The only Pokémon game I've played to...not completion, but some sort of game end state, is Blue version, by beating the Elite Four and the rival. I have only played some of the second generation.

After that, I started college and basically I was already sick of trying to keep up with the very fast-moving media franchise, which was showing like seven episodes of the cartoon every Saturday morning.

Well actually I did play some of the TCG videogame in college. About halfway.

That's about it. I haven't touched the GBA or later games at all.

In a way, something about the series is still appealing to me, but it also has a bit of the "MMORPG problem" -- it feels so complex that I feel like I don't know what's going on, or at least I can't take advantage of everything and satisfy my completionist desire. And then there's the "one game for the price of two" problem, which has irritated me a bit.

Ironically, I have remarked that if they ever make a be-all-and-end-all Pokémon MMORPG, I'll play it. They haven't, though the closest they've come is Pokémon GO.

I recently did start to do something to finally bring some closure or better sense of satisfaction to my relationship with the series -- I started playing Pokémon Crystal Emu Edition, which is a romhack that lets me actually catch all 251 Pokémon without trading with other players. This would actually allow me to complete a Pokémon experience for the first time, and do so by playing a game that I still "recognize" in the sense of having an understanding of how it works and not feeling overwhelmed by alll the new features.

Unfortunately, I lost the save file I was using so I've put it down for a while. I'll restart it at some point.

TL;DR Pokéis near and dear to my heart but I've felt unable to act on that feeling for a while because the series kinda drifted away from me.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It's not too late to get into Pokémon! There’s no shortage of MLP/Pokémon or Sonic/Pokémon crossover fanfics -- I'm sure one of those would be perfect!
  • You missed weird animals that you can pet, is what.

These are two of my favorites, three guesses as to why:

THE CREAM

CREAM OF THE CROP
  • I had never really played the games either until recently! Will and my mom CONSPIRED and bought me a DS and Alpha Sapphire. It looks like this is as good a time as any to get into it since it's way easier to get unstuck these days thanks to the resources available on the interwebs for free!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've never played it either.

I like Miltank and Wobbuffet, though.