Post a lame piece of pop culture ephemera you have inordinate fondness for

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Come on, I thought this would attract everyone here.
  • I don't want to make the thread unviewable.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Panurge said:

Come on, I thought this would attract everyone here.

well

I don't know if I have any lame pieces of pop culture ephemera I am inordinately fond of
  • edited 2014-12-28 00:51:32
    My dreams exceed my real life
    I thought "this is lame, but I like it anyway" was the soul of the heap

I was young, but I always woke up to watch it, and Mario was bigger than Mickey Mouse at that point. 
    Panurge said:

It is

But what is "ephemera" in your view

I was young, but I always woke up to watch it, and Mario was bigger than Mickey Mouse at that point. 
    DEEK
    Anonus said:

Panurge said:

It is

But what is "ephemera" in your view

DEEK
    Something that has left no real impact on the world
    If I liked it more I would have posted 101 Dalmatians: The Series, and if it were lamer I would have posted Pepper Ann

Why are my favorite obscure things NOT LAME AND EPHEMERAL ENOUGH
    People actually remember Captain Planet
    Also I recently learned that Gi shares her voice actor with Jenny/XJ-9
  • kill living beings
    touhou
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    It's pop culture somewhere
    I notice people always talk about Space Jam but I never hear about Looney Tunes: Back in Action as often
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Nobody actually likes Looney Tunes: Back In Action.
    people on /co/ seem to

I've never seen it all the way through, but I get the feeling that Joe Dante at least TRIED to make something good, even if WB didn't want him to

Also apparently they pour one out for Hanna-Barbera at the beginning

it's always good to pour one out for Hanna-Barbera
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Yes.
    i haven't seen Back in Action but this scene strikes me as somewhat amusing, at least

also, KateModern, and the early lonelygirl15 videos (mostly pre-"On the Run", but everything prior to the bunker arc i remember fondly, plus the sillier Spencer moments)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    oh, the story uploaded in the wrong order - give me a second to fix it
    okay, done
    hey, that was great
    Tachyon said:

i haven't seen Back in Action but this scene strikes me as somewhat amusing, at least

man the animation is too smooth

if you see the old Looney Tunes shorts the animation is full but not so...perfect

maybe it's just how they looked on film or something
    Also, this is mega-spergy, but DON'T USE HANNA-BARBERA SOUND EFFECTS WITH LOONEY TUNES

They have a certain visceral immediacy that complements the visceral immediacy of H-B's more limited animation

THEY DO NOT WORK SO WELL WITH FULL ANIMATION
    That seemed cute and funny.
    ^^^^ Glad you liked! Carl Barks is one of the all-time greats, at least to me.

^^^ It might be the outsourced inbetweens that's giving you that impression. I still think it's a clever concept for a scene, though.

^ What seemed cute and funny to you?

^^^^ Glad you liked! Carl Barks is one of the all-time greats, at least to me.

^^^ It might be the outsourced inbetweens that's giving you that impression. I still think it's a clever concept for a scene, though.

^ What seemed cute and funny to you?
    I liked the surrealism scene.

Also bugs crossdressing again
    WB didn't do all of their feature animation in America?

It is a clever concept for a scene, but the inbetweens did look too "perfect" to me.
    ...how is imperfect animation desirable?  Just because that's how it used to be?  When you're capable of doing it well, i don't see much sense in making it purposefully worse.

And i don't understand the sound effects complaint.  Were those stock sounds from some kind of H-B library or something?  Because if so i don't see why that'd be a problem, either...
    I guess it's like the use of a higher framerate in The Hobbit It might be technically better, but it's not what you're used to seeing so it's disorienting.
    ^^^ I looked on IMDB to make sure, and it seems like all the rough animation, inbetweens included, was done in America, but cleanups for the inbetweens were done by "Yowza Animation", whoever they were.

^^ I'd ordinarily agree with you, but something did look slightly off about that scene to me. It might be what Panurge said, because I can't quite vocalize what that was otherwise.
  • Tachyon said:

...how is imperfect animation desirable?  Just because that's how it used to be?  When you're capable of doing it well, i don't see much sense in making it purposefully worse.

And i don't understand the sound effects complaint.  Were those stock sounds from some kind of H-B library or something?  Because if so i don't see why that'd be a problem, either...

desirable is debatable, but it's part of a wider question as to what amount of frames per second "looks" right, at least if I'm interpreting Anonus correctly.

It's the same reason a lot of people don't like flash animation (or animation done by that Japanese program I forget the name of), it's too smooth and looks unnatural.
  • edited 2014-12-28 03:04:46
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i suppose... i didn't feel that way about it, though.

Nor about The Hobbit, actually.

Maybe i don't watch enough movies.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

best opening of any show ever
    Tachyon said:

Anonus said:

They have a certain visceral immediacy that complements the visceral immediacy of H-B's more limited animation

It is kind of bizarre seeing aural and visual cues from Hanna-Barbera bleed into WB product in the years since WB took ownership of H-B, honestly
  • The New Adventures of Voltron (the extra episodes that Toei Animation made expressly for western broadcast)

Voltron: the Third Dimension (this was weird at first but then it grew on me)

the Voltron logo continues to look a little like "Voctron", for what it's worth.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've heard H-B cues in anime, oddly enough. It's really strange.
  • This Looney Tunes: Back in Action movie seems interesting.
  • Nobody actually likes Looney Tunes: Back In Action.

I just watched the deleted scenes, and I have decided that this is a movie I want to watch.

Aside from the sexist jokes, I think I'll enjoy it.
  • re: Looney Tunes: Back in Action:

I can distinctly remember the PUT DOUBLE ESPRESSO IN THEIR SIPPY CUPS line from the ACME dude. Always have.

Oh, and Brendan Fraser hates himself in it too, I guess? Also there was one scene where Bugs & Co. thought they were seeing a mirage of a Walmart in the middle of a desert but it actually was one. And also Bugs had a shower scene.

I originally saw it as a kid and didn't love it or anything but still liked some of the gags. I can recall liking it more than I thought I would when it aired on Cartoon Network in 2011 or so, but it's not the kind of movie I'd go out of my way to watch again.

Though given all that stuff I thought I wouldn't remember about it but actually do, I just might renege on that.
    The Wal-Mart in the desert was the only thing I remembered from the movie

I remember someone saying it was a crass sell-out, but I took it as a snicker at corporate ubiquity (while WB pocketed some cash in the process)
    yeah I saw part of it on HBO in like 2004
  • ITT: Heapers show their ages
    Anonus said:

Tachyon said:

Anonus said:

You already said that. :/

And i didn't understand the complaint.  i still don't, because i didn't understand you, not because i didn't read what you wrote.