Twitter "favorites" are now "likes"

Why?

Just to mimic Facebook?
Tagged:

Comments

• kill living beings
    The heart, in contrast, is a universal symbol that resonates across languages, cultures, and time zones. The heart is more expressive, enabling you to convey a range of emotions and easily connect with people. And in our tests, we found that people loved it.
  • kill living beings
    so, yes, Twitter management is full of idiots who couldn't read their way out of Boaz, who are probably mimicking Facebook.
  • tbf i always thought that favourites sounded like a bookmarking mchanism when ppl just use them the same way as a like on fb anyway so i am Okay with this change
  • edited 2015-11-03 20:53:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Ja, although Favourites does sound more bookmark-y.

Also: Tumblr.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    One thing I do like about the change is that the heart animation looks like a tiny Sonic Rainboom, because yes, part of me is still PONY trash.
  • kill living beings
    I use the Twitter whatevers for bookmarking

I follow a guy who follows a bunch of jihadists for research and he wasn't excited about liking them
  • I like the cute new animation and think that it's a completely acceptable change.

Better than when they introduced "while you were away" at any rate.
  • edited 2015-11-03 21:29:39
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't care. They're the same thing to me, since I predominantly use it for remembering stuff.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't really care one way or the other, but it's one of those things that just makes me think "why even bother?"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Like someone had to be like "let's change the name and icon for this function without actually changing its functionality in any way" and then their subordinates actually had to do that
  • edited 2015-11-04 02:09:19
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    One thing that Facebook doesn't have that Twitter does is the retweet button. Sure, Facebook has "share" and Tumblr has "reblog", but they're heavyweight operations compared to retweeting, and Facebook in particular made it more difficult to share things (as opposed to simply liking or commenting) for a long time. 

As long as Twitter doesn't do a lot of the dumb stuff Facebook does (in particular, assuming that like = interested in following), it should be OK.
  • > reblogs
    > heavyweight option

If one uses the old-fashioned way, perhaps, but using the alt-reblog shortcut turns it into an operation that requires no second thoughts. It's kind of a power user feature, I guess, but at the same time it's simple enough that I'm sure almost anyone on the service can adopt it if they wanna.

Unless they really hate using their keyboards, but then, why even join Tumblr?
  • (I do get your point, though, and I'm not dismissing it. Just relaying personal experiences.)
    I mostly use Tumblr from my phone, so I didn't know about the shortcut key.
  • (you can do it on mobile too by holding down the reblog button for 5 seconds or so)
    oh ok
    A Good Cartoon.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Isn't flagging tweets done through the "favorite" system...?
  • Nah. On mobile at least, there's a "..." button that handles anything not covered by the Like/Reply/Retweet buttons, including flagging tweets and blocking/muting users.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I like salmon. I do not favourite salmon. Tweets are salmon, not garlic bread.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    lee4hmz said:

One thing I do like about the change is that the heart animation looks like a tiny Sonic Rainboom, because yes, part of me is still PONY trash.

Now it's got confetti shooting out of it! Pinkie Pie