A short review of Freedom Planet

edited 2015-10-31 17:00:24 in General
Beautiful visual design
Passionate music
Fun yet challenging gameplay with intuitive controls and clear interactable elements
Memorable and immersive moments
Story is a little choppy at times but it'll do

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's a surprisingly big game, with lots of things to discover

it looks fantastic

the voice acting is cheesy af but the sincerity is enjoyable

basically it's like a very good Sonic game
  • It's better than a Sonic game, because combat and health points work better.

The story's presentation takes on the style of a saturday morning cartoon.  Which isn't a bad thing actually.  But for reasons unrelated to its tone, it takes on a bit of a disjointed tone at times.  Alternatively, it's rather clear that other stuff happens while your player-character isn't looking.
  • edited 2015-10-31 17:53:59
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

It's better than a Sonic game, because combat and health points work better.

that's a bold assertion, but i think you're right
  • I enjoyed the Sonic games, but I always felt that combat was a bit wonky in it and the mechanic of losing all rings upon getting hit just didn't feel very elegant.

Freedom Planet replaced the rings with gems and a health bar which became unrelated.  Gems are now an optional collectible with 200 for an extra life but otherwise completely optional and just for explorers, while a health bar makes it clearer how many hits one can take -- and incidentally also helps differentiate the playable characters.
  • Brevon is a pretty genre-savvy villain.