Why Exdeath is an effective villain

edited 2015-10-31 22:50:24 in General
So Exdeath is the villain of Final Fantasy V.

He's this dangerous nasty fellow who goes around with a menacing theme song.

So, he's like, standard fare RPG villain, or something, whatever, moving on.

So, then you finally meet him in battle.

And he actually kicks your ass horribly.

Yep, he lives up to his theme music.

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ...Except that plenty of villains defeat you in cutscenes? That really doesn't make him different to any other villain.
  • edited 2015-10-31 23:31:49
    Glenn the real reason he is effective is that he is a tree and he is a ham. :v

Trufax
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Wasn't there an enemy in BSUAJG called Neo Exdeath?
  • edited 2015-10-31 23:45:51

...Except that plenty of villains defeat you in cutscenes? That really doesn't make him different to any other villain.

I wasn't comparing him to other villains, and also he doesn't just defeat you in a cutscene.  He actually demonstrates his power in battle.

So he is both manipulative AND personally powerful.
  • edited 2015-10-31 23:49:04
    Not really in terms of battle? Exdeath is moderately somewhat difficult in game for the first game. But 2nd fight?

Lol Dual Wield Rapid Fire Spell blade. Hell you can even skip his Neo form.

RIP Galuf for beating him at 0 HP.
  • edited 2015-10-31 23:50:30
    That said. I do like Exdeath since I find him entertaining to watch. But we all know the real star of V was Gilgamesh. :v
  • edited 2015-10-31 23:56:22
    Nah, Gilgamesh was a sideshow.

Exdeath, on the other hand, was far more intimidating than the somewhat-random and similar-looking Golbez.
  • edited 2015-11-01 00:02:47
    Tell that to his multiple cameos across the FF series. And leaving more of an impression as well. :v
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    As far as villainous achievements go, "Barely beat a geriatric man in one on one combat" isn't really up there.
  • Wouldn't call that barely, if he basically runs over Galuf's HP pool in the opening round.

Also, perhaps Exdeath seems less difficult to those of you who're used to actually playing with the character setups and making all sorts of interesting synergies.

I didn't; I just used whatever classes I had at the moment, kinda arbitrarily chosen.  That made him pretty tough.

And it worked out better that way.
  • edited 2015-11-01 00:25:34
    Fight him with 4 Berserker for the ultimate challenge. I dare you.

Scratch that, I can't stand using Berserker myself. :/
  • I'm pretty sure 4 Berserker doesn't count as a challenge of anything but one's patience with incessant grinding.
  • Isn't Ocean Palace Lavos the one that's technically possible to beat
  • Acererak said:

Isn't Ocean Palace Lavos the one that's technically possible to beat

They're all possible to beat.

Ocean Palace Lavos is just far more OP than it should be though.  30,000 HP and an excessively-OP destruction rain attack.