To put it most unkindly, trap music is adult contemporary for the prosumer age.

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Everything indie or shocking becomes mainstream with age. I remember when people were terrified of hair metal; now it's considered classic rock!
  • There are meanings of that word other than the transphobic one.
  • conglomerates?
  • The hell's a "prosumer?"
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Agreed.

I find it quite amusing that it was the only word in the tagline that the article never bothered to explain.
  • If pro is the opposite of con, does that mean a prosumer someone who gives back to the community generously?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The proliferation of the trap beat is an annoying development.
  • edited 2013-09-20 15:45:05
    The sadness will last forever.
    i heard adult contemporary

fuck yeah

wait

huh??
  • The hell's a "prosumer?"

Buzzword-speak for a consumer who is also a producer.
    Something from that article has been percolating in my brain, and I'm only now able to articulate my response. This bit, right here:

Music styles that, like hip-hop, are connected to some kind of grass roots, are fluid, with constant incremental changes building into epochal ones. When they move from their base audience, it’s often because a particular conjuncture of sounds resonates with a new crowd. But here is where a kind of misrecognition occurs: for the neophytes, the style is this one way, frozen in time. The give and take between music makers and their core followings, the push and pull, ebb and flow that built disco, hip-hop, house, reggaeton, and so on, is interrupted by listeners who in their enthusiasm don’t always understand the history or sociology of their genres. They don’t have to: when music becomes a commodity, it can travel worldwide, as all commodities do, severed from any knowledge of the conditions of its production. Genres cease to be grassroots social worlds, and instead become something more like brands: mere sonic surfaces rather than deep historical processes.

When a genre develops a signature sound, it’s ripe for the plucking by interlopers. Instead of having any real connection to the communities that develop musical styles through the dialectical movement between music makers and their core audiences, an outside producer just has to have a decent set of ears and a computer, and can start cranking out reasonable facsimiles, like factories in China churning out fake Coach purses indistinguishable to everyone but connoisseurs. Even if you can tell the difference, the functional parts are close enough. Today’s Chinese pirate manufacturers pride themselves on their quality goods, just as today’s kings of musical appropriation do.

This is how a new definition of trap arose, one tied to EDM, or Electronic Dance Music [...] As you might guess, EDM trap has little to do with the off-the-books hustles of the urban poor. Rather, it’s a largely middle-class affair, slapped together by suburban teens and college sophomores; using dubstep as your Call of Duty soundtrack is  so 2009. Today’s trap retains most of the sounds of underground hip-hop: the booming 808 bass drums, the hi-hats, and of course, the drops, now deployed in that irritatingly knowing way that characterizes so much digital culture. The answer to “Damn, son, where’d you find this?” is always the same: you downloaded it off the internet.

But there’s one important sound that has been removed in this refurbishing process: EDM trap is mostly instrumental. By dispensing with the rapping, EDM trap effectively silences the black voices that kept the style connected to the stories of the American lumpenproletariat. It’s the auditory equivalent of kicking out a poor family so you can live in their classic brownstone. In the words of one of the dance underground’s sharpest figures, Rizzla DJ: “Damn, son, put that back where you found it!”

Is the author against any and all reappropriation/reinterpretation of music by those outside its original scene? Or, is his condemnation of EDM Trap a tacit admission that the vocals and lyrics were the only good features of old-school vocal Trap?
  • The internet is ruining sampling yadda yadda yadda.

White people cultural appropriation yadda yadda yadda what do you mean Lunice is black yadda.
  • People using race and class narratives to justify their own elitism is really frustrating. What on earth is more democratic and empowering to the poverty-stricken than the combination of the internet and piracy?
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    hahaha this owns
  • KJIKJI
    Look, guys, "Harlem Shake" didn't get popular because people love trap music, it got popular because trap music is so obfuscational in regards to the culture surrounding its inception (Purity Rings + Ariana Grande + Katy Perry = 0 black people) that when Disney co-opts rave culture and your musical genre to sell shitty girl groups it cannot be a surprise; it must be accepted, as the Internet allows everybody in a corporate hierarchy to understand a traditionally poor, urban, African-American form of lifestyle condensed to a PowerPoint® presentation of "not-dubstep"

that sentence was poststructuralism nigga ! ! !
  • KJIKJI
    I am better than OK! Classical postmodernism RAWKS! D.A.R.E to be cool!
    The internet is ruining sampling yadda yadda yadda.

White people cultural appropriation yadda yadda yadda what do you mean Lunice is black yadda.
    Aside from the racial angle, I sort of get the impression that this author's argument could have been used a few decades ago to dismiss, say, ska or dub or hip-hop in their nascent stages.

What the hell am I saying? I don't even like trap; why am I trying to defend it from this guy?
  • because he's obnoxious and obviously does not know a lot about what he is talking about
  • if you want to dismiss trap you just say it is terrible music played by the sort of dj who triggers an air horn sample 4 times in a row to mask the fact that they can't transition for shit
  • edited 2013-09-23 05:16:25

the airhorns and superfluous vocal samples are already built in, the audience won't even notice
  • People using race and class narratives to justify their own elitism is really frustrating. What on earth is more democratic and empowering to the poverty-stricken than the combination of the internet and piracy?

peace, land, and bread.
  • spinor said:

People using race and class narratives to justify their own elitism is really frustrating. What on earth is more democratic and empowering to the poverty-stricken than the combination of the internet and piracy?

peace, land, and bread.
    ok Karl, chill out.

if you want to dismiss trap you just say it is terrible music played by the sort of dj who triggers an air horn sample 4 times in a row to mask the fact that they can't transition for shit

This.

Of course, if one wanted to critique trap without dismissing it entirely, the argument would not be too far from this exact point. It is very easy to make trap music, but it is very hard to make good trap music.
  • I was hoping for a text-based explanation since I am currently in a computer lab, but I guess I'll check it out later when I get home.
    It was initially a subgenre of Southern hip-hop primarily distinguished by its use of busy, regimented, bare-bones 808-type drum machine patterns and generally "grimy" feel. The dance variant ("trap-rave") marries that kind of beat construction and sound to rave aesthetics.

That's oversimplifying it, but meh...