Why do people like Apple's emoji?

They're shitugly

Comments

• anonus you need to cultivate a greater appreciation for the ugly in general imo

that said I don't like them either
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i do?
  • Ugly, maybe, but they were the first implementation of the system to hit the mainstream, they're the most comprehensive set of icons for the standard and (most notably) it's Apple's interpretation of it, which in and of itself gives some a reason to blindly prefer it.

With all this in mind: I like Google and HTC's interpretations better, in that order.
  • edited 2015-10-29 04:38:34
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually really like HTC's emoji, I just wish they were more complete (I'm using a One M7 and some things just don't work).
  • Why do people like emoji that aren't standard ASCII characters, period?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Why do people like emoji that aren't standard ASCII characters, period?

because standard ascii characters are lame and boring and unicode owns and more freedom in symbol selection owns
  • Calica said:

Why do people like emoji that aren't standard ASCII characters, period?

because standard ascii characters are lame and boring and unicode owns and more freedom in symbol selection owns
    Okay, fine, why do people like emoji that aren't Unicode or standard ASCII?
    yet more freedom in symbol selection
    also emoji are all unicode now, dude
  • Calica said:

also emoji are all unicode now, dude

even the ones that are pictures unique to specific platforms?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Having platform unique encoding would be incredibly pointless.
  • kill living beings
    yeah it's like fonts bruh

even all that weird shit with skin color altering subcharacters is standard
  • we need emoji support on the forums so I can :oni: at all times
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I've never been a fan of emoji, in all honesty. 

we need emoji support on the forums so I can :oni: at all times

just copy/paste the correct character from some emoji site and you're good to go

...or not.  weeeeeird
  • ...emoji codes are not emoji themselves

the emoji codes themselves are worthless, but the emoji images they code for are generally tacky and ugly

better to stick with emoticons
  • edited 2015-10-29 09:04:00
    the worst services/platforms/sites about this are the ones that actively replace emoticons with emoji images. ugh.

often times they're not even accurate. i want a genuine and enthused ppen mouth smile and so I type :D and then the service turns it into a cheesy, teethy grin. what the hell, service

just let me stick to doing everything in plaintext so i retain control of what i input and don't have to deal with non-wysiwyg situations please is it really that hard
  • edited 2015-10-29 09:10:19
    duplicate post, please ignore wait i can use this for something

plaintext is the same on any platform, any service, any site, and if it's simple enough, any device (provided you're using some reasonably standard font)

you can copy/paste across different mediums

you don't need fancy mouse or touchscree input (for those cases that use these)

you don't depend on extra images loading correctly or use bandwidth for anything other than text

plaintext is the most versatile and resilient and adaptible of all the formats, that's why it is the best
  • also, entire world should learn to irc already
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

the worst services/platforms/sites about this are the ones that actively replace emoticons with emoji images. ugh.

often times they're not even accurate. i want a genuine and enthused ppen mouth smile and so I type :D and then the service turns it into a cheesy, teethy grin. what the hell, service

strongly agreed
  • edited 2015-10-29 16:35:47
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Like Tre said, Apple was the first to bring emoji to the mainstream in America, so for a lot of people they were their first exposure to emoji.

Also, I gotta give Apple credit for trying to keep up with the changing standards...they seem to be the first mainstream operating system to support the silly skin color modifiers and whatnot.

@GMH: what you're missing is that emoji are plain text. They're standard Unicode characters that are rendered as color graphics using a special font installed locally on your phone. That's why, if you have a rooted Android device, for example, you can change what emoji you see. You're just swapping out the font file.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    alright but websites that turn text emoticons into image embeds are still annoying as
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tengu emoji
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OpAPHID said:

strongly agreed

Same.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    For whatever reason, Vanilla strips anything that's not in the Basic Multilingual Plane (U+000000 to U+00FFFF). I haven't really looked into how to fix this yet.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Which is a shame, because Twitter's emoji are open-source and they'd look really pretty here.
  • lee4hmz said:

For whatever reason, Vanilla strips anything that's not in the Basic Multilingual Plane (U+000000 to U+00FFFF). I haven't really looked into how to fix this yet.

if you could I would be deeply grateful

and also :oni: at all times
    I am pretty OK with just sticking to straight text emoticons, but do as you will.
  • but u don't understand Sredni I NEED to be :oni:
  • edited 2015-10-30 02:49:25
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Sorry, but the one true emoji is image
    Nasubi is best oni.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
    You should watch Hōzuki no Reitetsu. It is really, really funny.

And Nasubi really is adorable. And weird.

I mean, the pants dance.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know how I said Apple is usually the first to update their emoji set to cover new additions to the standard?

• But do they have a Unicron? I'd imagine making an emoji out of a planet-eating robot would be kind of difficult.