Disney's cool factor bothers me.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Can you elaborate at all?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

People fawn over the MCU and new Star Wars and Disney Animated Canon. They are enjoyable, but rarely does anyone say "Disney needs to be taken down a peg." Certainly not like when Michael "Naked Emperor" Eisner was in charge.
  • Probably because the company hasn't been nearly as grossly mismanaged lately as it was under Eisner.

I mean they're still a rapacious, soulless company, but slightly less so than they were in the early 2000s.
    they're much more overtly licensing-oriented than they used to be, it seems

also, I really hope ESPN dies on them
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    They need to be taken down several pegs.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    tbh the only thing I actually, truly resent about Disney is their perversion of U.S. copyright law

tbh the only thing I actually, truly resent about Disney is their perversion of U.S. copyright law

Not how far up their own ass they are as an organization?
  • Anonus said:

People fawn over the MCU and new Star Wars and Disney Animated Canon. They are enjoyable, but rarely does anyone say "Disney needs to be taken down a peg." 
    People don't say that often about any company.

Of the few that do get that said about them, Disney is probably up there on the list somewhere near McDonald's.
  • edited 2015-12-22 00:42:30
    kill living beings
    Anonus said:

Nobody cares much about the nonexistent "personality" of an organization. Except you, I guess. We care about their effects on us. Making copyright law and enforcement more harsh is an effect on us.
    I don't know, maybe it's because I watched a lot more television as a youngun, but the Walt Disney Company always seemed to take itself way too seriously.
    Also, now, they are so dominant in several areas that no one really seriously challenges them. Even cartoon creators never seem to want to make fun of them anymore.
  • edited 2015-12-22 00:46:58
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus said:

Nobody cares much about the nonexistent "personality" of an organization. Except you, I guess. We care about their effects on us. Making copyright law and enforcement more harsh is an effect on us.
    It is, and I dislike that greatly.

Also, it is possible for organizations to exude certain vibes.
  • kill living beings
    Yeah but who cares about vibes. I am all kinds of more concerned with getting a billion dollar fine for downloading a movie. Some barely discernable epiphenomenon produced by marketing drones and stockholder reports doesn't matter to me.
  • Anonus said:

Also, now, they are so dominant in several areas that no one really seriously challenges them. Even cartoon creators never seem to want to make fun of them anymore.

I feel like that latter part is more just because as a whole the industry has sort of just... moved on from it?

Like, there was that point in the 90's when they were the most acceptable of targets (Animaniacs in particular comes to mind as a frequent source of heckling), but these days there isn't as much of an incentive since basically everything that there is to say about the company has already been said somewhere else.

There's also the whole thing with them being responsible for some of the best modern cartoons around (Wander Over Yonder, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb etc.) , though I guess I'd attribute that more to the creators than Disney themselves.

Yeah but who cares about vibes. I am all kinds of more concerned with getting a billion dollar fine for downloading a movie. Some barely discernable epiphenomenon produced by marketing drones and stockholder reports doesn't matter to me.

I understand and relate.
    Tre said:

Anonus said:

I feel like that latter part is more just because as a whole the industry has sort of just... moved on from it?

Like, there was that point in the 90's when they were the most acceptable of targets (Animaniacs in particular comes to mind as a frequent source of heckling), but these days there isn't as much of an incentive since basically everything that there is to say about the company has already been said somewhere else.

There's also the whole thing with them being responsible for some of the best modern cartoons around (Wander Over Yonder, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb etc.) , though I guess I'd attribute that more to the creators than Disney themselves.
    They're too goddamned good.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-22 01:01:17

This, and the fact that Disney tends to be pretty abusive to its own employees and doesn't even begin to bother enforcing its overseas worker safety regulations (or even the more lax Chinese labor laws).
    This is why no one makes fun of them anymore. They're too goddamn good. They even got me! (When my CEO persona doesn't bleed into my real one at least)
  • That's not actually why, though.

No one likes anything that's Disney because it's Disney.
    Jane said:

That's not actually why, though.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying that their product had gotten so pleasing that people can't really skewer it.
    I am aware of the heavy, heavy irony of that statement coming from me.
  • edited 2015-12-22 01:10:14
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Disney was an acceptable target back in the 1990s because while they had the technical prowess and they had the writing, they weren't OMG EJJY enough. I remember the person who maintained one of the TTA episode guides being very grossed out at the Flea-o episodes because they reminded him too much of Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers. 

I liked that show and I liked those episodes, so I didn't get the hate, but then, these were also people expecting Family Guy-esque dirty jokes and blackout comedy on a kids' show. (a.t.t-t back then didn't seem to like overt cuteness of any sort, since they didn't like the Little Plucky episodes, either.) The Simpsons had been out less than a year when TTA premiered, and people were scrambling to catch up.
  • Anonus said:

Jane said:

That's not actually why, though.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying that their product had gotten so pleasing that people can't really skewer it.
    I think it's less that and more that there's just nothing funny about it anymore.

It's like

you could make fun of the giant faceless corporation that runs much of your life, but it'll ultimately just depress you, so why?
    search me!

I don't know why I get like this. Not even my own writing pokes at Disney this hard. I think I actually hold more contempt for Universal.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-12-22 01:19:52
    Anonus said:

I think I actually hold more contempt for Universal.

Tre said:

I think I actually hold more contempt for Comcast.

Not just Comcast. Universal. It makes me sad that Comcast owns Universal now, but on the other hand, I hate Jurassic World, I hate the Minions, and I'm sure The Fast and the Furious is going to find some way to offend me.
    Oh, I hope Comcast sells NBCU at some point. I don't believe they're going to own NBCU for the rest of time.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I honestly do not understand why any layman would care about where their products come from.

The individual has no power or agency in these matters.
  • what cool factor
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Actually yeah, that too.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Remember Disney's BLAM! 

Remember when someone parodied it with Up
  • edited 2015-12-22 01:37:17
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

what cool factor

The cool factor generated by the Animated Canon, MCU and now Star Wars, also Disney XD's cartoons
    Zeether said:

Remember Disney's BLAM! 

Remember when someone parodied it with Up
    BLAM! is awful, have not seen the Up version
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Did you forget how everybody hates Let it Go after hearing it for too many times?

Also, dunno where you're from, my family makes fun of Disney all the time.
    I read the showbiz press too much. They love Disney and their money.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Well, there's your problem, Nonny.

You don't like the taste of kool-aid ,but you've hooked up your plumbing to the kool-aid factory.
    Yeah, well, they don't represent anything but their own views.

Show business is an incestuous inbred industry and we all know it.
  • edited 2015-12-22 01:42:50
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    MachSpeed said:

incestuous

GROSS!
    MachSpeed said:

incestuous inbred

OH MAN DOUBLE GROSS!
    MachSpeed said:

incestuous inbred industry

AW DANG TRIPLE GROSS!

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

You don't like the taste of kool-aid ,but you've hooked up your plumbing to the kool-aid factory.

Aliroz is right.
  • Aliroz said:

Aliroz is right.

• Aliroz said:

Did you forget how everybody hates Let it Go after hearing it for too many times?

what? It's one of A$AP Ferg's best songs.
  • edited 2015-12-22 01:48:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    ???

Never heard of A$AP Ferg.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Aliroz said:

Aliroz is right.

I like Tropical Punch Kool-Aid, but not Disney's-on-Fire Kool-Aid
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    drinkin' the kool-aid
  • Aliroz said:

???

Never heard of A$AP Ferg.

This is probably for the best.