Memory

From one of Drew Magary's new articles: "Nah. There’s a reason that kids don’t remember shit until age 4 or 5."

People act like remembering things at the age of 3 is unheard of...but then again, I do get weirded out that most people have weaker memories than I do

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    First thought upon seeing the thread:

On topic: I remember things from age 3, but only very vaguely. Time definitely hasn't been kind to memories that old, at least for me.

(I'm 24, for the record)
  • i have a few clear memories from when i was 1 but i could also read when i was 1 so i wasnt exactly the most normal kid
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i can remember being at my old house, which we moved out of before i was 4.

i can't remember very much from back then, though.  No specific incidents, just being in a place.
  • First thought upon seeing the thread:

same
  • cats is the only musical ive ever liked
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

cats is the only musical ive ever liked

Is it because or in spite of the plotlessness?
  • plotlessness + T.S. Elliot + cat people is a very safe formula for getting my attention
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    plotlessness is usually a good thing

otherwise, I have at least two memories from age 3. YNTKT
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My earliest memory:

A pool in California. There is a turtle named King Tut.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I have a couple memories of being 3. I have another that might have come even earlier, but I'm not sure about the timeframe.

Anyway, it involved eating soap thinking it was candy, so as far as earliest memories go that was spectacular at predicting the general pattern of the life to follow