I don't understand people's attachment to corporations and brands.

edited 2014-03-24 01:56:05 in General
I really don't. 

Like say Company X has been making something, maybe it's corn chips. And people get attached to corn chips. And when they start making something else, like toilet plungers, some folks start screaming bloody murder because it somehow it pollutes the corn chips. And they could just not buy the toilet plungers, because it doesn't change the availability of corn chips on the market.

Or consider Company Y has been lately producing products that aren't good. And then people start saying; "They should die a horrible death," ignoring that living breathing people depend on the auspices and aegis of Company Y to provide for themselves.

Maybe Company Z has been slowly changing the type of service they've been producing over time, and now folks aren't happy because they're not getting the exact kind of service.

For the latter I can understand somewhat, if Company Z stood for Zebras as in they sold zebras, then they started selling giraffes and donkeys and horses and now you can't get zebras anymore, which is dumb because "Zebras" is right in their name. And my issue isn't that I can't get zebras, it's that it's misleading.

It's just so baffling to me. How much power do these entities have over you? And why?

Comments

• Company X has been making something, maybe it's corn chips. And people get attached to corn chips. And when they start making something else, like toilet plungers
    ???
  • I really don't either.

Like, I think it's cool when a company or otherwise a group of individuals consistently put out good work, whatever that work might be, and I think that a similar group doing unethical things is bad.

That is about the extent of any company loyalty I've ever had.

To give an example, people assume that I'm a Pepsi person. The only reason I buy Pepsi is because the local supermarket doesn't stock Coca-Cola. I don't have a strong preference on the matter, I just buy what's there because I like cola.

To literalize your abstractions a bit. A company that sold exclusively corn chips and plungers would be a bit odd.
  • Crackers I'm sorry but I think this thread is now going to be exclusively about Corn Chips & Plungers Inc., the most successful corn chips & plungers company on the continent.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    CALLING ANONUS
    I don't really get this either, though
  • Maybe Company Z has been slowly changing the type of service they've been producing over time, and now folks aren't happy because they're not getting the exact kind of service.
    i think this is because they can't get the kind of service that they want anymore period.

like, if you have a hair product that you like, and the formulation gets changed, you can't just go buy a different hair product that works just like the old version of the one you are using.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, the "Company X suddenly sells plungers" thing is a bit unrealistic....about the only company I can think of that ever did that was Computer Memories (they went from making hard drives to trying to invest in Hollywood). There's always going to be some conglomerate out there that stamps their name on totally unrelated things, but that doesn't strike me as being as bizarre.q
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay so specifically, I was venting about the Humble eBook Bundle that's been recently released.

People are saying that they'd rather be "raped to death than read a book" or "what have we done to deserve such a punishment". Ignoring the fact that the sudden availability of ebooks doesn't mean that ebooks pushed off video games that could have been on the docket.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, I wouldn't literally want Time Warner or Viacom to die a horrible death, it's just that I feel that being bought out would be their most obvious paths to better management. Of course they were formed by a series of buyouts and breakups, some of which were ill-conceived...

I don't like that corporate mergers and acquisitions lead to layoffs. It's probable that if Time Warner or Viacom got gobbled up, they would not be better-run. I just want them to return to better management because, for companies that control the creative industries as much as they do, they've been kind of slack lately.

Though it may be for the best that they are because that could opportunity for indie creators...

People are saying that they'd rather be "raped to death than read a book"

I don't wanna live on this planet anymore
  • Well, see, this is the problem with pretending you're talking about something vague when you're actually talking about something incredibly specific.

Those people are just assholes. Like, there's not a deeper reasoning there.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah they're being assholes but the world is filled with assholes and I want to know what's setting them off.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Come to the planet I live on. :)
    lee4hmz said:

Yeah, the "Company X suddenly sells plungers" thing is a bit unrealistic....about the only company I can think of that ever did that was Computer Memories (they went from making hard drives to trying to invest in Hollywood). There's always going to be some conglomerate out there that stamps their name on totally unrelated things, but that doesn't strike me as being as bizarre.q

And this Computer Memories once tried to sell itself to DIC? Good god, DIC's history is so weird.
  • probably like entitlement issues and general neuroticitude
  • Some people live for a reason to be angry, and not in a constructive way.

I feel like most people grow out of that kind of phase, but a lot of them don't.
    Miko said:

Come to the planet I live on. :)
    ok
  • I think it has to do with the way we abstract information mentally.

