Let's Talk Transportation!

edited 2014-05-31 03:03:50 in Talk
What is your main method of getting around? Which is your favorite? Do you have any preconceived notions about people who rely on a particular method of transportation (i.e. “drivers of [car you hate] are over-compensating douchebags” or “people who travel by bus don’t fucking shower”)?
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I drive a car because it's really the only practical way around here.

I would rather just stay home
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    what's home got that LIFE doesn't???
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I got a new car this month and I like it very much.

what's home got that LIFE doesn't???

the ability to just sit around and do stuff and not be bothered by people
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    exactly, nothing, get out of your house
    :(
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I have a 2007 Ford Taurus that usually gets me from point a to point b.

I might take the train around town more often if the nearest station wasn't a mile and a half away from my house. 
  • edited 2014-05-31 08:45:47
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't drive and I've never had much reason to.  Once I get home I should probably learn in order to look for work, I guess... only I don't want a car, I'd never be able to afford anything else, ever.

I barely recognize different models of car (barring one or two really iconic models); there seem to be no end to the different kinds on the roads, and I haven't noticed an easy way to tell them apart besides reading the wordmark on the back.  People on public transport seem pretty normal to me, although if you do get stuck next to someone who smells it's pretty much the worst.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I drive a 1994 Toyota Corolla. Not the most luxurious car, but hey, it's reliable, and I only really need it to go back and forth to work and school anyhow.

I would prefer to be able to walk places, but in this kind of remote suburb that's not really an option. It's definitely something I'll consider when I finally fucking move though. :P
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

“people who travel by bus don’t fucking shower”

I have never heard of this stereotype before today. I'm sure it exists; I just haven't heard of it :P

I don't have a car because I never learned how to drive. Depending on the distance and the amount of money I have on hand, I'll either walk or take the MARTA train, since all the places I need to go are usually close to the stations.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I mostly walk places.  Occasionally when I want to go far, I'll use the subway/bus.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The nearest bus station is about a mile from here (less as the crow flies, but twisty suburban roads and such). It's worth it because the drive from here to the Pentagon is another 20-25 miles in heavy traffic otherwise.
    note to self: Lee works in the Pentagon
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, I work near it; the Pentagon also happens to be a huge local transit hub (as well as the last place to get off of the HOV lanes before DC).
    suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure Mr. Government Secrets Man
  • edited 2014-06-01 02:38:39
    My parents have a fully modified '01 Ford Winstar that I know how to drive, but have yet to succeed in actually getting my license because of a nasty mix of anxiety and seizures. Gonna try again in a couple years, probably. I get a ride to the same side of town as my school with my dad (who works on that side of town) and then bus and roll. To get to LA, I get a ride over to the train station and train/subway/bus/roll. When Lilly comes here, we usually use the van.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I hope one day to go to school where the CDC is, so I guess I'm in on government secrets too :P

Also, I'm reminded that one day a school friend of mine brought up the subject of what our dream cars would be. I flat out said I had no idea because I never learned how to drive. My friend responded that it seemed like I would drive for enjoyment, so I would like having a Caterham.

It looks like a bizarre hybrid of the Mach V and Herbie the Love Bug. This concept is so amusing to me that I approve of his decision :P