Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Also a very early Akiyuki Shinbo series.

If you don't know that name... *meaningful psychotic head tilt*
  • oddly I recall no head-tilting in PaniPoniDash!

anyway one of these days I'll put you on to something you didn't already know about
    Yeah, Shinbo is the main director at SHAFT, although technically he was a freelancer until recently. If a show has a lot of weird angles and technically difficult edits, head tilts, symbolic imagery and intense colour stuff with a generally kind of cool, detached directing style... it's probably either Shinbo or a follower or imitator. It's an extremely distinctive style, to the point that his recent work has veered into self-parody, PMMM aside.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I wish there was a proper Negima anime
    It doesn't seem like my thing at all. Apparently the Shinbo-directed series is pretty decent, but eh.

Speaking of Shinbo, The Soul-Taker looks outrageous enough that I might watch it.
  • Negima is to my understanding basically a really strange harem story that takes place in a fantasy world.

I'm told it's better than it sounds but the manga is massive, so I have no plans to read it any time soon. Might as well read the original run of Dragon Ball at that point.
    Yeah.

Or, as I am doing, Hunter x Hunter, which is really, really good, you guys. Like, really good.
  • edited 2015-12-16 15:46:23
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Importing this into here upon Tach's request:
    Tachyon said:

i meant rebellion, didn't see Myr's post

i will probably watch it at some point but i think Madoka was fine the way it was

I might be the only person who thought that there were deficiencies in Madoka that Rebellion corrected.

It did admittedly take me a rewatch to catch them, though.

(I hasten to add that this isn't a GMH type of thing, since I did like Madoka even before Rebellion.)
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Madoka was an intriguing and artistically appreciable but exhaustingly bleak show

it was with that context that the ending stuck with me the way it did, and i'm a little apprehensive that any change might ruin that

don't get me wrong, i definitely mean to watch it.  when i get around to it, though.  and i might wanna rewatch the series first.

i dunno, i hate arguing about Madoka, like i can see why GMH dislikes aspects of it but those aspects are always bits that i thought were strengths, not flaws, so i'm like "no stop suggesting changes that will RUIN it"

also i feel like probably my reaction to Madoka had a LOT to do with my emotional state when i watched it and therefore i don't feel comfortable debating it or confident that i can give a rational assessment of it
  • edited 2015-12-16 15:52:48
    I rewatched the series before I first watched Rebellion, too. It was a seriously good thing that I did.

Once again, I am trying not to be GMH about this, since how he argues about the series kinda irritates me, too.

Without spoiling Rebellion for you, there were certain aspects of Homura's relationship with Madoka that I thought didn't quite add up once they dawned on me during my rewatch. That's essentially the main thing I meant with my last post.
    Homura was the most interesting character so i guess that gives me incentive to watch it
  • haha i now have a "thing" named after me

I actually have a similarly unpopular opinion regarding Evangelion but the pattern is different.

I have yet to watch Rebellion so there's really no good way even for me to tell whether I'll like it or not. I can only guess. From what I've heard about it it is pretty insane, which just means guessing is less likely to work, though by no means does it mean it won't either.

Yeah, Shinbo is the main director at SHAFT, although technically he was a freelancer until recently. If a show has a lot of weird angles and technically difficult edits, head tilts, symbolic imagery and intense colour stuff with a generally kind of cool, detached directing style... it's probably either Shinbo or a follower or imitator. It's an extremely distinctive style, to the point that his recent work has veered into self-parody, PMMM aside.

This sounds like it may actually have been a significant reason I was not too much a fan of MadoMagi, one that I'd neglected mainly because people kept on emphasizing Urobuchi's contribution.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

Homura was the most interesting character so i guess that gives me incentive to watch it

There is a very strong case to make that she is actually the main character of Madoka, and Rebellion does keep with that.
    i kinda look at it like, Madoka *would* have been the main character, were it not for Homura
  • Tachyon said:

also i feel like probably my reaction to Madoka had a LOT to do with my emotional state when i watched it and therefore i don't feel comfortable debating it or confident that i can give a rational assessment of it

I'd say whatever you felt of it is fair.

I've recently come to the realization that media is far more enjoyable when one can relate it to one's life.

