Eliezer Yudkowsky

Let me read a letter I recently received. "Dear Eliezer. Why has the Combine seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle? Sincerely, An Aspiring Rationalist." 

Thank you for writing, Aspiring. Of course your question touches on one of the most basic biological impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of the species. I also detect some unspoken questions. Do our benefactors really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for mankind? Will they ever deactivate the suppression field and let us breed again? 

Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our genetic imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets. 

I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct coddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce. 

We should thank our benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars. 

Let me assure you that the suppressing field will be shut off on the day that we have mastered ourselves...the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

And it will have catgirl waifus

Comments

• Catgirl waifus? count me the fuck in
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Ewwwww, catgirls?
  • aliroz are you racist against catpeople
    (2015 self)
    Hey, I routinely see cats bite off the heads of little songbirds, and it makes me sad.

They never seem to catch the Starlings, though.  Only the bluebirds and the finches and the chickadees and the hummingbirds.
    (2015 self)
    So yes, I am racist against catpeople.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Yudkowsky drops these sly references to catgirls or trashy anime in a way that I think is supposed to be interpreted as a whimsical sly "aren't I such a scamp for dropping references to low culture in my serious discussion of serious topics" but he always does it, and it eventually becomes clear he hasn't read above the YA level in years, and is pretty culturally ignorant.

Which wouldn't be so bad, except he tries to present himself as a Serious Intellectual without ever having to move outside his comfort zone.
  • the man in the high sandcastle
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No birdgirls?
  • kill living beings
    um a little thing called THE LAWS OF PHYSICS makes birdflight IMPOSSIBLE, st upid

maybe in sims

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a birdgirl should be able to fly.
    Wow. Awful.

He's not getting my support.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    WHAT IF
    THE BIRDGIRL
    WAS ONE FOOT TALL
    CUDDLING WOULD ENSUE.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-03 18:07:19
    Honestly Yudkowsky is such a weirdo that I can rarely tell when stuff like this is stuff he actually said or not, nor can I tell if it's part of his sci-fi or actual beliefs.  You can only be so creepily pseudo-religious about the oncoming day of science's glorious triumph over all before things like that become ambiguous.
    You can tell it's not him by not sounding like the atheist version of a shitty sermon at a megachurch, and by being at slightly less than maximum smug levels.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-03 18:14:16
    It spends all of one sentence actually answering the question by barely mentioning between the lines that immortality and overpopulation don't mix well as abstract concepts without actually saying it overtly, followed by a page-long rant of why instincts and superstition are evil and he for one welcomes our new robot overlords.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would not put past the real guy.  It's like Trump jokes.
  • kill living beings
    it's a speech by breen (a nefarious transhumanist) in half life two. spoiler.
    Bee said:

It spends all of one sentence actually answering the question by barely mentioning between the lines that immortality and overpopulation don't mix well as abstract concepts without actually saying it overtly, followed by a page-long rant of why instincts and superstition are evil and he for one welcomes our new robot overlords.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would not put past the real guy.  It's like Trump jokes.
    I mean the CONTENT is very Yudkowskian
  • edited 2016-06-03 18:50:23

i can't believe that odradek thinks that yud thinks that video game enemies are real, how irrational #owned
    Actually:
    compare:
    "my community cares about trying to have useful insights, how about yours?" "uh, mine is for making fun of that" 
     sneer culture is the intellectual equivalent of "I have a gf but she lives in Canada"

To:
    Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?... I thought not. 

I have laid the foundation for humanity's survival, and not as we have narrowly defined ourselves but as something greater than we could ever imagine, something that we can now only begin to glimpse. 

Look, Gordon, look at what you are throwing away. Is it worth it?
    Uncanny
  • kill living beings
    Eh, that's a common stupid argument tactic, it's not just this particular species of asshole doing it. It's even on tvtropes!
    It has come to my attention that some have lately called me a collaborator, as if such a term were shameful. I ask you, what greater endeavor exists than that of collaboration? In our current unparalleled enterprise, refusal to collaborate is simply a refusal to grow--an insistence on suicide, if you will. 

Did the lungfish refuse to breathe air? It did not. It crept forth boldly while its brethren remained in the blackest ocean abyss, with lidless eyes forever staring at the dark, ignorant and doomed despite their eternal vigilance. Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud? 

In order to be true to our nature, and our destiny, we must aspire to greater things. We have outgrown our cradle. It is futile to cry for mother's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the stars. And only the universal union that small minds call 'The Combine' and our own faith in Bayesianism can carry us there. 

Therefore I say, yes, I am a collaborator. We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification. And reap we shall.
  • kill living beings
    breen's speeches are masterpieces of worthless rhetoric, in retrospect
    (2015 self)
    Can't reap, I've got no sickle.
  • kill living beings
    maybe you could use... a combine harvester
  • who names their kid Breen

who names their kid Breen

His first name is Wallace
  • kill living beings
    one of the guys irl he's sorta based on is named Kuckuck, so there is that
  • it's a speech by breen (a nefarious transhumanist) in half life two. spoiler.

Okay, see, I haven't played that.
  • Bee said:

I haven't played it either but you see I just so happen to know that the combine isn't a real thing

Bee said:

I haven't played it either but you see I just so happen to know that the combine isn't a real thing
    Yes. it is an offensive term to refer to Our Benefactors as
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-04 01:54:11
    See, my knowledge of Half Life is entirely limited to Full Life Consequences and "there's this gravity gun thingy".  And that it's loosely related to Portal, which I have played.
  • I also know nothing of half life beyond Gordon Freedman who has to save his brother or whatever but like
    Bee said:

See, my knowledge of Half Life is entirely limited to Full Life Consequences and "there's this gravity gun thingy".  And that it's loosely related to Portal, which I have played.

I also know nothing of half life beyond Gordon Freedman who has to save his brother or whatever but like

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    tbf if you're not familiar with it, 'the combine' could easily be some obscure internet rationalist jargon like 'basilisk' or 'moloch'
  • edited 2016-06-04 03:14:06
    kill living beings
    the plot is that Breen, the director of Los Alamos ("Black Mesa") conspired with aliens to make a dimensional tear thing that causes the first game; after the first game ended the player character is in weird stasis for years, during which time Breen's pals invade through said dimensional tears and make the earth into a colony, with breen as administrator.

the alien empire, not species exactly, is called "the Combine", possibly as a reference to One Flew Over but i don't think it's explicitly known.* their thing is that they do normal colonial things (oppress people in various ways including disabling human reproduction, take resources most obviously by draining the oceans, bla bla) and raise armies of colonized (and because it's sci-fi, physically modified) individuals which they ship elsewhere throughout the empire. so the enemy troops you fight in game are mostly transhumans, along with a few trans-aliens of various species.

it's sort of a neat plot and yud would probably go for it if he knew the Combine was run by an AI. and competent enough to be the administrator of los alamos.

* so, jargon in a lot of the same ways as the internet works, since it's a book about a schizophrenic
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Of course, the Combine suffer the crippling disadvantage of being unable to see a man hiding behind a small glass jar.