Sometimes I feel like not liking American football makes me bad.

See title.

This feeling kind of niggles at me.

Comments

• Why? They're a great band. Very influential too.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The sport, silly
  • edited 2015-11-04 10:52:53
    ಠ_ಠ
    Dude, for the love of God, not liking something that you think you should like does not make you a bad person. I mean, look at me. I'm a young, hip, fresh faced 21 year old University student. I should like going out and drinking a lot and partying all the time, because that's what other people like. Do I like it? Fuck no. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than getting into my pyjamas and playing video games. Do I hate myself for not going out partying? Also fuck no.

Dude, stop being so hard on yourself and feeling like you need to like something or you're a bad person. It doesn't work like that.
    Probably not. I guess it just feels like people who enjoy football experience it on a level I will never understand, and derive a certain euphoria from it.
    I get the same feeling about superhero comics somehow.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What Tools said. You're finding reasons to beat up on yourself again.
  • edited 2015-11-04 11:22:27
    ಠ_ಠ
    Don't focus on what you might be missing out on. I might be missing out on the best night of my life by grinding up against sweaty strangers in a night club, and some people get some levels of euphoria from it. But for me, I gain levels of of euphoria from seeing a large pizza that causes me to sick for a while after eating it.

We're all different. Embrace your individualness instead of trying to fight it and be someone you're not. I learnt that lesson before, and I've been happier ever since.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You should never feel bad for not partaking in the monoculture.

Death to monoculture.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The majority of those people getting something out of American football will never understand the joy you get from studying Hanna-Barbara cartoons or typefaces.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    reddit ruined the word "euphoria" for me
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    How dare you not like American football? You must be a really shitty person and you don't deserve to have any friends.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Tachyon said:

reddit ruined the word "euphoria" for me

lol
    Anonus said:

See title.

This feeling kind of niggles at me.
    it's like 90% commercials by play time and every superbowl opens with a display of militarized nationalism. not liking it is probably even a good thing
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sweetie, you really need to understand that things like what sports you do and don't like doesn't say anything about your character
    Like, by the logic that not liking American football makes you bad, the vast majority of the world is bad
  • edited 2015-11-04 16:18:07

god anonus you walking garbage pail in an incedentally humanesque form! how dare you dislike football, the most noble of human endeavors

the most supremely valiant game with the oblong ball where the people with shoulder pads jump on one another
    setting aside that it doesn't make you bad, which of course it doesn't, i can understand the worry that you're missing out by not enjoying something the way some people do

but in this instance, i'd say you've given football more than a fair chance, and it hasn't impressed you, so evidently, so far as you're concerned, football just isn't that great
    and like, that's ok

it's like Meta Four said, there's enjoyment you get that most football fans don't
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My little brother plays basketball, so clearly that is the best sport.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-11-04 19:39:19
    The football coach at my high school had nearly as much legislative power in the town as the mayor, and actively tried to get other programs cut to siphon into his mediocre-ass team.  Football programs consume a disproportionate amount of education funds nationwide, and the most exorbitantly-paid public employees are almost all college football coaches.  It firmly bastions some of the most fantastically toxic elements of American culture at both the social and business levels.

So no, not liking American football does not make you a bad person.  It's pretty fucking detestable if we're honest with ourselves.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Football poisons everything, and has ruined Pittsburgh more than air pollution ever did.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tools and Bee and Tachyon and Centie and even Kraken have all said what I have wanted to say, but I do want to add: Why are you so scared of not liking what other people like? Why do you think their enjoyment must somehow be deeper and more meaningful than your own?

One need not enjoy a thing to empathise with the enjoyment or intellectually understand the appeal. Having an open mind and heart does not mean forcing yourself to like things; it simply means being able to care that other people care and respect it.
  • Anonus said:

Probably not. I guess it just feels like people who enjoy football experience it on a level I will never understand, and derive a certain euphoria from it.

Eh, I might qualify as one of those people and a lot of my experience with football has been getting excited about a team only to be disappointed later. I find it more fun to not take the games as seriously. I think that is probably better for your health too.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Earlier this week I think Anonus blamed the lack of "showbizzy in-jokes" on the "death of the monoculture" and I think both of the things are a bad thing for some fucking reason, so Anonus wants to like the monoculture, but can't.
    the "monoculture" never really existed in that sense though

there may have been a broadening and diversification of the media but there was never a time when everyone understood all the same references or followed the same sports
    I have mixed feelings on the monoculture.

