Fun facts about media

edited 2014-02-18 19:37:51 in General
The main character of Dark Souls is canonically named John Darksoul.

John Egbert is a fan nickname that has never been used in the actual comic.

Much of Batman's characteristics are derived from Prince's 1989 number one single, Batdance

Comments

• Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    The hit cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is made up of Bulgarian toy commercials from the eighties hastily cut together and redubbed
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Thomas Ligotti is secretly a pseudonymous collaborative project invented by a group of disgruntled former Detroit church ladies who wanted to troll Brian Lumley fans.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Classic sci-fi film Blade Runner is a loose adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel Billy and the Clonosaurs, the story of the android host of a TV variety show who valiantly tries to overthrow the false religion that controls the planet Earth.
    Led and the Zeppelins' Dark Side Of The Moon was written by lead guitarist and singer Doug Yule as a tribute to The Wizard Of Oz. It was one of the biggest albums in the genre of progressive house.
  • edited 2014-02-19 00:03:04
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    New Wave band Blondie invented rap music on their hit single, "The Magnificent Seven".
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss is a concept album based on Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass
    Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind is a concept album inspired by Michael Gira's reading of the diary of Anne Frank; it gets a lot more respect than his band's last album, Experimental Jet Set.
  • edited 2014-02-19 00:45:57
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Robert Fripp invented punk rock when he experimented with a rough, simplistic guitar tone during a couple of 1973 live concerts. It took Johnny Ramone, having listened to every bootleg King Crimson tape he could get his hands on, to discover this tone and reveal its awesome power to the masses.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The Underdog Show is a series based on George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

Robert Fripp invented punk rock when he experimented with a rough, simplistic guitar tone during a couple of 1973 live concerts. It took Johnny Ramone, having listened to every bootleg King Crimson tape he could get his hands on, to discover this tone and reveal its awesome power to the masses.

Which was in turn honed to perfection by William Bennett on the ground-breaking Whitehouse track "Rock 'n' Roll", on which he pays tribute to the genre that saved his life.
    Justin Bieber started as a grindcore singer. His hit song "Baby" was recorded as a joke and never intended to be released
  • Fun fact: I started watching Leviathan: the Last Defense because I think the character Leviathan (a.k.a. Leviatan) seems cute.

(folks who hang out on #ijbm might get this one)
  • edited 2014-02-19 14:33:57
    Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    In a 2011 social experiment, several videogame journalists were given a copy of the Orson Welles masterpiece Citizen Kane and a Playstation 3 controller. At certain points on the film the subjects had to press X in the controller for the footage to advance. The response of the journalists was widely positive, calling Citizen Kane "game of the year", "a groundbreaking advance on storytelling techniques" and "the Citizen Kane of videogames".
  • The LEGO Movie was created with Kre-O and Mega Bloks bricks.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    K2: The Return of Kane is widely regarded as that rarity of rarities: a film sequel that outsides the original.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    In Interview With A Vampire, Tom Cruise did not know at all that he was being filmed.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    all media is fundamentally about boobs
    Duran Duran Duran supplied the soundtrack for Rio.
  • edited 2014-02-20 02:14:31
    kill living beings
    invisible cities was originally conceieved as a travel guide to venice, but calvino's son got really into D&D at just the right time

the favored of the potential i robot movie scripts thrown around in early development was about a robot conspiracy infiltrating the galactic presidency, but they couldn't figure out where to put will smith
    MetaFour said:

Classic sci-fi film Blade Runner is a loose adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel Billy and the Clonosaurs, the story of the android host of a TV variety show who valiantly tries to overthrow the false religion that controls the planet Earth.

recently finished cloneosaurs. a+
  • category theory was actually all made-up.  it's all fake.  all of it.  grothendieck "retired" not because of his politics but because a hit was put out on him because he was about to reveal the whole con
  • the magic the gathering pro tour hall of fame is actually a memorial for those killed in matches where safeties failed to engage

there's an entire wing dedicated to goyf victims
    Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, wasn't aware that hedgehogs were actual animals until 2011.
  • The letter "F" is actually a shortened version of an ancient phrase "Friends who do stuff together".
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The character of Dark Souls 2 is canonically female and is named Jane Darksoulteu

The cliffhanger ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion was famously resolved in the movie Neon Genesis Evangelion: Fire Walk With Me
  • It contains three vowels.
  • kill living beings
    The use-mention distinction was first conceptualized because Hume just hated Origen personally
    More than 55 millions of people died during the filming of the 1994 movie Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, in several incidents unrelated to the movie. This has lead some to believe the movie is cursed.
  • Beyonce is the sole survivor of the Houston experiment designed to create the perfect pop star. The other former members of Destiny's Child are simulacrums of the originals, who were consumed by Beyonce in order to absorb their power.
  • ^ for some reason this makes me think of some sort of weird cross between the US pop music industry and anime plots and chrono trigger's black omen
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

In a 2011 social experiment, several videogame journalists were given a copy of the Orson Welles masterpiece Citizen Kane and a Playstation 3 controller. At certain points on the film the subjects had to press X in the controller for the footage to advance. The response of the journalists was widely positive, calling Citizen Kane "game of the year", "a groundbreaking advance on storytelling techniques" and "the Citizen Kane of videogames".

I laughed.
  • edited 2014-06-04 12:39:18
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ This is one of the funniest threads here. :)
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-04 14:35:33

Beyonce is the sole survivor of the Houston experiment designed to create the perfect pop star. The other former members of Destiny's Child are simulacrums of the originals, who were consumed by Beyonce in order to absorb their power.

Well, Michelle, Farrah and LaTavia were absorbed

I'm not sure about LeToya but I wouldn't be surprised if they got her; last I heard, Kelly was still on the run
    Brothers Lloyd and Charlie Kaufman have an agreement to never mention each other in their work in Troma and postmodern magical realist filmmaking respectively, in order to not feel like one is riding the other's coattails.
    Every single line in the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises had been used by director Christopher Nolan as a pick up line at least once.

Nicholas Cage based his character in "Vampire's Kiss" on an alt-right blogger he met.