Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So Miura finally got them to the island.

He's surpassed Martin in pacing at this point.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Fate is like an expanded Deadliest Warrior to me, I've just realized, except dramatically better even by the standards of dramatically betterness.

Which is good. Because I like my drama. And I quite like my violence (primarily when it's not just for flash though).
    You ever seen Shigurui?

Apparently it's really interesting but very violent in a distinctly unglamorous way.
  • edited 2015-12-03 05:53:14
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

The story begins in 1629 Shizuoka during Tokugawa Tadanaga's rule. The daimyo staged a tournament where the participants fought with real steel Japanese swords rather than bokken ("wooden sword"), against his vassals' strong objection. The story revolves around the first match between the one-armed swordsman Fujiki Gennosuke and the blind samurai Irako Seigen and deals with the circumstances that led the two to participate in Tokugawa's tournament.

I feel like maybe I've read about this before, or... no. I'm thinking of Violence Jack, which has impressively gone unfinished. Perhaps this summer.

I am unfamiliar with this and am glad to find it easily available online, though I'm thinking I'll read it through first. Danke ferret. Sub, dub, or shrug, say you?
    Apparently the manga of Violence Jack is really good but the anime adaptation is just astonishingly awful and repulsive.

Both the manga and the anime of Shigurui are apparently solid, however, although the anime holds more interest for me because Hiroshi Hamasaki is a fascinating director—he also did Texhnolyze, which I have mentioned many times before and is similarly unrelenting, albeit in a very different setting.
    Well that simplifies matters, in both cases.
    I think Shigurui has a pretty solid English dub—Funimation are generally pretty consistent, particularly with artier fare, although their casting choices have earned them a fair share of detractors—but given the story and cultural context, Japanese might be preferable. Then again, not having to follow subtitles might allow you to soak in the icy existential dread and horrific gore better.
  • Shigurui is one of those manga/anime that sounds like something that would totally appeal to me, but I never have the courage to take the first step and actually read/watch it because the memetic levels of goriness are off-putting to me. It's the reason I keep putting off the 7th Kara no Kyoukai film.
    It's apparently not so much outrageously gory as it simply pulls no punches with its violence and, being a kind of de-glamorised response to the typical romantic samurai story, said violence is often either quick and brutal or uncomfortably personal. It's just a really unforgiving series.

Or so I am led to believe by trustworthy sources. Given the way violence is handled in Texhnolyze, this would not surprise me in the slightest.
  • It's apparently not so much outrageously gory as it simply pulls no punches with its violence and, being a kind of de-glamorised response to the typical romantic samurai story, said violence is often either quick and brutal or uncomfortably personal. It's just a really unforgiving series.

Or so I am led to believe by trustworthy sources. Given the way violence is handled in Texhnolyze, this would not surprise me in the slightest.

From what I've heard from people, it's both. Like not necessarily Franken Fran levels, but still gorey enough in some respects. Granted, those people could have been overstating it, but that's the impression I got. The De-glamorization aspects really do appeal to me, so I'll probably end up watching it at some point. 
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Shigurui is one of those manga/anime that sounds like something that would totally appeal to me, but I never have the courage to take the first step and actually read/watch it because the memetic levels of goriness are off-putting to me. It's the reason I keep putting off the 7th Kara no Kyoukai film.

Honestly, I'd say that Paradox Spiral had more gore than the 7th movie. It's certainly a creepy film, but it's more psychological than gore based.
  • edited 2015-12-03 06:49:33
    Speaking of the term "psychological"...

