IJBM: Organic food ads

PETTY GRIEVANCE TIME: I fucking hate how organic food is advertised. organic food itself i don't really care about, but god damn the scaremongering fucking garbage they sell themselves on gets to me.
like obviously it's based on fear. obviously it's based on ignorance. obviously it sells itself based on oh a kid says it, i don't want to hurt my fucking kid!

but beyond that. beyond that, what does a person swayed by this ad fucking eat? Jimmy, I don't want you eating any weird foods like monosodium glutamate, or tikka masala, or fettucine alfredo. they might have been made by guidos, or worse, engineers! stick with something natural like fish sticks.
and this, i mean, it's basically what they all mean. freaky foods. don't want anything freaky, weird, unknown. god forbid anyone actually learn what something is so they can evaluate what it is for themselves. that's not how we operate here in american stereotype kitchen. get your information only from god given sources like your grandma and infowars.

i really fucking hate this one, actually, because I'm sure I said exactly the same thing to my parents at some point. I was probably like, mom, I don't want to eat this weird meat juice, and she was like what the gravy? And I was like yeah and I don't know how to spell gravy. And she was like ok great, I'll also take ice cream off the menu since I don't know that's made, and also dark rooms and large slides since you're a goddamn six year old, now eat your fucking food

because that's what you do as a parent, yeah? You recalibrate your kid's sense of what's scary and what's normal since we live in a complex world and as it happens it's not immediately obvious what kinds of mushrooms in the brush are tasty and which ones kill you. You teach them! And if you don't know the answer you try to figure out enough of one to make a decision! Fuck! Maybe you say "I don't know what that is, I'll stick with what I know is safe", fine, but you don't drive this fucking fear of the unknown into your goddamn family because you don't have the time to learn about the history of maize cultivation

Fuck
Tagged:

Comments