Pongo and Perdita don't ACT very British.

My versions don't at least, and this is a problem.

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    what is "acting british"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yeah, I'm a shameless Britaboo and even I don't know what you mean by "acting British"
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Uh

I don't know?

I guess I was just thinking about how once Roger and Anita dragged everyone to America due to being rich as fuck and there being no farms in the UK they wanted to buy, Cadpig and Lucky et al. became more American than their parents.
    Though Cadpig's bio-mom Priscilla is British and she doesn't act British.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I assume AU means the stereotypical drinking tea and crumpets, acting all high and mighty, dry wit, and other stuff?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think i know anyone who acts like that
    The dry wit.

Also, I need to incorporate more British food into this show. Roger and Anita and Nanny still eat it for breakfast. And they can have a Christmas pudding in one episode.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    IJBM: America doesn't have Christmas crackers

Or at least, they're relatively uncommon here
    TIL Americans don't have Christmas pudding

i guess British humour is probably slightly different from American humor but it's something that varies from person to person
    Tachyon said:

Well, tea and crumpets are tasty.
    or Christmas crackers!

sounds like i wouldn't recognize your Christmases, were it not for the tree

Tachyon said:

Well, tea and crumpets are tasty.
    sure

i know people who live up to aspects of the stereotype, but nobody who embodies it

Some people get acclimated quickly, AU

Well, that makes sense, but, like, there's also underlying fears that my version of Pongo is too much of a dullard.
    Tachyon said:

or Christmas crackers!

sounds like i wouldn't recognize your Christmases, were it not for the tree

Hey now! We have, uh...come to think of it, I guess there aren't a lot of uniquely American Christmas traditions.

We just kinda have a genericized Christmas.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Most of the throway details in the Hogfather about Hogswatch might as well be fantasy world traditions, what with the paper hats and such.
  • edited 2015-11-22 00:30:09
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Paper hats are magical items, due to their inherent property of always being just a little bit too small, no matter who tries to wear them.
    i was assuming you had your own traditions that i wouldn't recognize, actually

eggnog, maybe, i never had eggnog at Christmas
  • Anonus said:

Well, that makes sense, but, like, there's also underlying fears that my version of Pongo is too much of a dullard.
    has anyone made that comment to you? if not, then don't worry about it. 

90% of the stuff that writers see as flaws aren't visible to the reader
    Tachyon said:

Ok, it's probably more likely that I just don't recognize which of our traditions aren't universal.

Did How the Grinch Stole Christmas become a big thing over there? My family used to sit down and read the book every Christmas Eve.

(The illustrations aren't in color, so if you didn't see the cartoon, you'd never know the Grinch is green!)
  • We have Christmas Crackers at my house but they're eatin' crackers, not poppers.

Anonus said:

has anyone made that comment to you? if not, then don't worry about it. 

90% of the stuff that writers see as flaws aren't visible to the reader
    Makes sense

I just get all worried that my versions of the 101 characters are shit. Like how Cadpig isn't hippie enough (the New Age stuff largely gave way to vegetarianism), and how Lucky is still too boring (he was the real show's viewpoint character, and less interesting than Cadpig or Spot)...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

I loved eggnog as a kid, even though either the drink or the nutmeg made me feel nauseous after I drank it.

I thought that wasn't so bad, because I'd feel even better when I stopped feeling nauseous.
    the Grinch is well-known over here, yes

Anonus, your characters are not "shit".
    Jane said:

We have Christmas Crackers at my house but they're eatin' crackers, not poppers.

?
  • Jane said:

We have Christmas Crackers at my house but they're eatin' crackers, not poppers.

?
    oh I always thought British Christmas Crackers were fireworks.

anyway ours are just the snowflake-shaped Ritz crackers.
  • man, a family christmas involving poppers would be quite the aristocrats setup
    No, our Christmas crackers go boom, but if you mention food crackers, anybody in Britain is gonna think of the square thing.
    i guess you could call them fireworks, technically they probably would be considered such, since they do make a bang

they look like this:

they contain paper hats and bad jokes and sometimes gimmicky toys
  • The paper hats from Christmas crackers never stay on my head. Not because my head is too big, but because I have bushy hair.
    also we have Ritz crackers over here, they exist here
  • Also, how does one act British? I'm a British person myself, and even I don't fucking know. Have self deprecating humour, maybe?
  • edited 2015-11-22 00:47:58

Toolsie said:

Also, how does one act British? 

We don't do the paper hats, but as far as tacky little sub-Happy Meal toys? Those usually go straight in the stockings.
    spell humour with a u

be randomly insulting towards anyone who doesn't

there you go, now you are acting like a British person, congratulations

We don't do the paper hats, but as far as tacky little sub-Happy Meal toys? Those usually go straight in the stockings.

cracker toys are like, way, way sub-happy meal tier
    Tachyon said:

cracker toys are like, way, way sub-happy meal tier
    Are we talking the kind of shit you get in those little bags weird white people hand out at Halloween?

I mean, even piñatas have die cast cars and such in them, or at least they did when I was a kid
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-11-22 00:52:26
    What the fuck are they then, rubber bands and pocket lint?

I mean happy meal isn't exactly a high bar
  • Like, seriously, you do not have to try hard to beat this:

• edited 2015-11-22 00:57:30
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    put it this way, a die-cast car would be a surprisingly high-quality cracker toy

more likely you get, like, a piece of thin plastic cut in the shape of a fish that supposedly reads your mood depending on how it curls up when you hold it in your hand

or a tiny plastic frog with a tab on the back that you press down on to make it 'jump'

like it doesn't have moving parts, it 'jumps' because you pushed down on it

the better ones are puzzles of some sort
    that particular happy meal toy is horrible, but considerably more substantial than what you'd get out of a cracker
  • tbh that still sounds better than a Shark Tale dildo with a creepy face
    well, yes

that is bad even by happy meal standards though
    Honestly I recognized that as a Shark Tale toy even before I saw it named here >_>

Also, didn't they have those toys at Burger King, not McDonald's?
    I remember DreamWorks (Animation) SKG's tie-in partner being BK before McDonald's (which was effective with Shrek the Third)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

i guess you could call them fireworks, technically they probably would be considered such, since they do make a bang

they look like this:

they contain paper hats and bad jokes and sometimes gimmicky toys

My family gets those here sometimes because they're fun and kind of absurd, but when Mom was in college the people from Erie and Pittsburgh used to say she sounded English, so who knows.

It's not unheard of here, much like Boxing Day, but it's by no means common.