Anime

Comments

• edited 2015-12-17 12:36:36

now i am watching.... Ah! My Goddess

"I'm sorry, but going to museums is only for old, boring people"

brutal
  • The rec list looks okay.

As does the one that's linked in itz comments.

Main trouble with rec lists in general though is that they tend to be (1) just series that everyone has already heard about and (2) mainly recent stuff.

There are a few attempts at rectifying that in that first image, such as by including Symphogear (which addresses with problem (1)), but it's still largely famous stuff.
  • now i am watching.... Ah! My Goddess

"I'm sorry, but going to museums is only for old, boring people"

brutal
    I had thought to start watching this the other day for some reason

maybe my desire somehow passed on to you
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    watch ouran high school host club
    this is not really relevant to anything but i thought it was important to say
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yes, do it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He has seen at least part of it and said it was good but a bit too hyper for him. I really liked it, personally.

I have heard good things about Sora no Woto, and apparently the trumpeting thing is really accurate which is icing on the cake of such an odd combo of premise and vibe. The warm spacey shoegaze/post-rock group Lunaire named an instrumental after it and it is one of the best things I've heard from them so there's also that.
  • I have started watching Onepunchman mostly because one of the supporting characters is cute as fuck.

It's good so far tho, though surprisingly intense? Like I wasn't quite expecting actual semi-serious fight scenes I guess.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jane said:

I have started watching Onepunchman mostly because one of the supporting characters is cute as fuck.

It's good so far tho, though surprisingly intense? Like I wasn't quite expecting actual semi-serious fight scenes I guess.
    latest
  • kill living beings
    Jane said:

I have started watching Onepunchman mostly because one of the supporting characters is cute as fuck.

one of the gags is someone who's not hilariously invincible gets into a fight with the monster, and they go on being serious, and i mean they could actually die so of course they're serious. then saitama shows up and that's that.
  • Jane said:

one of the gags is someone who's not hilariously invincible gets into a fight with the monster, and they go on being serious, and i mean they could actually die so of course they're serious. then saitama shows up and that's that.
    I'm only halfway through episode 2 and this has already happened twice
    Final note for the night: Hunter x Hunter is wrecking my shit. It is going to make me cry. Seriously.
  • Jane said:

latest
    it's half this and half a guy getting eaten alive by mosquitos in graphic detail
  • kill living beings
    Jane said:

Jane said:

I'm only halfway through episode 2 and this has already happened twice
    eheh.
  • I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but there's this guy on Reddit's anime subreddit who makes these rec pics and they're really informative and what not.

Imgur link's here, if you want it.

Whoever made this included One Outs! on there so he gets some respect from me, at least as far as recommending anime go.
  • Jane said:

One Punch Man is good.

I'm glad you like it. How far are you into it?
  • is Episode 11 the last one out right now? Hulu doesn't have anymore after it.

also I'm told the manga gets unspecifically "darker" as it goes on. Does anyone have any idea how bad it gets?
  • kill living beings
    i read up to, uh, the alien invasion or whatever, that's a few years of manga in. it didn't really strike me as very much "darker". there's more serious crap but there's still Saitama's okface and such
  • i read up to, uh, the alien invasion or whatever, that's a few years of manga in. it didn't really strike me as very much "darker". there's more serious crap but there's still Saitama's okface and such

yeah but there's 20some chapters after that now.

Final note for the night: Hunter x Hunter is wrecking my shit. It is going to make me cry. Seriously.

What part did you get to.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Initial D is a great show that everyone should watch

What part did you get to.

Just finished it.

I did.

I cried.

On three different occasions. Sort of.

Spoiler:
    I came very close when Killua broke down talking to Palm, and basically broke down myself with Meruem's final game with Komugi. (Also: "I did not deserve their loyalty.")

And then I actually straight up wept when Reina and her mother reunited.

Finally: Nanika. Killua. "I'm so sorry for being a bad big brother."

I am a sap.
    Yay! Now you can wait forever for there to be enough material for a sequel series!