I mean I know this generation of cartoon creators love making reference to nerd shit instead of like contemporary Hollywood movies or TV shows, but really, stuff like anime and video games ARE our generation's pop culture. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish today's cartoon creators, like, despised the Minions and what they stand for like I did and weaved said loathing into their shows.
    And what I am referring to is that the Minions, and the destruction of the Despicable Me franchise, perfectly embody mainstream animated cinema's artistic crisis.
    That's not the only thing I refer to, but it's a big thing.
    There's better things to do than to make something because you hate it.

Like, I've read and watched a bunch of things where the creators are like; "I hate this thing so much," and it's just...really tiring. It's the same textures, the same beats, the same sentiments, every time. They barely try to engage with the thing to see why it works or why it doesn't.

Hate isn't a good thing to make stuff on. It's boring.
    Well I meant like making an episode of a satire-minded show that mocks the shit out of the Minion phenomenon.
    And it's really boring. They're all really boring.
    Regardless of execution?
    Anonus said:

Well I meant like making an episode of a satire-minded show that mocks the shit out of the Minion phenomenon.

To be honest, comedy that reflects on real-world phenomena in a universal way is much funnier to me than parodies of specific things that exist in the now.
  • Yes. they are boring, spiteful, and they date poorly
    Maybe you should actually read my writing before you implicitly shit all over it.

And time capsules can be fun, can't they?
  • edited 2015-11-05 02:34:32
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The subject matter prevents it from having it executed well.

I didn't know you were writing something. But at any rate, I stand by my statements.
    They aren't necessarily spiteful by definition, but they do show their age very, very quickly, and cease to be funny without the point of reference more often than not. Humour that uses parody of contemporary trends as a jumping off point is fine if it goes beyond that, but just making fun of a thing that is popular at a given point in time does not make for very good comedy in and of itself.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I used to be indifferent towards/dislike football. 

I've gotten more into it in the past couple years due to marching band, however. It's a lot more exciting when you know what's going on. It's a pretty cool feeling to be excited with an entire stadium full of people. It's that whole "shared experience" thing that draws people together. 

There's nothing wrong with not liking it, though. It's not everyone's thing and can be a little difficult to really get into. 
    I also don't know what a time capsule is in this context.
  • edited 2015-11-05 02:44:25
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    time capsules can be fun

a thing making fun of minions doesn't sound very exciting to me and will certainly not be accessible to later audiences, but i wouldn't be quite so absolute about this as the stance most people in this thread seem to be taking

e: deleted response to no-longer-extant post
    Anonus said:

Maybe you should actually read my writing before you implicitly shit all over it.

And time capsules can be fun, can't they?
    We're not attacking your writing, dude. We're expressing an opinion about stuff we've experienced and advising you against making that mistake precisely because it winds up not being very entertaining.
    MachSpeed said:

I also don't know what a time capsule is in this context.

something very much of its era, perhaps enjoyed for nostalgia's sake later
    well I'd still like to make fun of the Minions, or Jurassic World

the story I was writing skewering the former is a lot less on-the-nose than the latter

Anonus said:

To be honest, comedy that reflects on real-world phenomena in a universal way is much funnier to me than parodies of specific things that exist in the now.
    i think this is a hard thing to pull off?

like, few things are universal, and if you poke fun at an aspect of our culture that's been around for a while it can feel like you're just beating a dead horse
    Okay, so, what are you making a time capsule of, and what does the Minions have to do with it?
    it's not a time capsule, I just want to make an episode of one of my made-up TV shows in which I make fun of the Minions and how they fucked up Despicable Me. And like I said earlier, they embody mainstream feature animation's artistic crisis, and absolutely deserve more mockery.
    And I do not use references as the only source of humor at all. That would be boring.
    i suppose i'd say minions seem to me like a manifestation of whatever phenomenon the rabbids were, albeit a more mainstream instance of it
    Tachyon said:

Anonus said:

i think this is a hard thing to pull off?

like, few things are universal, and if you poke fun at an aspect of our culture that's been around for a while it can feel like you're just beating a dead horse
    Comedy in general is hard to do well.
    Fine, okay. Self-indulgence.