why do people keep getting the Fox network and Fox News confused

edited 2015-10-29 01:33:04 in General
see title

Comments

• kill living beings
    because they are both called Fox
  • because they have the same name, very similar logos, and one is owned by the other

basically, they are one and the same
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    rayman said:

because they are both called Fox

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    :3 said:

because they have the same name, very similar logos, and one is owned by the other

It's still tiresome that any mention of any Fox-connected entity immediately brings out the dumbass conservatives
  • this is the fate they deserve imho
    Also, no local Fox station with a news department and a logo that looks like this avoids being mistaken for the Fox News Channel

this is the fate they deserve imho

I want to be able to talk about the Fox network without dealing with dumbass conservatives
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

because they have the same name, very similar logos, and one is owned by the other

It's still tiresome that any mention of any Fox-connected entity immediately brings out the dumbass conservatives
    Well Fox is kinda owned by, yannow, a staunchly opinionated conservative.
    Yes, but Fox and Fox News still have pretty different identities
    The Fox network has always had an image of being iconoclastic and rebellious, whereas FNC does not
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Please don't get into the corporate identity stuff. Please.
  • kill living beings
    yeah dog "iconoclastic" and "multimillion" are not in the same mental universes
  • rayman said:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This has always kinda bothered me in that a lot of Fox-affiliated stations are owned by companies other than, you know, Fox...so it's frustrating that people are eager to look at any Fox-branded newscast as though it will have a staunchly conservative bias when a lot of Fox station's newscasts are actually decent.

Also: I'm autistic.

This has always kinda bothered me in that a lot of Fox-affiliated stations are owned by companies other than, you know, Fox...so it's frustrating that people are eager to look at any Fox-branded newscast as though it will have a staunchly conservative bias when a lot of Fox station's newscasts are actually decent.

That is actually completely fair, and while factual, the addendum was not necessary here.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    0vvvv0 said:

That is actually completely fair, and while factual, the addendum was not necessary here.
    I figured it helps to explain why this relatively inconsequential thing annoys me so much more than it probably should. :P
  • there are plenty of completely neurotypical people who are bothered by insane things

my uncle will go into raving at great length if anyone steps on his lawn for any reason
    0vvvv0 said:

Please don't get into the corporate identity stuff. Please.

Why not? It's relevant here.
    rayman said:

still, though, when Fox came on the scene in the late '80s, it had a lot of shows the Big Three would never ever have touched, and has never forgotten this
    of course it's named for 20th Century Fox, a well-known brand name, but still
    There's a categorical difference between "willing to take risks" and "iconoclastic."

Also, I think you mean Fox Entertainment/21st Century Fox and Fox News, in the title, because just "Fox" is kind of vague.
  • completely neurotypical people

idk it's called a spectrum for a reason right
  • completely neurotypical people

idk it's called a spectrum for a reason right
    I guess that's true.

mostly I will just take any opportunity to talk badly about that man because he's an asshole.
    0vvvv0 said:

There's a categorical difference between "willing to take risks" and "iconoclastic."

Also, I think you mean Fox Entertainment/21st Century Fox and Fox News, in the title, because just "Fox" is kind of vague.
    but they sure are cute!

0vvvv0 said:

No, I mean the Fox Broadcasting Company.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    but Fox could also mean 21st Century Fox, which includes both

that's what comes to mind for me if you say 'Fox', the whole thing
    right, you're British
    well true

0vvvv0 said:

You are being unspeakably pedantic right now. You know what I meant.

0vvvv0 said:

but they sure are cute!

D'awwwww!
    0vvvv0 said:

0vvvv0 said:

You are being unspeakably pedantic right now. You know what I meant.

Not really, they're not at all the same thing.

Or, the one includes the other, but it includes a lot of other things as well. As far as this thread's topic is concerned the distinction is quite relevant.
    I get that the distinction's important but given that he hasn't explained it and any of those could be correct given what he's said, it still seems really pedantic. Like, "I'm going to be vague about a thing and then get pissy when you guess the wrong subset of that thing or use the wrong terminology."
    well yes, if you say 'Fox' without context idk how i'm supposed to know whether you're talking about Fox News or 20th Century Fox or the Fox Broadcasting Company or what have you

but Fox Entertainment/21st Century Fox *is* inclusive of Fox News, so in this context distinguishing between that and the Fox Broadcasting Company does make a difference
    I'm not being vague, at least not anymore. Look at the amended title!
    OK, good.
    i guess people say 'Fox' to mean the Fox Broadcasting Company because that's what it calls itself?
    Yes
    Fox News also calls itself "Fox" a lot which is supremely annoying
    in that case they are both Fox

which is right, for the reasons naney said above, although they are different divisions of it
    Why are there so many people named Michael Fox
  • but what about Micheal A.L. Fox

You know what they say about Michael A.L. Fox

• Tucker said:

but what about Micheal A.L. Fox

You know what they say about Michael A.L. Fox

All toasters toast toast.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

• 0vvvv0 said:

but they sure are cute!

It's staring into your soul, plotting your demise.

Fun fact: I once got into a staring contest with a fox.

• edited 2015-10-29 10:54:56
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no but it works like this

Fox News ≠ Fox Broadcasting Company
    "FOX" = Fox Broadcasting Company ⇒ "FOX" ≠ Fox News
    Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox News ⊂ 21st Century Fox
    Fox News ⊈ Fox Broadcasting Company
    "Fox" = 21st Century Fox ⇒ Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox News ⊂ "Fox"
    "Fox" = 21st Century Fox & "FOX" = Fox Broadcasting Company ⇒ "FOX" ≠ "Fox" & "FOX" ⊂ "Fox"
    "fox" ∈ {{Vulpes}, {Cerdocyon}, {Lycalopex}, {Otocyon}, {Urocyon}} & "Fox" = 21st Century Fox & "FOX" = Fox Broadcasting Company ⇒ "fox" > "Fox", "FOX"
    </dubious math>
  • ...that post is a masterpiece, Tachyon, just so you're aware.

-applause-
    where does XOX (seizure warning) fit into this
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Sredni, I disagree with you about pedantry.  The word, "pedantic" is one used by people who don't give a dang to shut down people who care about things.

There is no unimportant distinction.  Nothing is unimportant. 

There are forgivable instances of unintentional pedantry and there are instances where it is explicitly being used to insult another person's intelligence or undermine their point by suggesting that they don't know what they're talking about when the point they are making is valid but something the pedant dislikes. This was an instance of the former, but let's not pretend that the latter isn't a thing that happens, please.