Although a sequel series would have to include this page, so, you know

hunter-x-hunter-5009975.jpg
    I am aware.

There will probably be a situation akin to the 1999 series where they wind up releasing an OVA or shorter follow-up whenever there's enough manga to adapt. As it stands, they seem to be making the occasional film from stuff Togashi either wrote but left out of the manga and stray ideas that would have been enjoyable filler if the show had, like, any filler whatsoever.

I mean, even the stuff I thought was kinda meh (not bad, just not my thing) wasn't actually filler and generally paid off later or had a point.

qq is this fanart for something? if so, what
  • she looks like she might be a Pretty Cure character?

Not sure which series though, there's like 20 Pretty Cure shows.
  • I don't think she's a Precure character.
    The new artstyle looks nice in motion, which is what you want.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    JOJO'S BACK
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what a beautiful duwang
  • edited 2015-12-27 09:00:07
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So.

Alien Nine is really good, in fact better than good, my very ideal of what a horror anime should be like... and I really wish there were more of it.

I mean, I can read the manga, and I will, gladly. But I wish JC Staff had had the druthers to make this a twelve-episode series. I mean, it's exactly that long, Emulators excepted, and that wasn't even out for another two years...
  • So.

Alien Nine is really good, in fact better than good, my very ideal of what a horror anime should be like... and I really wish there were more of it.

I mean, I can read the manga, and I will, gladly. But I wish JC Staff had had the druthers to make this a twelve-episode series. I mean, it's exactly that long, Emulators excepted, and that wasn't even out for another two years...

I've been meaning to tell you about this, but since you liked HxH so much, you should read Level E. It's not a straight horror series and is has a lot of humor in it, but I remember the horror that was there being really well done. I get the feeling you'd really dig the art style of the manga too.
  • I watched the first ep of Alien Nine about six years ago, and it stuck in my head as a quirky little series of only 3 eps, so I tried to finish it like a year ago or so, but I could barely get myself to rewatch the first ep. I just...didn't enjoy it. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable; it just bored me. I don't know why.

On the other hand, speaking of horror series, a friend of mine did recently troll me with Gakkougurashi, and I might continue watching that.

So.

I've been meaning to tell you about this, but since you liked HxH so much, you should read Level E. It's not a straight horror series and is has a lot of humor in it, but I remember the horror that was there being really well done. I get the feeling you'd really dig the art style of the manga too.

I will look into it! Togashi seems like an interesting dude.

On an entirely different note: Nido to Mezamenu Komori Uta is fucking insane. It is like a Japanoise cassette in anime form, and just as lo-fi and mind-bending.
    Apparently there's a quick shot of Alluka playing with Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask toys in the anime, probably as a quick shout out to the missus.
    Hehehehe.

Alluka's story made me really sad for a couple of reasons.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This isn't really riveting commentary or anything, but, like, Alluka is so cute. That is all.
    ^^ Oh, she is adorable. I do not think that is in question.

^ I think that a lot when I see nifty Pixiv stuff.
  • [Angel Beats]

She was the most irritating character. I fully expected this episode to be cringeworthy.

but instead i am crying ;_;
  • edited 2015-12-28 15:41:08
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

^^ Oh, she is adorable. I do not think that is in question.

One of my select few negative experiences with HxH was finding out there are people who do not like Alluka/are annoyed by Alluka.

What a trip, really.

v Cor-rect, last check. Outdated.
    Also I think the wiki still uses male pronouns.
  • Also I think the wiki still uses male pronouns.

the wiki manages to avoid gendered pronouns entirely
    The wiki was written by this character 

BALLOON+LAND3.png
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    is that the pincushion man?

i saw that once as a kid and it was horrifying to me
    Yes
    Apparently the reason the wiki avoids pronouns entirely boils down to a very stupid argument amongst the moderators over the data book, which, if I am not mistaken, was written long before Alluka was introduced and basically just says, "The fourth of the five sons has not yet been introduced."

Which makes me think Togashi was playing his cards close to the vest more than anything, but canon nitpickers are a stupid breed to begin with.