The Dietary Patterns Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

edited 2014-05-04 20:46:08 in General
because fuck you I'm making all the heaps

What are your eating habits like? I normally eat pretty healthy but lately I've been eating like a pregnant junk-addicted whale and it's sooooo confusing

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    a pregnant junk-addicted whale?
  • edited 2014-05-04 20:52:21
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    A whale that is pregnant and is addicted to junk GAWD get your shit together Anonou you cockwhore
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm going to eat some chocolate cake now
    I am not a cockwhore!

Anyway I eat too much junk myself
  • i have a small breakfast, a small or no lunch and a large supper generally

and if i don't keep a close eye on myself i can end up snacking too much, though not as much as I used to...
  • I have a problem with comfort eating.

Well, not a problem with the eating.  With the being fat.
  • im ok with being fat

just not with being fat with like no muscle mass
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    not fat but out of shape and itJbugsM
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I have a problem with snacks.

Because these days snacks is going down to the food court and getting a big bowl of mung bean noodles.

Not a lot of energy in that (if any), but it's a lot of mass to put down your stomach.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i am not very careful with my food

i regularly skip meals and i barely ate anything at all yesterday

(my normal routine is to eat 3 meals a day)
  • Any attempt at healthy eating on my part is foiled by the fact that I must regularly attend seminars at the daily Mystery Meat Conference, also known as "public school."
    You don't take your own lunch?
  • Note: Food at home really not all that much better. My options are generally sandwiches, ramen, or cereal.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    my regular diet consists largely of that kind of thing
  • Honestly school food might be better for me >_>
  • A lot of unhealthy stuff.

The school dining halls usually have something that's healthy and vegan, but not necessarily the same dining hall and not necessarily within easy walking distance. The staples, the vegan pizza and the french fries, are the only things that I can rely on, so I eat a lot of that, with some lettuce and spinach crammed in there to fool my body into thinking that I'm a functioning human being.
  • Spent today and going to spend tomorrow (my birthday) eating everything I enjoy and haven't been able to have often (or at all) due to trying to lose weight. Because, hey, tomorrow is my birthday, and noone expects one to decline a cake on birthday, so who cares about "healthy" stuff?

After that, starting another crash diet, I guess (shudders).

For months before this, been eating mostly "healthy", that is, mostly bland and tasteless stuff. Broke that habit during my vacation, and suddenly it felt as if I am alive again.

Dammit, I hate eating "healthy"
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    I've been eating spinach salads with beets, avocado, and walnuts for either lunches or dinners, accompanied by beans or low-sodium vegetarian soup. Breakfast is bran cereal, oatmeal, or French toast. Leigh has also been making pasta/Asian noodle recipes with spaghetti squash instead of noodles.

My biggest problem is that I need to gain weight, but calorie-dense foods tend to be fried, high in sodium, or fatty, sugary desserts. Sometimes I'll buy Breyer's all natural ice cream to get some dessert.
  • edited 2014-05-11 14:57:44
    I like to cook, when I have the time for it. I typically don't bake, especially not from scratch, but that is usually for lack of time and money. I eat at least one serving of protein with each meal, a large amount of fresh fruit, and a moderate amount of fresh veggies every day. Breakfast usually consists of 1 serving of carbs (whole grain toast, french toast, oatmeal/whole grain cereal, or hash browns), 1 serving of protein (eggs, nuts, milk, cottage cheese, ham, turkey bacon, or chicken sausage), 1 serving of fruit or veggie, and either coffee with skim milk or black tea. Lunch is typically either salad with hard-boiled egg, garbanzo beans, or chicken for protein plus vinaigrette dressing (store-bought or homemade from oil, balsamic vinegar, and spices), or a sandwich on whole grain bread with various fillings (anything from turkey with cranberry sauce and cream cheese to peanut butter and bananas), plus a side of fruit, soup, or both fruit and soup. Dinner varies a lot. I like to eat out, but often don't have the money. Sometimes I'll eat what my school dining hall serves, sometimes I'll cook (mostly on weekends), sometimes I'll make a sandwich. I snack a lot, and snacks tend to be whatever I feel like. Two of my favorites are popcorn or fruit and cheese, but I also eat junk food snacks like fries or desserts sometimes.

I generally eat healthy, but have a bigger sweet tooth than Mr. Darcy. That's not always a bad thing, as I really, really like fruit (mangos, peaches, nectarines, asian pears, pineapple, and strawberries are my favorites). I generally eat whole grain bread/pasta or oatmeal for carbs, and I like experimenting with other carb sources beyond the usual bread and pasta (like spaghetti squash, sweet potato, or brown rice). However, I do eat white carbs from time to time if they're in something I really like (garlic bread, sticky rice, fancy italian food, french toast), and I do typically eat a sugary dessert once a day.

My biggest problem is that sometimes I drink a sweet drink with lots of calories (latte, frappucino, beer, cocktail) and then rationalize that it "didn't count" as a dessert because it was liquid, and so I wind up eating something desserty that day too. Another health problem I have is over-reliance splenda. When I want sweet flavor but don't want the calories, I wind up drinking tea or coffee with splenda or a sugar-free latte.

When I'm losing weight, I eat between 1800 and 2200 calories a day, and to maintain my weight, I eat anywhere between 2400 and 3000 a day (depending on how hungry I am). I need a lot of food to keep up with my muscle mass and activity level (I can run a mile in under 8 minutes, bench press my weight, do 10 pull ups in a row, squat over 200 lbs, deadlift 285, and rock climb pretty well).
  • So, trying both low carb and low fat at the same time is unfeasible with my current schedule, as I do need something to eat during the day. 

Guess it's back to low carb then, although this time I'll also stay clear of bacon, as I do need result faster than the last time.

