Deckard was a replicant

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I find the idea oddly irrelevant either way.
  • edited 2015-11-05 03:15:28
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "The movie only makes sense if Deckard is a human. If he isn't a human, then the audience just can't sympathize with him."
  • edited 2015-11-05 03:24:00
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Now I'm thinking of Harrison Ford's "I thought the audience deserved one human being on screen that they could establish an emotional relationship with." and wondering why it was so important to him that Deckard be human.
    I could never understand why the audience needs someone to sympathize with, frankly.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i tend to find main or viewpoint characters in mainstream TV and film difficult to identify with, and usually kind of samey

this doesn't generally make the film/show inaccessible to me
  • kill living beings
    MetaFour said:

"The movie only makes sense if Deckard is a human. If he isn't a human, then the audience just can't sympathize with him."

loooool
  • kill living beings
    i mean i don't know w hat the implications are really

i liked the book a lot more than the movie, and in the book it would make perfect sense thematically

for... partly spoilery reasons?

i'm thinking of the other PI
    like, I remember seeing a comment about this once, "if Deckard is a replicant then the audience has no one to root for." Like...you go to a movie to root for someone? Like it's a sportsball game or something? I sure don't.

Besides, sure, it's entirely possible to sympathize with non-humans.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Wait, it would make more sense thematically if Deckard was really an android in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • kill living beings
    i think it would. it would change the theme but it wouldn't be incoherent i mean
  • kill living beings
    i may have underthought this

like, I remember seeing a comment about this once, "if Deckard is a replicant then the audience has no one to root for." Like...you go to a movie to root for someone? Like it's a sportsball game or something? I sure don't.

Besides, sure, it's entirely possible to sympathize with non-humans.

i'm reminded of when game of thrones fans refer to themselves as fans of particular factions, like 'i support the Lannisters' or whatever, like it's a sport

doesn't make any sense to me, from what i can tell the characters within those factions don't always even have the same objectives and more than half of them are probably horrible people anyway
    that's off topic, i was just reminded of it
  • you have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube!
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    The narration cut of Blade Runner sucks btw
  • i have not read the book but i think in the film it's more difficult to argue that deckard isn't a replicant
  • edited 2015-11-05 17:52:26
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    My grandpa Gene was a sound guy for the movies, he worked on Blade Runner.

So, of course I'm gonna say that the version where his work wasn't taped over with a voiceover is better.

-unbiasedliroz-
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

My grandpa Gene was a sound guy for the movies, he worked on Blade Runner.

So, of course I'm gonna say that the version where his work wasn't taped over with a voiceover is better.

-unbiasedliroz-
    Wow, that's pretty cool.
  • edited 2015-11-05 17:57:44
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

1:47 Eugene Byron Ashbrook.
  • kill living beings
    now I know of multiple Mormons who did background work for big movies. coincidence?? probably
    Dark City is also a movie where you should only watched the Director's Cut.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    The soundtrack to Blade Runner is awesome and I can't believe it took so long to get the actual music from the movie out on a non-bootleg album
    final cut is best cut
    Boom Man!
    a robot master in Mega Man XYZ29
  • Aliroz said:

1:47 Eugene Byron Ashbrook.
    Very, very cool.

Also, your grandpa did work on The Crow. I think I finally figured out why you like The Crow.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Well, The Crow isn't a bad movie
    Aliroz's grandpa was a sound guy on The Crow.

The Crow starred Brandon Lee, son of famed martial artist and actor, Bruce Lee.

My mom once went on a date with Robert Lee, brother of Bruce Lee.

That is our 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon-esque connection.
    nice
    it's a small world after all
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    @The Nameless Samurai:  Yes, exactly!

That's utterly fantastic.
  • Corvina said:

Well, The Crow isn't a bad movie

I agree. It's just that Aliroz once posted a list of movie he liked and I was surprised by the inclusion of The Crow given I didn't think it's subject matter would appeal to Aliroz. Aliroz said that all of these movies have one thing in common (at least I think he said that, I couldn't find the conversation in question) and I'm pretty sure Aliroz's Grandpa was the common factor in the list (again, I can't check because I can't find the conversation in question if it happened).
    enough, shoot him already
  • Aliroz's grandpa was a sound guy on The Crow.

The Crow starred Brandon Lee, son of famed martial artist and actor, Bruce Lee.

My mom once went on a date with Robert Lee, brother of Bruce Lee.

That is our 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon-esque connection.
    Also, this is super cool.