I hate not being able to deal directly with the people who make inane rules

I know the TA proctoring the exam isn't the one who decided that all calculator covers needed to be put away, so I won't hassle her about it...but it's still incredibly stupid and it still makes me angry.

The higher-up faculty can just do this sort of blatant power tripping and there's nothing we can do about it. They can give us a hard time just because, but we can't return the favor.

Comments

• This is a thread about calculator covers
  • maybe someone wrote some notes on a calculator cover once or something, idk
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I know the TA proctoring the exam isn't the one who decided that all calculator covers needed to be put away, so I won't hassle her about it...but it's still incredibly stupid and it still makes me angry.

The higher-up faculty can just do this sort of blatant power tripping and there's nothing we can do about it. They can give us a hard time just because, but we can't return the favor.

trust me, students give faculty a hard time just because all the time
    as for calculator covers, all i can come up with is you might have a formula sheet on 'em
    tbh if you need a calculator on your exam you done fucked up already imho but that might be my math bias showing
  • Most calculator covers have formulas on them, and can be used for cheating purposes. It's the same as having see through pencils cases. All exam boards do it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember when calculators didn't even come with those sliding covers...you got a pleather "wallet" if anything.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What doesn't make sense to me is...if you're already having the proctor check each student's calculator to make sure they've taken off the cover, why not just have them check that nothing's written on the cover?
  • I always lose those things so if I were still in college this would be a non-issue for me.
  • Saves time. We were checked before we went into the exam hall. It was so much quicker and easier to see that we didn't have our calculator cases than to go through every single case to check that there is no writing.

Why would you even need it in the first place anyway? The calculator case would be off if you were using it, so you wouldn't even need it anyway. Best to just leave it behind and save hassle.

Of course, I have my own exam room where I'm my invigilated, because they trust me not to cheat, but if they didn't trust me, they would ask me to leave my bags out and remove my calculator case.
  • True story, my exams last year were in a small room mainly used for psychology tests, and I had my bags with everything in it and my suitcase with me. They trusted me enough to not cheat. Which I didn't. Cheaters are wimps.
  • edited 2015-11-17 15:15:27
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm autistic. Being forced to separate the calculator from its cover unsettles me on a visceral level and distracts me from the work at hand.

Is that my fault?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

trust me, students give faculty a hard time just because all the time
    Perhaps I'll feel differently once I'm a TA then -_-
    Calica said:

tbh if you need a calculator on your exam you done fucked up already imho but that might be my math bias showing

We're engineers, man. As long as we understand the concepts and how to apply them, we're content to let machines do all the number crunching. :P
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I'm autistic. Being forced to separate the calculator from its cover unsettles me on a visceral level and distracts me from the work at hand.

Is that my fault?

no, and that is unfortunate

i don't really see this rule as unreasonable, though, and i don't think most people would have a problem with it?

not sure what to suggest really
  • I'm autistic. Being forced to separate the calculator from its cover unsettles me on a visceral level and distracts me from the work at hand.

Is that my fault?

I'm autistic too, and it bothered me. But I just had to get used to it.

I dunno, like...Maybe if this was a common thing, I'd just get over it, but this is the only class I've taken in 6 years of college that has this rule.

It seems like the professor who laid out the exam policies for the undergrad chemistry courses is extremely distrustful of his students to a degree I haven't encountered before, and, well...I feel kinda insulted by that.

Does that make sense?
  • Yes.

Some people are just paranoid by nature, though.