Christmas & General Holiday Traditions Thread

So as not to clog up the other one.

So, what are some things you do at Christmas that other people probably don't do?

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Every year we decorate the tree together, without massive endless library of ornaments, each and every one of which has a story, while we play Christmas music on the stereo we only use this time of year.

Also, the cat always hides under the tissue paper we use to wrap the ornaments.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well, we don't usually have turkey in our house, cuz my parents don't much like it, so we have chicken instead

i'm aware that in America turkey is more of a Thanksgiving thing, do you have it at Christmas too?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Sometimes.

I think sometimes it is ham.

Also in my dad's household, my step-mom makes Monkey Bread for breakfast every year
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My family generally does turkey at Thanksgiving and ham at Christmas.

When I was a little kid, we used to open one "early present" on Christmas Eve. Mom got to decide which one we opened, and in a bizarre "coincidence" it was always the one containing a new pair of pajamas!

We stopped doing that when our Christmas Day family gathering got too big and we had to do my mom's family on Christmas Eve and my dad's family on Christmas Day. Amusingly enough, though, Grandma still gets me pajamas on Christmas Eve...how little has changed. :P
  • Every year, my family gathers round for a fiercely competitive board game of some sorts, usually taking place after we've had our Christmas evening meal.

We take winning very seriously.

Monopoly is officially banned in my house.
  • i thought about this for a minute but every time i tried to come up with something it sounded really bitter
  • we go to my uncle's house.

This has become a less pleasant experience as the years go by.
  • Since my brother and sister have moved out, and I'm away most of the time at Uni, Christmas is one of the only times we're all together in the same house. Traditions in the Snell/Ellison (my sister's soon to be surname) household include:

* Putting up and decorating the 7' tall Christmas tree, which usually takes about two hours and results in your arms and hand covered in scratches.
    * Messages on FB about what we want for Christmas.
    * Tasteful Christmas jumpers
    * Overly competitive board games
    * Eating all the chocolates tactfully (aka eat the ones other people like, and the leave the ones you like but everyone else hates. So I go for the strawberry creams because everyone loves them, and leave the coconut and nut ones because I like them, but no one else does.)
    * Eat far too much
    * Sister and her fiancé make a gingerbread house which we proceed to destroy bit by bit (usually starting with the roof)
    * Watching films
    * Watching Doctor Who special
    * Visit the Barnsley Mafia (aka the paternal relatives) on Boxing Day (or thereabouts).
    * Visit the maternal relatives for New Years
    * Start school again way too soon.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    get depressed about how Christmas gets less fun every year