What exactly is a "psychological" series anyway?  I hear that descriptor pretty often, used by itself (rather than the way TNS used it above), but I'm not actually sure what it means, unless it simply means "our story works in ways that will confuse the hell out of the audience and make them feel weird".
  • edited 2015-12-03 06:56:44
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • edited 2015-12-03 06:52:10
    oh, it's short for that?  because that I get.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It can also be used for stuff like say Utena, but that gets a little harder to define.
  • kill living beings
    why are there no anime of satoshi mizukami's comix :(
    ^^ In that case, it refers to a story where the emphasis is on interior struggle externalised, with logic that is less real-world and more inner-world. Which, naturally, has a strong overlap with psychological horror and even surrealist fiction, where mundane logic is entirely supplanted with the logic of the preconscious mind.
  • edited 2015-12-03 07:56:36

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/11/30/gegege-no-kitaro-manga-author-shigeru-mizuki-passes-away

Shigeru Mizuki passed away on the 30th of November. Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    this person is
    • anti-war
    • crass
    • a fan of madoka
  • edited 2015-12-03 10:28:40
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Hozuki no Reitetsu is pretty good and has the most sing-a-longable opening.

Jigoku jigoku jigoku jigoku ji-go-ku

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/11/30/gegege-no-kitaro-manga-author-shigeru-mizuki-passes-away

Shigeru Mizuki passed away on the 30th of November. Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

I heard about this on NPR. Guy really was an icon over there.
    Calica said:

this person is

• anti-war
    • crass
    • a fan of madoka
    They may be crass, but I get the feeling that their love of Crass is more significant. (If you're not familiar: Anarchist punk band, pacifists, good logo design, attract fans with a fondness for jacket patches.)
    MachSpeed said:

Hozuki no Reitetsu is pretty good and has the most sing-a-longable opening.

Jigoku jigoku jigoku jigoku ji-go-ku
    It really is a good show, and the opening is enjoyably absurd, although I think I like the closers better.
    i wasn't familiar but i figured it was something like that tbh and was just making a joke
    I know. But it's useful information if you ever find yourself in conversation with a bunch of anarchists and/or crust punks.
  • kill living beings
    it's weird to see this show actually resolving things.

also, i don't remember the last monster-of-the-week format thing i saw where the reason for the magic attacks in whatever fixed location was not explained and then explained later. evangelion? who knows.
  • edited 2015-12-07 01:52:23
    MAL said:

The story centers around Hida Kizuna, who visits the strategic defense academy Ataraxia at his big sister's request. "There, he encounters Chidorigafuchi Aine, a girl piloting the magical armor Zerosu. Aine suddenly pulls off her clothes before Kizuna's eyes. 'Don't look, you pervert—' 'No, you're the one!?' However, a communique about a serious mission arrives from Kizuna's sister. The mission — to rub Aina's chest!? Actually, Kizuna has the power to level up a girl through indecent acts. With a battle against another world, the future depends on this power."

Am I going to watch this? It sounds trashy. I think I'm going to watch it? I'm probably going to watch it (even if keeping current is another matter).

Really this sounds like such hot trash. I'm not sure how I can't not check it out.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I've been sampling the Brave series and so far I like J-Decker and obviously GA GA GA GA GA GA GAOGAIGAR
  • Thinking of watching Madoka relatively soon, even though I've been spoiled on pretty much a lot of things though. Not sure what to think until I watch it.
  • Jane said:
    It's Rin Kurosawa from Aikatsu.

(h/t to fourteenwings at IJBM)
  • I wrote this up elsewhere so I might as well refine it a bit and repost it.

Types of anime fans:

1. Enjoyers - fans of some anime series, but not necessarily of the medium as a whole.  Favorably disposed toward anime as a whole, but unlikely to seek out things like conventions.
    1.1 Casuals - may be slightly familiar with anime and not mind it but it's not something they'd notably seek out.

2. Fanatics - dedicated fans of a certain series (often but not necessarily a long runner), but not much interested in anything else.  Don't tell them they have bad taste, because they're not here to have good taste, only to indulge in their pet series.
    1x2. Loners - dedicated fans of a certain series who feel no connection otherwise to (and might not even like) the overall anime fandom, but they make exception for their pet series.

