Heapers' Holiday Hangout!

edited 2013-12-08 11:37:55 in General
LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN! :D

You guys probably all know by now, but I love Christmas, so here is our Christmassy thread for Christmassy things.

My family is probably going to get our Christmas tree today. Yaaaay!

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    We're on the way home with our Christmas tree

Strader's Garden Center has four cats who live in the store...three adults and one adorable kitten!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yay kitten :D

can we see the tree when it's up?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yes ^_^
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I prefer Halloween
    i was never big on Hallowe'en

nothing seems to happen except kids knocking on your door demanding sweets

and we didn't even get any trick-or-treaters this year, so Hallowe'en was entirely uneventful
    As a kid I didn't like Halloween and preferred Christmas. Now it's the opposite.

I think it's just that Halloween at least allows the possibility of being all grimdark.
  • edited 2013-12-08 18:59:49
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Hallowe'en is weird, when you think about it

the grimdark is only costume, and at the heart is gleeful light mischief

the rest of the year round grimdark is no fun at all
  • edited 2013-12-08 19:45:53
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Halloween is Candy Day, so it is my favorite holiday

The trick-or-treating where I live has dwindled in recent years, because most of the kids have grown up and there aren't a lot of kids to replenish those numbers...
    Not many people trick-or-treated here this year because it was raining heavily and very cold...

Anyway, I prefer Christmas. You get to do silly ritual things and decorate your houses with trinkets and lights and see your uncle from out of town...
  • i just spent all of the hundred dollars i just got on a whole bunch of pawsitively purrfect presents for mom~
  • also a 20 dollar steam card for moi because im a terrible grinch
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually kind of liked Halloween and Christmas pretty much equally, even if Halloween didn't get you out of school or work.

Also, I have this stuck in my head now:

• Halloween is more important than Christmas.
    why?
  • edited 2013-12-08 22:06:38
    Because Castlevania is an awesome game series but there is no good Christmas-themed game series.  Also because it's my birthday.
    but Christmas is someone else's birthday

let us not forget
    Glenn Magus Harvey
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Because Castlevania is an awesome game series but there is no good Christmas-themed game series.  Also because it's my birthday.

http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=262

• @Tachyon: I thought that wasn't actually his birthday anyway, just when it's observed.
    you thought right

i just wanted to use that gif
  • I don't get what the gif has to do with me
    but that is a nice-looking cat
    OH IT ALWAYS HAS TO BE ABOUT YOU GLENN DOES IT?????

sounds like i'mma have to remind you of the REAL meaning of Christmas:

• I am conflicted about Christmas music

vanilla Christmas music is very nice
    it is heartfeltly melodic and has fulfilling harmonies

however
    everyone fucking plays it everywhere
    and fucks up the harmonies and melodies
    over the radio, on TV, in stores, on the internet...
  • I was going to post Jangle Bells from DKC3 but then I heard this, so now I'm posting this instead:

Time-lapse video of the Columbus Metropolitan Library's annual holiday train display being built:

I notice they have a Thomas engine this year; I can't remember if he was there in previous years or not
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

yay Castlevania \o/

Also,

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This too:

• The nativity scene is by now a part of U.S. culture.  So what if it's Christian in origin.  For those of you who aren't religious, it's a symbol of the origin of what we call Christmas today.  And there's nothing wrong with showing it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The problem is that Jesus was almost certainly born in late spring—late May or early June, to be more specific. The birth of Christ was later conflated with Saturnalia and other winter solstice festivals in order to convert pagans. That being said, though, a good deal of modern American and European Christmas traditions are holdovers from when Martin Luther tried to roll Christmas and the Feast of Saint Nicholas into one thing to tamp down on what he considered idolatry.
    there's nothing wrong with showing the nativity scene anyway

there's nothing wrong with expressing your religion and afaik basically nobody is offended by it anyway despite what alarmists would have you believe
    Agreed.

Now I'm reminded of the nativity pageant in Love Actually. "There was more than one lobster at the birth of Jesus?" "Well, duh!"
  • Tachyon said:

there's nothing wrong with showing the nativity scene anyway

there's nothing wrong with expressing your religion and afaik basically nobody is offended by it anyway despite what alarmists would have you believe

• Agreed.

Now I'm reminded of the nativity pageant in Love Actually. "There was more than one lobster at the birth of Jesus?" "Well, duh!"
    good movie
    My family is quite fond of it, and so am I.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

I am conflicted about Christmas music

vanilla Christmas music is very nice
    it is heartfeltly melodic and has fulfilling harmonies

however
    everyone fucking plays it everywhere
    and fucks up the harmonies and melodies
    over the radio, on TV, in stores, on the internet...

I love all the carols, all the hymns. They help contribute to the atmosphere of the season.

Y'know what I hate? Everything that's not written or performed like either of those. Your rock-and-roll. Your jazz. Your country. I hate all Christmas songs that aren't a hymn or a carol.
    It seems like every couple years some pop singer comes out with a new Christmas song that gets played for one year before being promptly forgotten. For 2011 it was Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe", for 2013 it seems to be Kelly Clarkson's "Underneath the Tree".

The solution, obviously, is for pop singers to stop putting out Christmas albums. Seriously, it's so uninspired...what is there you could possibly say about Christmas this late in the game that hasn't already been said?
  • edited 2013-12-22 08:20:48

Well, there is one fairly recent Christmas pop song that seems to have actually stuck - Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" from 1994. Who's to say that this is necessarily a once-every-fifty-years-or-so success?
  • edited 2013-12-22 10:45:18
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't know, there are a ton of untapped genre and emotional angles to go with Christmas. Going through a break-up on Christmas. Rapping about being poor on Christmas. 'How The Fuck Am I Going To Get Warm.'

There's only one song about alcoholism and drug addiction about Christmas. ONE. Also I forgot about that one, so there's the one aforementioned rock/punk song that I like that isn't a carol or a hymn.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

'How The Fuck Am I Going To Get Warm.'

I think that would just be "Aqualung"
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I seem to be something of a minority of this point, but I'm convinced that Sufjan Stevens' Christmas song "Sister Winter" is about seasonal depression.

On the other hand, I'm still not entirely sure what "Christmas Unicorn" is about. But it's alright, I love you.
  • Rapping about being poor on Christmas.

"Christmas in Hollis".

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    so anyway this happened:

Aww, it's funny because cats think they're Jesus!
  • It seems like every couple years some pop singer comes out with a new Christmas song that gets played for one year before being promptly forgotten. For 2011 it was Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe", for 2013 it seems to be Kelly Clarkson's "Underneath the Tree".

The solution, obviously, is for pop singers to stop putting out Christmas albums. Seriously, it's so uninspired...what is there you could possibly say about Christmas this late in the game that hasn't already been said?
    How about a song about wrapping up the winter.... :3
  • So, is there free food at this event?  [/typicalstudent]