Favorite '80s song?

2»

Comments

• Apparently everyone thinks I'm not so I guess the answer is no.

I will go do something else then idk.

(to not make this sound like a complete ramble I just got two pms that are like 'hey are you ok' and then also that comment)
  • im glad you feel better

(*plays some very happy 80s song to celebrate*)
  • Anyway I like the poppier side of new wave music and synthpop is a great gift to this world (this is why I was happy when "Shut Up & Dance" came out last year. Or was that 2014? I forget actually).
  • Alright so today I learned that this record was apparently seriously overprinted and people are literally selling the 12'' on Discogs for a buck.

I am strongly considering purchasing a copy of "Dancing In Heaven" by Q-Feel on vinyl despite not owning a record player.
  • edited 2016-07-31 22:10:25
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think it came out earlier but only gained traction as a single in 2015.

I think that my personal thoughts on synthesiser-based music should be abundantly clear by this point, so my sympathies should also be a bit obvious.
  • Honestly if I had a decent singing voice and a better command of chord progression I would 100% be a one-girl synthpop act. I've even thought of names before.
  • edited 2016-07-31 22:18:45
    Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

Corvina said:

Heart and Soul -- Joy Division
    Blue Monday -- New Order
    M -- The Cure
    A God in an Alcove -- Bauhaus
    Thursday's Child -- The Chameleons
    Once in a Lifetime -- Talking Heads
    Driven Like the Snow -- The Sisters of Mercy
    Talk About the Weather -- Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
    Molly's Lips -- The Vaselines

There are others I'm sure but these come to mind first

Most of these are quite good, although few are personal favourites. I mean, "Thursday's Child" is nowhere near "Second Skin" or "Perfume Garden" for me, the former being kind of perfect; "M" has a sterling main riff, but structurally it's a bit inert, and there are so many other great songs from that period of their career; and "Once in a Lifetime"... well, uh, OK, no problem there, but most of that album is that good.
    I mean, a lot of these aren't the *best*, just my favourite. Also I'm trying to limit it to one song per artist here

EDIT: ah yeah you acknowledge that never mind
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, I'm not critiquing your taste, just saying I feel slightly differently.

I mean, I personally think that The Chameleons are seriously underrated as a shoegaze forebear, and really just in general, so seeing them come up doesn't exactly elicit a complaint from me.
  • Wouldn't it be that they're more of a shoegaze footwear.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Did I mention The Cure's "Fascination Street"? that song is great too
    That is a great song, yes, and the title track from that album.
    Jane said:

Wouldn't it be that they're more of a shoegaze footwear.

What now?
  • That is a great song, yes, and the title track from that album.

Jane said:

Wouldn't it be that they're more of a shoegaze footwear.

What now?
    it's a pun.
    A pun which I do not understand, alas.

Also: If I haven't mentioned it already, just imagine I've already declared Dome 2 by Dome one of the best LPs of the 1980s and go listen to it.
  • forbearer

footwear

shoe gaze

eh?

eh??
  • A pun which I do not understand, alas.

Also: If I haven't mentioned it already, just imagine I've already declared Dome 2 by Dome one of the best LPs of the 1980s and go listen to it.

I have a hard enough time making myself listen to records that I independently want to listen to

forbearer

footwear

shoe gaze

eh?

eh??

...ohhhhhhh.
    Jane said:

A pun which I do not understand, alas.

I have a hard enough time making myself listen to records that I independently want to listen to

I was saying in general.

By the way, I am putting together some albums to email you, so stay tuned.