We put together general impressions of the way things are and similarly general impressions of how much we like the way things are, and when things challenge the way things are for things we like, we sometimes feel threatened by the lack of stability, so we complain about it.

It's one of those things that doesn't make much sense if you think about it, but it feels so intuitive.

Company reputation is, functionally, a quick judgement call as to what kind of actions you expect it to take in the future.  Obviously, you'd prefer it to do something you'd like.  And especially if you've grown fond of a company, you start to care a lot about what it does.

It's also difficult (read, impossible if we go really deep) to think through all the ramifications of a decision or action, so it's just much easier to not really bother with the consequences.
    But why do people care about companies, especially companies whose entire purpose is to generate profit?

The ones that care, they're great, but they're a minority.

It's like a one-sided relationship. Unrequited love.
  • edited 2014-03-24 02:22:48
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

• edited 2014-03-24 02:28:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

Those people remind me of this idiot.
  • edited 2014-03-24 02:27:10
    kill living beings

But why do people care about companies, especially companies whose entire purpose is to generate profit?

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

When i was a kid i'd often form an attachment to corporations (the ones i formed the strongest attachments to were Disney and Nintendo, but to a lesser extent also Nickelodeon, Cadbury's, Rare, Universal Pictures and others).

i guess because if my experience with something has been a net positive, i expect future experiences with it to also be positive?

not so much anymore, now that i'm older i can see how irrational that is (i tend to overly-idealize musicians, writers and specific TV series now, instead)
  • But why do people care about companies, especially companies whose entire purpose is to generate profit?

Because we think in terms of caring vs. not caring.  Liking vs. disliking.
  • edited 2014-03-24 02:31:04
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

They're not your country though.

Because we think in terms of caring vs. not caring.  Liking vs. disliking.

Is apathy so hard?
  • kill living beings

They're not your country though.
    i meant: it makes roughly as much sense as patriotism
    i guess psychologically it's a similar way of thinking

might have the same basis, maybe
    Oh. Okay.

Patriotism is also really weird to me. Questions are similar.

• Because we think in terms of caring vs. not caring.  Liking vs. disliking.

Is apathy so hard?
    Looking at the internet, I think the answer is "yes".
    Universal, Tachyon?

I admit to having some fondness for them myself, because they produced Babe...
    That's the thing though.

Did they make Babe or did they give some folks money to make Babe?
    Both those things are in a sense true.
    They probably gave some folks money to produce it...they did stick their logo at the beginning of it though...

impressed into my memory forever
  • edited 2014-03-24 03:32:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that was one of the few logos that stood out to me as a kid

although admittedly that was in part because for a long time i thought Universal was the same as the BBFC rating U (i was very young at the time, and hadn't encountered the word 'universal' in any other context)
    That logo sticks out for me because of two things: 
    • It came out in 1990, and I first managed to see it in 1991 or so. This was the tail end of the Palmyra era, when things started changing for the better for me and my brothers.
    • The TV version came out in fall 1991, and seeing as I was terrified of the 1975 Universal TV logo (seriously), it was a huge relief for me.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have a friend who seems to really want Batman Vs Superman and X-Men Days of Future Past to flop so that the Disney portion of the Marvel cinematic universe reigns supreme.

'tis weird.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
  • edited 2014-03-25 17:44:33
    ^ what does that have to do with the topic?

though that was amusing

unfortunately it seems to be a reference, rather than following the original pattern and creating something original.  though i guess there really isn't a pattern here other than simply insane troll logic.
  • that was one of my fave jokes way back when

(*high-5 for Al*)
  • fire trucks aren't red
    but fire engines are

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I see y'all do ERIF in the UK

Here I usually only see ECNALUBMA given that treatment for some reason
    in Wales you occasionally see SNALWIBMA
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Some fire engines around here do FIRE ERIF.
    why

what did Erif do wrong?
    freerf
  • why

what did Erif do wrong?

he knows what he did
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Odradek said:

I have a friend who seems to really want Batman Vs Superman and X-Men Days of Future Past to flop so that the Disney portion of the Marvel cinematic universe reigns supreme.

'tis weird.
    Huh... I could kind of see that with X-Men just because it's a Marvel franchise that not-Disney has the rights to,  but yeah, it's odd with Bats Vs Supes since that's a completely different universe. 
    Not-Disney = 20th Century Fox
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Figured you'd fill that tidbit in for me. :P