Tachyon said:

i kinda look at it like, Madoka *would* have been the main character, were it not for Homura

Regarding the main series, I agree with this -- which, if anything, says that the core of the magical girl tropes are actually based in what would be an initially sensible/normal/expectable human reaction to things, because that's basically what Madoka Kaname does/represents.
  • My thoughts on Madoka: I admire it for its superb execution and design, and i cried a little at the end, but i never really connected to any of the characters
    i figure i should put this here
  • so, it didn't really "mean" a lot to me

kind of like how i felt about FLCL, but to a lesser degree

by which i mean watching FLCL was like....

sitting in on someone else's transcendental, life-changing experience

a very strange feeling
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    My interest in Madoka begins and ends with admiration for its execution and design, so I can get that. I guess that might be one other reason why I don't talk about the series very much, just in general.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I was going to watch Kill La Kill but Netflix pulled some chicanery where they listed the English language cast but only had the sub
  • the sub is better
  • edited 2015-12-16 16:57:09

this is how i felt about madomagi actually

the characters were hard to connect to, except for Homura in an unexpected way
  • it's a very awkward feeling, like you are interrupting
  • edited 2015-12-16 17:00:18
    it's like, from what people told me before i watched it, it was supposed to be a transcendental, life-changing experience

but then i watched it, and found that it was, indeed, someone else's transcendental, life-changing experience

but it was not mine

it was indeed awkward, too (though i didn't feel the interrupting part)
  • My dreams exceed my real life

i google image searched this to see if this was real and i discovered that you can buy hand colored signed prints of individual Zippy strips for 185 bucks

The eyes are good shorthand for the emotional state of a character. You see this in cartoons on this side of the Pacific just as often, just not in the more "traditional" comic book style; that it is more prevalent in Japanese comics and animation is a cultural thing, but it is by no means just a Japan thing.
  • kill living beings
    damn jane, did nobody tell you about despera? i already went through the "holy shit!!" "aw fuck" holy shit!!" "aw fuck" cycle, like, five times, two years ago
  • kill living beings
    anyway here's ain destroying the entire japanese mechanized

• edited 2015-12-16 19:15:14

My thoughts on Madoka: I admire it for its superb execution and design, and i cried a little at the end, but i never really connected to any of the characters
    i figure i should put this here
    I felt the same until Rebellion, honestly.

so, it didn't really "mean" a lot to me

a very strange feeling
    That experience was pretty much mine, so...

If it helps, I pretty much felt this way when playing Yume Nikki.

the sub is better

The dub doesn't seem appreciably worse than the sub to me, the inexplicable decision to leave "kamui" untranslated aside.
  • damn jane, did nobody tell you about despera? i already went through the "holy shit!!" "aw fuck" holy shit!!" "aw fuck" cycle, like, five times, two years ago

nobody ever tells me anything, Tzetze

anyway here's ain destroying the entire japanese mechanized

good.
  • so, it didn't really "mean" a lot to me

a very strange feeling
    I think that's what FLCL is supposed to feel like.
  • kill living beings
    one of the better jojokes, thank you myrmidon
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I made some ugly noises, I say.
  • edited 2015-12-17 08:56:39
    I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but there's this guy on Reddit's anime subreddit who makes these rec pics and they're really informative and what not.

Imgur link's here, if you want it.
  • Hunter x Hunter is the best "casual fun" recommendation ive ever seen
  • edited 2015-12-17 09:17:05

not to get too down on the guy or anything, this thing i am looking at seems ok for the most part
  • anyways im watchin penguindrum cuz i cant sleep wooooo

great moments in anime history
  • Penguindrum: Love is a fucked up emotion, you rotten-in-the-head bitch of a pig's ass

• im watching Sound of the Sky now

• i feel like

i should watch this with sredni

just a hunch i feel

so i will be setting it aside
  • Sound of The Sky is an iyashikei.

Though it's apparently also very sad and those two descriptors are a bit contradictory
  • it has like Aria tier warm fuzzies going on

and the scenery is gorgeous

and it's... about child soldiers in some sort of alternate history or maybe post-apocalypse europe?

also it gives me strong haibane renmei vibes
  • very, very post-apocalypse, if memory serves
  • yeah, wikipedia says post-apocalypse

im gonna take a wild guess and say that war breaks out again and one of the main characters dies, but the group pulls through in the end

because that feels like how things will happen
  • im going to bookmark that post so when i watch this show and it turns out to be more brutal than that i will have a hearty laugh at my foolish past self