I can't write emotionally mature things

Like how I don't want to write sad things.

In my version of 101 Dalmatians: The Series, I brought back Rebecca, a one-off character from the original run who was a temporary love interest for Lucky until magic made him forget she existed. I also gave her telepathic powers because I needed more superpowered characters. Also Cadpig is going to outlive her friends by a wide margin (everyone who's not Polydamas, Mwm, and Hammer Barbara anyway), but I rarely touch on this.

I'm worried that this shows a lack of maturity on my part.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    (well I made her a telepath because I needed some reason for her to come back other than "I hated how she was written out")
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So?
    Wouldn't it be deeper if Lucky and Rebecca never met again? Wouldn't it be deeper if I wrote about Cadpig crying for Lucky, and Spot, and Pongo and Perdita (Lucky's biological parents and her adoptive ones), and Priscilla (her biological mother)?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Those things don't mean anything to me, because I don't know what they are.

Also, no. Offhand, no. If you have to ask the question "wouldn't it be deeper," the answer is always no.
  • edited 2015-11-06 08:26:33
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Cadpig is half-demon and thus will live to be about 500 years old, much longer than any non-supernatural. The success of Roger's song "Cruella De Vil" back in 1961 arrested everyone's aging processes, so until Cruella dies, nobody's going to age, and thus, they're not going to die of anything but disease or injury. Which they don't, except Cruella.
    Cadpig can't get sick, and can only die of old age or injury. Very, very severe injury at that.
    A better term than "deep" is "ambitious."

Is it ambitious?
    Not really? But I worry that general avoidance of serious angst and situations that create it is immature somehow, and makes characters appear underdeveloped.
  • nah

if anything, the "angst = mature" mentality is itself kinda immature. There's more to life than being sad and no particular work is obligated to demonstrate all facets of its characters' lives.
    Well, that's one thing.

I also tend to feel weird that I have inflicted little angst on the leads of Cirque du Yogi. All I have is that Doggie Daddy suffered a knee injury in a college basketball game that ended his pro hopes, and he is a widower. But maybe those characters aren't built for angst.
    Anonus said:

But maybe those characters aren't built for angst.

In Red Barons, Susan and her mother Sarah are the most impoverished of all the main characters, and Sarah attempts to compensate for this by making Susan look "pretty". But Susan thinks herself to be naturally beautiful, and none of her friends judge her for her lower socioeconomic status.

I haven't defined the social strata yet, but still.
    (Red Barons takes place in New England 295 years after humanity's extinction and centers on a society run by the animals humans used to farm for meat)
  • Writing angst is a delicate act. You can't just slap some sad stuff into a story can say that it is "deep and mature". It all depends on the personality of the character and the situation they find themselves in.

https://m.fictionpress.com/s/2921454/6/A-Writer-s-Guide-to-Writing