Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited 2017-09-04 16:38:34
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I actually remembered Stuckmann is kind of like that for me he just covers stuff I outright don't care about a lot. Oops.

Also Arkada, sort of.
  • edited 2017-09-04 17:10:37
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Googles

Same. >_>
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So, LGR was mentioned earlier, and...

I want to be Kai Krause when I grow up.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I want more LGRs.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Saaaaaaaaaame.

• edited 2017-09-04 19:47:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He's good.

...thinking about last night's discussion, I'm kind of vexed with how the Internet exposes every stupid, crappy decision people whose work I like have made. Because there's this disconnect between how when you personally know somebody you can talk things over and maybe understand things better, and if it's a celebrity or someone shrouded in mystery it's far away and more easily separated from their work itself, but being an internet video person it's in this uncanny valley of personality where it's close enough to feel like you have a direct connection but far enough away to be frustrating and a bit foreign. The illusion of intimacy becomes uncomfortable. You can feel personally insulted or betrayed by bad behaviour, but unlike with people you actually know, recourse is limited and often mediated.
    I cannot really relate to the illusion of sympathy for internet critics, but I can for some folks like NL to a limited degree. I dunno, it's complicated to talk about for the reasons you mentioned and others. My sympathies, at any rate.
    I'm including folks like Northernlion and RockLeeSmile under that umbrella. But they're arguably slightly more approachable? I dunno.
    Yeah, I read you as doing that, I was more trying to narrow it down to my own arena of what I could remotely chalk up to being like that for me. Guess I didn't phrase it effectively enough. I would call the NLSS gang more approachable for sure, like I was able to casually tell Nick about Kemono Friends and then there's Jane who's on fairly positive terms with NL. It's weird, fascinatin' stuff.
    Internet celebrity is extremely weird, because it really is the ultimate realisation of everyone being either famous for fifteen minutes or to fifteen people and all that entails, for better or worse.
  • What did I miss?
    I PM'd you.
  • edited 2017-09-14 15:40:19
    fight. dream. horse. love.

in which Taylor Swift makes Todd release his best video in 2 years, at least

New AVGN

Not exactly criticism so much as playthrough with discussion of plot and mechanics but I wanted Odradek to know that this game is so, so my thing already, my god.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My only disappointment is they are not doing the English voicetrack
    Alex states upfront that he has heard really good things about the dub and agrees that subtitles are distracting but he wanted to stick as closely to what Yoko Taro intended as possible by sticking with the Japanese cast, particularly given how aggressively Japanese certain aspects of the game are. Which is understandable. Either way, god, this game is so intensely me it hurts.

And mind you, while I am not especially gynephilic and don't care for fanservice myself, I won't front: 2B's design is actually gorgeous, as are pretty much all the costumes and character designs. And the fact that the absurd "self-destruct" feature apparently carries through to the second playthrough and beyond fills me with glee at the equal-opportunity ogling.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I love Jenny Nicholson so much
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I love Jenny Nicholson so much
    this book seems really really bad
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Jenny is really cute, and so are her Porgs
    I was about to post that! D:<
  • maybe the funniest episode of OHW in a long time?
    It's a good one.
    Also!

• edited 2017-10-07 04:34:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So, Anthony Fantano gave his response to the Fader article. I still have bones to pick with him but he puts a lot of it into perspective and defends himself really well overall, but I think you can see that for yourselves:

(Incidentally, I do think some of the counterpoints to very specific accusations are weak—TJ Kincaid may not be a Nazi but he is a scumbag—but many of the strongest criticisms of his conduct and friends on a factual basis within the article were simply short asides where a lot of time was spent on stuff which is far less alarming in context.)
    Also...

HEY YOU GUYS.
    YAY!!
    Congrats!
  • The new NC review has a 'triggered' joke

That's it. We're done. This timeline's ruined. Somebody travel back to the 1800s and shoot whoever looks important and see if it turns out better.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Nostalgia Critic
  • where on Earth is the image talking about how the dark enlightenment is sending the Terminator back in time to kill Hölderlin

Todd started a new series
  • I watched that.

I think the idea of the series is interesting but hopefully the future episodes are less informed by a linear "is this good or bad" sort of approach. Granted, this *is* Todd we're talking about, so that's probably too much to ask.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I knew about "Intuition", but I'd never actually seen the video, and golly that was painful to see.
    oh goodness, this looks fun. gonna have to watch that when I get some free time.
    That was a good Halloween episode.
  • I really liked this episode and also this song goes.
  • edited 2017-11-01 05:09:05

oh man, another ep that steps into my territory

I trust that it's a good one
  • edited 2017-12-22 16:24:29
    probably-innacurate prediction of Todd's best of list this year:

Redbone
    That’s What I Like
    I Feel It Coming
    New Rules (assuming it actually hits #20)
    Feel It Still Bad Liar
    Thunder
    Million Reasons
    Despacito
    Sorry Not Sorry
    Praying
    Mi Gente

The winner of the "song Todd likes that didn't chart high enough for the real list" award will be Hard Times or Cut To The Feeling.
  • edited 2017-11-08 17:54:06
    This year I haven't listened to pop radio much at all and I haven't heard much at all that would even qualify as good, let alone enough to qualify for a "best of" list. Which is why I don't listen to pop radio much, but *that's* why I wouldn't be able to find any good pop music from this year, and *that's* why I haven't listened to much pop radio this year, which is why I haven't been able to find any good pop music from this year and do you see my problem
  • It's not just you. Top 40-wise, 2017 is a great year for hip hop and a bad year for every other genre.