I need to know what a chick flick is

edited 2014-08-19 05:29:46 in General
Because I heard that chick flicks have music where every note sounds like an explanation point

And I know what kind of music that is because it seems to show up in commercials for clothes or yogurt or whatever, or did at one point

But please, name me a chick flick with this kind of music because it's playing in my head and I'm going insane

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Practically anything scored by Marc Shaiman or Randy Edelman, I'm thinking. Dave Grusin sounds like a possible suspect, too.
  • it's when a young chicken shows you an obscene gesture
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    [Insert your own gay slang joke here.]
  • also
    what does an exclamation point sound like

other than a click, according to Russell Peters
    I'm guessing cutesy/dainty pizzicato strings.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Trumpet hits
  • edited 2014-08-19 17:27:48
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think that the typical sound of the "chick flick" consists of busy pizzicato strings, piano and high woodwinds with bright major key melodies, sometimes slightly modal or touched with minor chords to indicate stress or activity rather than actual darkness or else to segue into a slightly more downbeat moment.
  • lee4hmz said:

I'm guessing cutesy/dainty pizzicato strings.

you mean like this?

That's at about half the tempo or less of what usually comes to mind with "chick flicks," and much more sparse, but I can imagine something like that playing at a tense-qua-tense "I have to pretend to smile while talking to Love Interest's Mother" moment.
  • For some reason what you're saying seems to make me think of basic slice-of-life children's anime background music.
    Not quite that...when I saw AU's post, I thought of the music in the lovey-dovey scenes in, of all things, Ghostbusters II (any scene with Peter, Dana and the baby together, pretty much).
  • also
    what does an exclamation point sound like

other than a click, according to orthographies for African languages

ftfy
    Specifically, the kind of click that people make in English to imitate the clop of a horse's hooves on the ground.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I Read This As: "I need to know what a Chick-Fil-A is"