now that Bulbous-kun: The Romantance is out, how do we feel about it?

Personally, I think the decision to canonize the Bulbous-kun / onii-chan ship was questionable at best, but I can't say I've ever seen two onion boys get married under the moonlight in an anime before, especially not two who were blood(?) related, so I have to at least give them props for being original.

Did you guys hear that the production team (mostly the director, Ryusei Nakao) really went to Philadelphia and even had authentic Cheese Steaks to really nail the atmosphere of "Philly" in the show?? Interesting stuff.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I thought it was pretty faithful to the light novel, though the parking garage scene was a lot more explicit in the source material. I don't think you can even do that with a 1994 Toyota Crown in the real world.
  • I've always heard it being a Toyota Crown was a mistranslation, but I don't know enough about car culture to know what kind of car it was originally supposed to be.
  • edited 2024-03-29 05:05:52
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That's an urban legend. Some Honda fanboys in the '90s made that up because they were pissed that a Toyota was featured in such an iconic scene.
  • oouuu. Fascinating

do you think it had any influence on Revroomlutionary Girl utena
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I suspect the director of Shoujo Kawainochi Utena (the pun in the kanji is untranslatable but the English title is thematically appropriate) was influenced by a similar scene in the infamous experimental film Space Age Bachelor Pad, as he had worked as an assistant to its director and hired the same soundtrack composer for the racing themes.