every Olympics now are a fucking disaster

why

Sochi had Don't Say Gay and massive cost overruns, Rio is a fucking trainwreck and has been for MONTHS...

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    They should really just keep it in Athens at this point
  • kill living beings
    you need a bunch of sports infrastructure that is, well, olympic-quality, so there's a bunch of huge time limited construction projects, in the middle of a city

you are doing this for the sake of international tourists, so in order to "look good" you need to pretend you don't have the actual problems you do, so you have to line up homeless people in front of firing squads and so on
  • (obligatory mention of the corrupt nature of both the IOC and FIFA)
  • Hey, London 2012 was pretty awesome
  • kill living beings
    maybe, but they also installed a SAM battery on top of an occupied apartment building
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Toolsie said:

Hey, London 2012 was pretty awesome

I was not knocking them

Though I almost did because of the Olympic ring policing
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You forgot the fact that Russia set the Winter Olympics in a city that has actual palm trees and the harbour at Rio being polluted with sewage.
    That's part of the Rio trainwreck. But I was unaware of Sochi having actual palm trees.
    It's a summer vacation destination. It's one of the warmest places in Russia. It has actual beaches and it almost never snows there.
    Now I know!
    Like, seriously, though, why couldn't the IOC pull the Olympics from Rio and move them to London or some other location that might be able to to it in a pinch? Bribe money?
  • kill living beings
    but the prestige
  • but the prestige

how else will Brazil secure a personal union over Bolivia.
  • kill living beings
    defeating the fearsome bolivian navy

but the prestige

they seriously think hosting an Olympics where athletes might fall ill or spread diseases is prestigious?
  • Anonus said:

but the prestige

they seriously think hosting an Olympics where athletes might fall ill or spread diseases is prestigious?
    to be fair, when they planned this, they didn't know zika would be a thing
  • edited 2016-08-04 03:11:15

I can't believe the IOC wants to kill Robert Downey Jr.'s clone
    They're trying to rid the world of duplicates. Every twin must die.

Anonus said:

but the prestige

to be fair, when they planned this, they didn't know zika would be a thing
    Well, no, but it just seems like there should be like some sort of contingency in place, or a willingness on the IOC's part to have a backup locale in case the new one can't host (and I mean REALLY can't host, like in this case).
  • kill living beings
    zika doesn't make it impossible to host. basic episdemiology will tell you that any Olympic Games is going to be a disease orgy and i sorta doubt any of the athletes are pregnant
  • kill living beings
    and nobody plans for a plague. it's like, when you plan your tea party in seattle you don't make contingencies for when rainier erupts and incinerates you, you know? shit is not predictable and not very dealwithable.
    There have been times when I wanted to move out of this state to get out of Mt. Yellowstone's blast range...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-04 04:20:55
    There's zero evidence Yellowstone is going to erupt anytime soon.  Like...on the scale of thousands of years.  And chances are we'd see it coming months ahead of time.

Honestly compared to Pacific Coast faults, Tornado Alley, and hurricanes along the Atlantic, Wyoming is probably one of the places in the country that's the most geologically safe and least likely to get its shit wrecked at a moment's notice.  The kind of thermal activity in Yellowstone is about as benign as it gets as long as you don't go waltzing around thin crusts or diving in acid pools.
    Well, good.
  • Odradek said:

They should really just keep it in Athens at this point

Usually Imi makes this comment, but you really pulled it together this time, Myr. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    SLC 2002 is the best olympics.

I actually got to go to events at that one, as a young little Rozzy.
    Aliroz said:

SLC 2002 is the best olympics.

I actually got to go to events at that one, as a young little Rozzy.

it was the last time they were in the US