Fox stations are the strip malls of television

It's true. And not even somewhat aged old strip malls. Like brand new ones you're supposed to love despite their lack of earthiness.

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Brand-new strip malls that are half-empty because the management keeps kicking out stores that aren't doing Wal-Mart or Target business (even if they're just normal storefronts).
    that's more the network itself, but still
  • edited 2015-11-05 01:23:03
    kill living beings
    does anyone like strip malls? I'm confused

like a particular mall
  • Walnut Plaza is a strip mall that's sorta near where I live and the only place for like 20 miles in any direction where you can sorta buy groceries so I'm pretty happy that it's there.
  • brand new strip malls are bland and generic

fox is not bland and generic; it is actively bad
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, Fox News is. There are local news stations under the Fox header that don't suck at all.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm thinking about how they run those godawful cheap courtroom shows all day
  • kill living beings

Walnut Plaza is a strip mall that's sorta near where I live and the only place for like 20 miles in any direction where you can sorta buy groceries so I'm pretty happy that it's there.

i mean you're like hey good a store, you're not like damn, i LOVE the paneling
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

brand new strip malls are bland and generic

local fox stations are bland and generic.  it's their cable offerings that are actively bad
    what would be the fox news of urban planning
    Calica said:

brand new strip malls are bland and generic

local fox stations are bland and generic.  it's their cable offerings that are actively bad
    God, it was utter hell when FX reran King of the Hill

I loathed FX's animated in-program ads WITH SOUND EFFECTS
    Thank god Adult Swim took it away from them
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

what would be the fox news of urban planning

that police station in a village of 200 people that has like 6 police cruisers and constantly tickets anyone speeding in their village where the speed limit on the highway drops from 55 to 25
    true
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You can tell I'm from Ohio because small towns are "villages" to me
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . 200 people would be a heck of a small "town"
    The way it works in Ohio:

< 5000 residents = "village"

≥ 5000 residents = "city"

This means we have some comically small "cities", because "town" has no legal meaning here
    ah

over here "village" implies it's not really big enough to be a town and "city" is a legal term that usually implies it has a cathedral
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Most importantly: What is the Citizen Kane of Fox News?
    meaning there's no necessary difference in scale between a city and a town, though of course cities tend to be larger because the larger the town the greater the likelihood of there being a cathedral
    Village has a less clearly defined meaning here, but it is generally an inherited term of sorts, like Cheltenham Village which I lived very close to.
    and for extra fun, it works differently in every state. 

in Virginia, for example, a town can have its own government,but is still part of the county surrounding it; a city is totally independent and essentially functions as a county in all but name.
    i also live close to Cheltenham (Town)
  • village in my mind implies like

shacks
    "Village" brings to mind images of 19th-century buildings for me, but that's because most municipalities small enough to get that designations are old railroad towns and such that were built many years ago.

Occasionally you get suburbs full of modern housing developments that are "villages" but not as often.

This is the kind of scenery that comes to mind for me when you say 'village'.

This is what comes to mind for me
  • "Village" brings to mind images of 19th-century buildings for me, but that's because most municipalities small enough to get that designations are old railroad towns and such that were built many years ago.

Occasionally you get suburbs full of modern housing developments that are "villages" but not as often.
    I think there is a notorious senior living community in Florida called "The Villages" which is best know for being master-planned to hell and back and being horribly, horribly conservative
    tbf what i posted is a deliberately picturesque photo

i live in a "village" and it doesn't look like that, at least not around our way because it's mostly housing estate
    Tachyon said:

This is the kind of scenery that comes to mind for me when you say 'village'.

Same.

The Village doesn't really look like that, but it's been 350-plus years.
  • edited 2015-11-05 02:28:36
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Village.

(yes it was the first village that came into my head)
  • kill living beings
    i think of the "bring out your dead" scene, but with the village people singing YMCA