ATTN EVERYONE

I do not give a shit about Jeff Gerstman and Rooster Teeth

Thank you.

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    yet you made a thread about how much you don't give a shit about them
  • I don't know what the first of these two things is.
  • Jane said:

I don't know what the first of these two things is.

• edited 2015-11-19 23:22:38
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    One of the two founders of Giant Bomb, who got fired from GameSpot when he gave a bad review to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, after Eidos spent a small fortune advertising it on the site.
  • and what do we call this act?

VIDEO GAMES
  • edited 2015-11-19 23:27:25

that'd be kinda depressing
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I barely know what either of these two things are.
  • isn't rooster teeth the people who make like those kinda mediocre Halo animations or something?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

One of the two founders of Giant Bomb, who got fired from GameSpot when he gave a bad review to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, after Eidos spent a small fortune advertising it on the site.

And then CBS, GameSpot's parent company, ended up buying Giant Bomb!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah, also RWBY
    Yeah.

They also make RWBY.

(Now someone will mock it in 3, 2, 1...)
  • edited 2015-11-19 23:36:23
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well idk if they're mediocre tbf i don't watch them

RWBY is alright imo
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I don't have any interest in RWBY. It just looks like the complete opposite of my thing, and while I know it's stupid, people talking a lot about it bugs me for reasons I find hard to express or explain. Maybe because it's so divisive while seeming so... bland, and people get super impassioned about it for and against, and I just find it really tiresome.

Yeah, that's it. A friendly conversation about it would be fine, but hearing people bitch or argue about a thing I have no investment in is just frustrating to read.
  • The only person I know who likes RWBY is Waltzy (who, mind you, SUPER likes it) and people seem to be inordinately rude to her about the subject.

Like anons will just waltz into her askbox and be dicks about it.
    I don't really bitch about people disliking RWBY. It just mostly gets tiresome for me to see people proclaiming themselves above the series in some sense, which tends to happen when people talk about disliking it.

I will grant that the average RT fan is pretty irritating, and the times GMH has over-reacted to criticisms against it are pretty facepalm worthy, but still...
  • edited 2015-11-20 15:59:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Obsessive fans of flawed things and obsessive haters of the same things tend to be not terribly different.

And by that, I don't mean people who simply love or loathe a thing, I mean people who can't accept other opinions about them.
  • from what I've seen a lot of RWBY fans tend to actually be pretty critical of the show, especially the handling of the male characters. 

But again, secondhand experiences.
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:17:30
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That's been my experience with RWBY fans too. Primarily from the people here, though.

Regardless, I'm not very pleased by it, but watch it for a few reasons: A couple of my friends like it (mostly Sect), my friends like discussing it and I can always be down for a pleasantly energizing argument, and the episodes don't take too long to watch. Ultimately, it's one more thing to get worked up about, which I'd rather take than not.
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:16:41
    Jane said:

The only person I know who likes RWBY is Waltzy (who, mind you, SUPER likes it)

Hey, what about me?  Though I guess I'm not super into it, but I do like it.

I will grant that the average RT fan is pretty irritating, and the times GMH has over-reacted to criticisms against it are pretty facepalm worthy, but still...

I'm actually not an RT fan overall since I don't know the rest of their works.

As for over-reacting...I'm sorry, I guess.  Though I don't remember what I did that you feel I overreacted about.

Maybe it was just me filling the Landfill and maybe some other places with basically my exasperation at dealing with someone on #ijbm (IJBM's IRC channel) who basically kept on ragging on about it every time it got mentioned.  In case you're curious, I'm thinking of Cygan/Nova/Tempera.  And I think MachSpeed/Lin_Chong also didn't particularly like it, maybe also ponicalica, but I'm not sure I'm remembering clearly.

Basically I got tired of the comments about how much the show sucked while I was still willing to give it, at the very least, a benefit of the doubt, to see how all the unanswered questions about the setting and the characters would play out.
    I swear, you and Lin are pure <3< sometimes.
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:18:50
    kill living beings
    areyoufuckingkiddingme.mp4
  • I swear, you and Lin are pure <3< sometimes.

Well he wasn't the main person that I argued with on this issue, assuming I did argue with him on this at all, which I can't remember whether I did.

That said, I think my getting mad at RWBY haters was probably an early sign of my getting tired of media fandoms.  My criticisms of Tempera's complaints about RWBY are quite similar to my criticisms of anime fans' ways of critiquing anime.
  • So yeah, I guess, sorry about spinning off of complaining about RWBY haters into a generalized complaint about people jumping to judgement about narrative media works.

(I still don't like that practice though.)
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Temp was and is ultimately pretty reasonable, especially when it comes to critiquing writing and characterization (as expected given that she is also a writer), though if memory serves never did buy your arguments and whatnot. I'm not quite sure why you're drawing a comparison there, primarily because I've forgotten your criticisms.

Lin was also involved to varying degrees. So, likely.
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:28:10
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have to say that I'm more referring to how the RT fanbase in general is sorta manchildish.

There are quite a few areas of RWBY fandom that are self-aware in the regards that Jane and Crystal describe.
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:34:08
    ^^

I guess that just goes back to the heart of the question of whether something is enjoyable to oneself by any combination of various different narrative means/elements versus whether a narrative work can be judged for quality by some set of "objective"/rigorous/scholarly-consensus/etc. standards.  Closely related, of course, is the question of whether there is such a thing as a "good" creative work.

I know that lately I've been arguing pretty heavily that there is no such definition that can have all-purpose applicability.

Precisely.

Pure tsundere kismesissitude.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think there's such thing as an objectively good story.

i guess i'd consider myself a somewhat critical fan of RWBY?  i don't love it, but it did get better over time.  i'm not caught up, though.
  • ^ same on all points presented tbh
  • edited 2015-11-20 16:50:03
    Tachyon said:

i don't think there's such thing as an objectively good story.

i guess i'd consider myself a somewhat critical fan of RWBY?  i don't love it, but it did get better over time.  i'm not caught up, though.

I think one problem for me is that, while I wasn't a huge fan of RWBY, I basically wasn't very critical of RWBY in the first place either, and then suddenly I got blindsided by Tempera (and others probably) speaking very strongly negatively about it as if it were like some sort of horrible crime against storytelling or something and suddenly I was forced to answer for my own simply saying that it's "pretty good" and that I found it interesting.

So suddenly I was like, how should I deal with this, do I accept the criticisms presented despite having not thought much about them because they seem to have some grains of truth to them, or do I go with my gut feeling of kinda enjoying and being interested in and curious about RWBY to want to see more?  Because I didn't actually have a critical (as in critic) opinion of the show at the time.

And even now, even when I say that RWBY has its flaws but is still interesting and enjoyable, I can't help but feel a sort of slight discomfort in wondering how much of that was formed not as a reaction to the show itself but as a reaction to people's putting me on the spot to be critical of the show.

Closely related to this is how I'm kinda irritated how I can't get the notion of "people generally think that Guilty Crown sucks" while I'm watching Guilty Crown (which I have been doing, in spurts, lately), so I can't even tell how genuine/unbiased my own reactions/opinions of the show are.
  • iunno about strong opinions I just thought the whole thing was uncannily like a jrpg cutscene
  • edited 2015-11-20 17:00:45
    i haven't played enough JRPGs that have CG FMV cutscenes to have felt that way