Comments

• create authentic messages
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    authentic messages that connect authentically to #Millennials
  • edited 2015-02-03 17:33:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is it bad that hearing generational demographics talked about like they're some kind of predictable other to be marketed towards really creeps me out?

i know, "is it bad that", but i'm seriously asking this.

Anyway, that article seems like a needlessly overcomplicated way of saying that people are more inclined to believe that you mean what you say if your actions back it up.  Which isn't surprising.
  • we're all making jokes about it because it's uncomfortable and gross so no
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    OK good
  • Is "authority" common lingo for brands?
  • parkmanrespectmyauthoratah.png
  • Marketing people live in a strange alternate universe where common folk like ourselves live only to be advertised and sold to and love this experience down to our very core.

Contrast our own world, where people have things like thoughts and feelings.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    "StoryLiving" is so crunchtastic it hurts. It just reeks of an ad for some kind of vacation or resort company.
  • naney said:

parkmanrespectmyauthoratah.png

It just makes me think of like. Corporations having their own feudal domains, where their word is law.

More proof that we are ever hurtling towards the Snow Crash version of the future.
  • Marketing people live in a strange alternate universe where common folk like ourselves live only to be advertised and sold to and love this experience down to our very core.

they do this because they want to convince themselves that they're bringing some sort of intrinsic good into the world, makes the job more bearable
  • Jeff Fromm is president of FutureCast, a millennial trends consulting
    firm. He also is lead editor of www.millennialmarketing.com and
    co-author of the book "Marketing to Millennials: Reach The Largest &
    Most Influential Generation of Consumers Ever." #viewsaremine

#viewersaremine

THEIR PUNY MINDS ARE UNDER MY CONTROL

This made me go back and re-read part of the Cluetrain Manifesto. It seems almost quaint in the era of Twitter.
  • edited 2015-02-03 18:29:17
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Indeed, reading these happy-go-lucky, rather Libertarian-flavored thinkpieces from the height of the Web 1.0 era is kind of hilarious in hindsight. This seems like it'd be a good companion piece to ESR's ruminations on "the bazaar".
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    FUCK ESR
    Exactly. This was the 1990s equivalent of LW types babbling about robots.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Panurge said:

FUCK ESR

Agreed.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    ​"Where's the funny? Why millennials' love of 'StoryLiving' replaced comedy in Super Bowl ads" The phrasing of the title seems like this is another nefarious scheme of the millennials
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    you see we ruined the deep and sophisticated humor of thahahahaahahahahahahahahaa
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    At least they've got a reason for the lack of it now!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Can someone explain to me what "storyliving" is?
  • MachSpeed said:

marketer buzzspeak that people who actually live in the world should not concern themselves with.
  • MachSpeed said:

storyliving? Mere nonsense. It's StoryLiving.

Hope that clarifies things.
  • edited 2015-02-10 00:53:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "Storyliving" is a term Fromm recently came up with, not an established piece of jargon.

It evidently means that rather than simply presenting consumers with a scripted narrative (storytelling), you're actually being seen to *do* stuff - making donations, campaigning on behalf of a cause, stuff like that.  In doing so, you are living the story, rather than simply telling it, and consumers will notice and respect this, and hopefully want to participate.

Which is to say, actions speak louder than words.  Fromm apparently thinks this is some novel idea that Millennials have a particular obsession with.
  • It is likely accurate to say that previous ways of advertising lose their effectiveness over time as we develop a cynicism toward them.  But things like this make me want to beat up marketers.
  • my fave advertising is advertising where they tell you that they have a product and it's a good product

like one time i hard an ad for some frozen pizza brand on the radio and it sounded like something different and i got it instead of my usual brand when i went to the store for frozen pizza and it was pretty alright
  • But naney, that isn't a very socially-conscious pizza brand

What initiatives have they started to better our world? Huh?

/Bizarro Cadpig
  • well they made tasty pizza, which improves our world because it tastes better than less-tasty pizza
    Tachyon said:

"Storyliving" is a term Fromm recently came up with, not an established piece of jargon.

It evidently means that rather than simply presenting consumers with a scripted narrative (storytelling), you're actually being seen to *do* stuff - making donations, campaigning on behalf of a cause, stuff like that.  In doing so, you are living the story, rather than simply telling it, and consumers will notice and respect this, and hopefully want to participate.

Which is to say, actions speak louder than words.  Fromm apparently thinks this is some novel idea that Millennials have a particular obsession with.

Yeah, like I said earlier, it had the definite stink of a forced meme or a trade name to it. I would not be surprised if there's some business book All About It (tm) not too long from now.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Otherwise there's no reason for the word to exist.
    It works pretty much the same way as dog-whistle terms in politics, but instead of coding for things that are racist/sexist/horrible, they're coding for the banal. :P
  • that sounds like using jet fuel to cook one's eggs