3a. Scholars - seek to gain a widespread familiarity with the medium, and feel a need to analyze works, follow industry news/trends, etc..  Being able to identify seminal works or discover the "best" series in a genre excite them.
    3b. Critics - "guardians of good taste" who enjoy rating things and spreading what they feel is their judgement on the quality of works and their components (e.g. quality of animation, voice acting, etc.).
    3c. Proselytizers - want to see more people interested in anime, and make it more accepted in the mainstream.

4a. Wacks (or Weirdos) - like anime because it's weird, it's unusual, it's different from whatever fare they usually get on mainstream TV/movies.  The tropes and the subject matter are different.  Seek out anime with novelty value.  Things that are too "samey" or "overdone"/"cliché" are boring to them; they want variety.
    4b. Japanophiles/Weebs - like anime because it's foreign, and specifically, Japanese.  Very interested in Japanese culture, language, media, food, technology, history, possibly even sociology and politics.  May use gratuitous Japanese.  Likely to learn to use chopsticks just to eat ramen properly.

5. Otakus - dedicated fans of anime/manga as a whole.  Figurines and other themed merchandise richly adorn their shelves.  Have as much coverage as scholars, critics, or wacks, but their main trait is that they indulge in it, and may even proudly display it in public.
    2x5. Collectors - dedicated completionists who feel an obligation/duty to indulge "properly" in a media production.  Likely part of the inelastic demand enjoyed by some very niche products.  Actually somewhat less likely to torrent things, out of a sense of responsibility.  May berate other fans for not being good enough fans.
    5'. Creeps - the otakus who don't know shame, basically.  Unabashedly enjoys and indulges in fanservice.  May talk too much about how sexy/cute they find a character.  Likely owner of body pillows, boob mousepads, etc..  Does not mind sketchy ads or browsing non-safe boorus.
    tl;also probably rude towards a lot of people;dr
  • my level of secondhand embarrasment is

moderate
  • edited 2015-12-09 04:47:44
    That... is a curious categorization.

Also you can blacklist tags on e.g. Danbooru with an account so that's an odd qualification.
  • edited 2015-12-09 04:54:06

Does not mind sketchy ads or browsing non-safe boorus.

this is the best bit because it describes

almost every single person on the internet?
  • Crystal said:

That... is a curious categorization.

Also you can blacklist tags on e.g. Danbooru with an account so that's an odd qualification.
    Someone wrote up a thread on hummingbird dividing anime fans with the following categories:
    1a. Anime Casual
    1b. Anime Fanatic
    2a. Otaku
    2b. Anime Superior
    2c. Experienced Anime Casual
    3a. Anime Veterans
    3b. Anime Elitists
    3c. Weeaboo

http://forums.hummingbird.me/t/sociophyscological-analysis-of-the-anime-community/28461/

It didn't strike me as a particularly good classification system so I went and wrote up my own idea.
    there are two kinds of people: those who classify people, and those who don't, hur hur
    Such an inconvenient time for a series of categorical lists that make me think things and want to say words about stuff, really.

Hm. I should check my HB account...
  • Calica said:

there are two kinds of people: those who classify people, and those who don't, hur hur

there are ten kinds of people: those who like this joke about binary, those who have gotten sick of it, and eight other kinds who just find it amusing but are doing their own things
    there are +0 kinds of people: those who use balanced ternary, those who are baffled, and glenn
  • Calica said:

there are +0 kinds of people: those who use balanced ternary, those who are baffled, and glenn

i'm pretty sure i'm not the only person who thinks of iji when i hear about ternary
  • edited 2015-12-09 05:14:16
    also i like a balanced quinary rating scale
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Types of anime fan:

1) Anime fan
    iji used regular ternary, not balanced ternary, but yeah
    I was not very good at Iji when I played it years ago, for some reason, and thus quit early. Earlier than I should have.

Anyway maybe I should actually use HB now, since I've got something of a reason to.
  • seriously though

love it
    like it
    meh
    dislike it
    hate it

there's a balanced quinary rating scheme

much better than a ten-point scale or a five-point scale
    Adding just the anime I've watched is going to be rather slow... but thankfully I don't have to rush it, so I won't.