On the flip side, finally I'm going to have some cheese
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I myself have been eating at restaurants a lot lately. Before that, I ate a lot of frozen pizza (hey, it's on sale for $3.50 a pop at Kroger). This may have something to do with the slow reversal of my weight loss.

Ah, the joys of stress-eating. :P
  • Frozen pizza is delicious if warmed up in an actual oven as opposed to microwave

And, honestly, stress eating is much better than just unmitigated stress
  • edited 2014-05-21 00:08:21
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    hahahahahahaha all i want to do is eat these goddamn chips hahahahahhahahhahahahaha fuck chips hahahaha
  • The most interesting things is that it appears that dietary preferences actually drift depending on what you've been eating during the last several months.

Over the last year, mine seems to have shifted in the following ways:

It is actually possible for a thing to be too sweet for me now. Examples of things too sweet are dates, one variety of diet coke and some specific varieties of milk chocolate (the same varieties that used to be my favourites)

Yes, there are different varieties of diet coke. I can now tell them apart. The cheapest one - local brand of the nearby store - is way too sweet.

Used to like dark chocolate, now hate it with a passion because it tastes too sour

Burgers are still delicious, but much less so than I remember them to be

Iced tea tastes off, period. Used to be my favourite drink

Ice cream went from okay to divine thing I'd die for

Cheese went from okay to delicious

Nuts went from delicious to cardboard. And never salty enough

Chips went from divine to okay

Sushi went from ewww, fish (I hate fish, alright) to delicious
  • I need to stop eating so many of these corn chips.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ~*veganbutterfaeriecakes*~
  • edited 2014-05-23 02:40:52
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I eat somewhat poorly, but being broke has generally cut down on my worst snacking habits, and while sedentary I have a very solid metabolism and pretty good natural muscle mass. So I only have a wee paunch. If I were to work out, I would probably be downright burly.
  • I eat somewhat poorly, but being broke has generally cut down on my worst snacking habits, and while sedentary I have a very solid metabolism and pretty good natural muscle mass. So I only have a wee paunch. If I were to work out, I would probably be downright burly.

:3

i am... less fortunate.
  • edited 2014-05-23 02:50:30
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    lol yon doughboy

sredni does he feel like silly putty or what
  • edited 2014-05-23 02:52:38

do not be a meanie. 8<

i weigh less than i used to

by the end of the year i hope to be under the 200 mark

i think i would be content with 190-180

i come from a long line of large people

not as in fat necessarily, but very broad in the shoulder and square

and my teenage stress eating did not go well with that
  • edited 2014-05-23 02:52:16
    Don't know for sure yet. Will in a few weeks.

Long-distance relationships blow goats.

^ I am at about 190 myself!
  • edited 2014-05-23 02:55:12
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    aww i'm not trying to be mean fatties are just so cute and doughy is all and they're always super warm for some reason
  • i do not mind being fat, in fact i tend to prefer larger guys

but i'm not quite comfortable with my current level of fat, mainly because my tush is not as shapely as i would like it to be and love handles mess with the silhouettes of shorter jackets, which i quite like (*right now i'm at like 210-220, the scales at the plasma donation place vary quite a bit unfortunately*)
  • edited 2014-05-23 03:01:14
    He is just the right shade of plump to be very, very cute, and I think that he will be a most satisfying cuddle.

^ That part with the jackets is unfortunate.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    wait have you two even seen what each other looks like
  • edited 2014-05-23 03:02:42

yeah. #thankubasedgooglehangouts

also fuck skype that shit never works

our first real life meetup is next month
  • Id gladly remain very fat if people stopped giving me flak for that. I've been quite alright with it
    And you have no idea how much I envy the people whose metabolism allows them to have nice things and not get fat. I think I might hate you :(
    And today I am doomed to spend my whole day in a bakery. Hungry. And without tasting a single nice thing that is all around me for several hours

WHY?!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You can raise your metabolism.
  • Yeah. With speed. If it was available over the counter I would have done it
  • our first real life meetup is next month

cooooool. have a good time and shit

to be more on topic. i basically eat vegetarian these days. i have a small breakfast and small lunch and only really have a meal of substance at dinner. that is usually enough for me unless I'm running/cycling/drumming lots in which case i have a bigger lunch. in general i have never eaten very much and am skinny as hell. maybe i should eat some more protein, but i don't really do meat and im not so fond of like egg and stuff. and I'm quite content being 9 stone (which is like 120lbs or something)
  • Okay, I've done with food restriction. Just done with it. Will see what kind of pattern I'll settle in eventually.
  • Good for you; it was making you more miserable than any results could have warranted.
  • Well, what I am trying to do now is to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm not and pay attention to how food makes me feel. Rating it not in terms of good food, bad food, but whether it was a good idea or bad idea. What contributes to it being a good or bad idea are whether it tastes good, if it is a kind of taste/feel I was going for, how do I feel afterwards, am I satisfied, was it appropriate for the circumstances and so on.

The problem is that I am still afraid of gaining weight and subsequent social disapproval, even though I know intellectually that I am doing what is best for me. And I still have some sort of desire to prove that I am a "good fatty" who doesn't overindulge so please don't get mad at me for being fat
  • Going to try to make a healthier version of biscuits and gravy this weekend. I've already got a biscuit recipe. I can make gravy with chicken sausage or turkey sausage + pan drippings, soup stock, and some substitute for cream (I've found that pureed cauliflower and milk made a good substitute for cream in one mac and cheese recipe I tried), plus any thickener or spices I need.
  • food

i eat it sometimes

yum
  • I'm partially lactose intolerant, so I shouldn't be eating stuff like cheese and chocolate.

Doesn't stop me.