Let's Talk Marriage!

edited 2014-05-27 04:18:47 in Talk
Do you aspire towards it, hope for it, fear it, feel completely indifferent to it? If you could describe marriage in one word what would it be?
Tagged:

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Already done. It seemed like the natural thing to do.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Never felt much interest in it.

Well, to be more specific: the state of being married might be ok, but having a wedding ceremony seems like a horrible thing
  • edited 2014-05-27 12:54:47
    Well, to be more specific: the state of being married might be ok, but having a wedding ceremony seems like a horrible thing
    this.

^ also, nice article.
  • Indifferent. It might happen one day, though extremely unlikely, as I have little interest in romance or sex, yet to fall in love by 25, and besides, my country would not allow me to marry a girl. I do not invest my happiness into it.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Planning for it, but sympathetic to those discouraged from it by divorce law.
  • as for my own opinions on marriage, i would like to get married someday if things line up.

but it's more a possible point along the journey than a destination if that makes any sense.
  • The legal nonsense is highly discouraging.

You're essentially holding your SO ransom and saying that you're entitled to their stuff if they ever try to leave you. That's not the intent, of course, but that's how it comes off.
  • The intent is to not leave the homemaker screwed and economically dependent on the working partner with no way to leave the situation.
  • That being said, I am in favour of marriage contracts to decide beforehand who gets what
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That seems sensible.

I can't really see myself ever marrying, but that might change if I found the right person, I dunno.  I like the idea of a big fancy wedding, but I know that's superficial of me.
  • Big fancy wedding here usually implies that everyone gets dead drunk and fights and property damage follow. I think I'll pass :)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    We didn't have a ceremony at all and might not have a ceremony at all and also marriage greatly improved our ability to live together. u_u
  • marriage is okay; weddings are obnoxious
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Mawwedge.
  • MetaFour said:

Mawwedge.

is what bwingf uff heaw, tugehvuh, tuay.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I would like to marry Anonus at some point...

I never saw the appeal of big expensive weddings, though. I'd like mine to be quiet affair, for friends and family.
    TWUE WUV
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

as for my own opinions on marriage, i would like to get married someday if things line up.

but it's more a possible point along the journey than a destination if that makes any sense.
    I feel the same way, although I really do want to be sure that marriage shouldn't change anything in the relationship that I am in for the worse, and that I feel like my love and I could make that kind of long-term mutual commitment.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I get the feeling that, whenever we decide to get married, me and SFS will end up eloping, then holding a small ceremony for our families afterwards.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are AU and invited? We could probably snag some tickets to Californada...
  • My partner and I are married due to being of different nationalities, marriage being the easiest way for us to legally live together in either country.  Her mother, however, insisted on dropping more than $15k on a wedding (in 1996; apparently that's equivalent to about $25k now).  We'd have rather had the money.  We'd have rather had her keep the money.  It wasn't much fun at all.
    I admit; sometimes I'm sad that AU doesn't live in Canada, since having someone to there to marry would make the whole immigration thing easier...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Given that I'm not dating, or looking for anyone right now, marriage is not something I tend to think about. Happily so too, since I'd rather not think about ceremonies. My admittedly few experiences with them have been fairly grueling, obnoxious, tiring, and overall events I don't wish to repeat. If I found someone, though? Well, I might be okay with it in time, but I'd rather my relationship not need that piece of paper, and whatnot.
    Unrelated, but I just remembered: Anonus and I agreed some time ago that, regardless of how far along I am in transitioning by the time we get married, I get to wear a frilly dress. :3
    Well... I would throw the party and have the big dinner with the fancy desserts, and the paper would give us both all kinds of good tax things depending on the circumstances, but... no, I'm not spending several thousand on it. Better to spend that on the honeymoon. Or maybe a house or nice apartment or something.
  • Fortunately, at least, my partner wanted a Renaissance Faire wedding and her mother agreed.  Afterward, she redyed all the stuff bright red and got a very nice usable outfit out of it.  What's the point of that wedding dress that stays in a closet for the rest of one's life?
  • IJBM: ostentatious displays of resource-plentifulness
  • edited 2014-05-27 21:24:32
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I deeply sympathise with that.

IJBM: ostentatious displays of resource-plentifulness

Well FUCK YOU, Thorstein Veblen!
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    dammit people I said marriage not weddings
    Oh, as an institution? Mixed feelings. It should be much more flexible than it is and more accommodating ofnthe complexities of human romantic relationships, but I wouldn't mind just entering into one as it currently stands, if not for at least five years...
  • I want to get married but if I think too long about the paperwork and logistics involved, I panic.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I can kind of relate, I'd consider it more seriously if I didn't have as many anxieties about it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I never saw the appeal of big expensive weddings, though. I'd like mine to be quiet affair, for friends and family.
    Sometimes I worry that I wouldn't be a good husband

I worry about lacking responsibility
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Marriage is nice I guess. Don't really have an opinion about it.

If my mate-to-be wants to get married I guess we'll get married.
    Anonus said:

Sometimes I worry that I wouldn't be a good husband

I worry about lacking responsibility
    You'd be as good a husband as I'd be a wife

For whatever that's worth
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Nobody would ever want to marry me.

But I wholeheartedly believe in marriage before kissing.
    I kissed Byakuren like 10,000 times in real life and also we got nekkid together all the time before we did the paperwork. :o
    that is very very bad >:(
    :(
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    That is very very very bad.  I do not approve.

I'm glad you did do the paperwork and presumably got married.

Now I approve.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Always try before you buy, that's what my old Religious Studies teacher used to say.