What is your favorite Fantasia segment

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Rite of Spring

my favourite from Fantasia 2000 is Pines of Rome
  • Never saw the original Fantasia, but I love The Firebird Suite from Fantasia 2000.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Never saw the original Fantasia, but I love The Firebird Suite from Fantasia 2000.

GO SEE IT NOW
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's been so long that I can't say.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I hate to be obvious, but I have to say The Sorcerer's Apprentice. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The one with the dancing mushrooms

The one with the dancing mushrooms

The Nutcracker Suite
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    0vvvv0 said:

• edited 2015-10-29 00:36:40
    I only have a least favorite part, and that's the slow movement of the Pastoral Symphony.  It's good, but just less memorable.

The rest of them are all memorable and awesome.
  • When I was little the nutcracker suite, nowadays it's the night on bald mountain one bc of the contrast they do
    For the first one, my favorite is Sorcerer's Apprentice.

For Fantasia 2000, you are all wrong because Rhapsody In Blue is objectively the best one.
  • Torgo said:

For the first one, my favorite is Sorcerer's Apprentice.

For Fantasia 2000, you are all wrong because The Firebird Suite is objectively the best one.
    Rhapsody in Blue was pretty great, and i almost said it, but then i was like, what image from that film stuck in my mind as the most memorable and great, and i was like, definitely flying whales
  • kill living beings
    I liked the dinosaur shit, as I recall
    night on bald mountain was probably the best part of fantasia actually but when i was a kid it scared me
  • For the original, a tie between The Rite of Spring and Tocatta and Fugue in D minor. For fantasia 2000 definitely the Firebird Suite.
    rayman said:

I liked the dinosaur shit, as I recall

That's Rite of Spring.

Walt Disney was actually expressing coded antinatalist sympathies by using Rite of the Spring for a segment animating the beginning of life.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Night on Bald Mountain
    Fun fact: At one point, there was going to be a segment set to part of Wagner's Ring Cycle that would have drawn from the then-recent children's book The Hobbit
  • Torgo said:

Fun fact: At one point, there was going to be a segment set to part of Wagner's Ring Cycle that would have drawn from the then-recent children's book The Hobbit

Now that I know this, I am infinitely disappointed that that was not included.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tolkien hated Disney, though
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Firebird.
     One review of the film in this manner, written by Dorothy Thompson for The New York Herald Tribune on November 25, 1940, was especially harsh. Thompson claimed that she "left the theater in a condition bordering on nervous breakdown," because the film was a "remarkable nightmare." Thompson went on to compare the film to rampant Nazism, which she described as "the abuse of power" and "the perverted betrayal of the best instincts." Thompson also claimed that the film depicted nature as being "titanic" while man was only "a moving lichen on the stone of time." She concluded that the film was "cruel", "brutal and brutalizing", and a negative "caricature of the Decline of the West". In fact, Thompson claimed that she was so distraught by the film that she even walked out of it before she saw the two last segments, Night on Bald Mountain and Ave Maria, because she did not want to be subject to any more of the film's "brutalization".[126]
  • kill living beings
    awesome
    The sad part is that's more artistic credit than the Oscars gives to animated films.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's actually incredibly complimentary without meaning to be, and it certainly does give far more artistic credit to animated film than the Academy seems to.
    My first reaction was "But man IS a moving lichen on the stone of time"
    I like to believe she came to that conclusion while watching this

fantasia animated GIF
  • edited 2015-10-29 18:36:54
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^me 2
  • kill living beings
    this is somewhat less funny when I look up the person and she was in fact a reporter kicked out of the Reich for her journalism

I mean still a ridiculous comparison but
    rayman said:

this is somewhat less funny when I look up the person and she was in fact a reporter kicked out of the Reich for her journalism

I mean still a ridiculous comparison but

I'm not dismissing it so much as marvelling at it.
  • kill living beings
    I'm definitely marveling
  • 0vvvv0 said:

Same.
  • I can quite confidently say I've never felt that way about anything, ever.