Should I get back into MLP:FIM?

It's no longer 2011. (The) Hub (Network) is dead. Twilight has wings now. My appetite for the show had been lessening by the time she got them anyway.

But should I get back into MLP:FIM?
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm more of a casual viewer right now, but Season Five has been pretty solid.
  • Depends on if you were a fan of the whole "friendship lessons and letters to princess sunbutt" or are a fan of the "slice of life with ponies!" route the show has taken.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    are there fewer dumb cliché plots? because season 2 had too many of those for me >_>
  • They had an episode dedicated to all of the background characters from all the previous seasons, with a lot of fandom nods.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i thought season 2 was better than season 3, at least . . .
    S3 was overwhelmingly mediocre but was noticeably lacking in outright stupid episodes
    iirc s2 had some bad plotting like the mmdw and the cider economics, but was entertaining enough that i could overlook those

s3 was never downright horrible but i just kinda lost interest
    Cider Squeezy is the kind of episode that really didn't need to take up a whole half-hour
    mostly i just remember the song being fun as heck
    Similarly, why did "Just For Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play" have to be separate episodes?
    i can't even remember which ones those were
    oh, i liked JFS because it had Spike and somewhat redeemed Angel, i think

aside from that nothing really happened

and i don't think i ever got around to watching GPP
    They were two sides of the same story.
    i remember the crystal ponies, alicorn twilight and the human ponies felt very blatantly only-there-to-sell-toys in a way that the earlier stuff didn't

like it was all there to sell toys from a business standpoint, but before the crystal ponies stuff i got the impression the people doing the writing were making it a priority to make the show hold up on its own
    also i seem to remember the funniest moments were from s2 and s3, but the show felt most consistently decent during s1
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I liked season 1 because it consistently exceeded my expectations of what a Flash-animated toy-based cartoon would be like.

Season 2 was pretty good, more or less living up to the standard set by season 1.

Season 3...eh. It had some fun moments but I couldn't help but feel like, at that point, the "toy commercial" aspect got a lot more blatant in a way that interfered with my enjoyment of the show. The Crystal Ponies, alicorn Twilight, etc.

I didn't get more than a few episodes into season 4 but it did seem like an improvement over 3 in that regard.

Also, I need to watch the Equestria Girls movies because Buttershannon and her sister like them.
  • edited 2015-10-29 13:45:15
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll continue to defend S4 and S5, no matter how much that defense may fall on deaf ears.

I also liked the first EQG movie for much the same reason CA liked S1 of MLP. I found the second EQG movie more enjoyable on its own terms, which I suspect is partially because the villains of that film are basically the Hex Girls with the serial numbers filed off. I haven't watched the third EQG movie yet, but probably will eventually.
    they stole my mystical girl band
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Not only did the season 5 opener avert the "Twilight saves the day while all her friends are useless" device that too many other two-parters fell prey to, but it involved four random background ponies saving the day because the mane six inspired them.

In fact, the mane six teaching/inspiring other ponies about Friendship was an ongoing theme of season 4. Season 5 is expanding on that, with the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting in on the act, while the mane six are now teaching/inspiring entire communities.

Pony "Harrison Bergeron" happened. 

Remember how Twilight blew off Moondancer's birthday party in the very first episode? Twi finally apologized for that, and it was glorious.

When Rainbow Dash goes through the Five Stages of Grief, her version of "bargaining" involves turning into The Grinch.

Not only can Rarity be a hard-boiled private detective and a femme fatale, but she can be both at the same time.

Sorry, fanfic writers, but Applejack's hat is not some kind of precious family heirloom.

Princess Luna's guilt complex over becoming Nightmare Moon is even worse than anyone suspected.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders finally figure out that getting their cutie marks just might not be the solution to every single problem, ever. Also, apparently it's possible for a pony to not know what their cutie mark means, and to screw their life up until they figure it out.

The show came this close to saying that Lyra and Bon Bon are lesbian lovers.

It's undisputedly 100% canon now that the previous four seasons took place in just a bit over a year. No matter how little sense that timeline makes.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OpAPHID said:

[Insert Buffy joke here.]
    So Rarity joins Spot as one of my favorite private investigators? COOL
    0vvvv0 said:

OpAPHID said:

[Insert Buffy joke here.]
    . . . i can't believe i didn't spot that when writing that post
  • S4 and S5 have been really, really good.  

I think the cheap marketing feel of S3's alicorn finale was mostly just how rushed it was and how little they built up to it.  S4 took the ball and ran with it in a very satisfying way.

S5 might be the strongest they've had, honestly.  Rarity Seduces Everypony Investigates might be my favorite episode of the series.
    i am tempted to go back to this show, but there's so much else i haven't caught up with
  • That would be the difficult part, I think.  Weird time compression aside, S4/5 have been hitting continuity really hard, to the point that a throwaway line in the first episode turned into something very poignant four seasons later.
    when i said so much else i meant there are other things i want to watch more

but yes, if i were going to get back into MLP i'd want to watch it through, not skip stuff