This picture makes me hate

Comments

• edited 2015-10-28 15:42:17
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That is really weird-looking, and not in a good way.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I guess those are supposed to be his elbows but at first it looked to me like he just had massive man-tits falling out of his shirt
  • fuck cant unsee
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Same. o___o

It's like the Foglios cranked past the point of no return.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Rose is Rose

BURN IN HELL
    The premise is cute but damn, the execution is... garish.
    I am fine with cute unfunny things. This is my limit. This is where I draw the line.
    Also those are all just alternate phonetic spellings of words, they don't signify any mispronunciation you dumbass.
    It's overly stylised in this very '90s way I find hard to look at.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Torgo said:

Also those are all just alternate phonetic spellings of words, they don't signify any mispronunciation you dumbass.

i dislike this
    What I said, or the thing I was describing?
    the thing you were describing

i dislike the comic you posted but the more general practice of writing words phonetically when they'd be pronounced the exact same way just to make a character sound cute or ignorant or whatever, that's something that always irritates me
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I utilize eye dialect heavily in my own writing, but not that way
    rayman said:
    Wait, how does Quentin Tarantino do that.

You can't do that in real life.
    The title of the film, not in speech.
    all eye dialect is condescending and annoying, but the worst kind is when the words are pronounced the exact same way
    0vvvv0 said:

The title of the film, not in speech.

i don't see how it's eye dialect since it doesn't seem to relate to dialect?

i thought it was just deliberate misspelling to differentiate it from the older movie with the same title
    Oooooohhhhhh
    I don't think all eye dialect is intrinsically disrespectful or insulting—occasionally dialectal spellings are divergent because their pronunciations are so far from standard—but it usually is at least a little condescending.
  • kill living beings
    my understanding was that "eye dialect" specifically referred to using nonstandard spelling to denote the standard pronunciation

like in the comic the kid says "thair" to mean "they're", but i'd pronounce those the same. it's a literary trick to imply that the speaker is uneducated or whatever without actually implying a dialectical pronunciation.
    Okay, but a baby DOES pronounce things wrong.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    how is rendering Huckleberry Hound's dialect with things like "yew" in place of "you" condescending? I am just trying to capture the vocal flavor in written form
    ^^ OK, yeah, true. I was thinking more of the use of spelling to reflect pronunciation, which is a different thing, although there is overlap.
    rayman said:

my understanding was that "eye dialect" specifically referred to using nonstandard spelling to denote the standard pronunciation

like in the comic the kid says "thair" to mean "they're", but i'd pronounce those the same. it's a literary trick to imply that the speaker is uneducated or whatever without actually implying a dialectical pronunciation.

"The term is less commonly also used to refer to pronunciation spellings, that is, spellings of words that indicate that they are pronounced in a nonstandard way.[5] For example, an author might write dat as an attempt at accurate transcription of a nonstandard pronunciation of that."

having said which it looks like this is a dilution of the term and basically you're right

how is rendering Huckleberry Hound's dialect with things like "yew" in place of "you" condescending? I am just trying to capture the vocal flavor in written form

well, to my mind, because the correct spelling is still 'you' and it's not like prestige dialects are any more phonetic
    basically it's drawing attention to the accent as something deviant/nonstandard English
  • kill living beings
    i mean i'd rather keep the term specific because i'd just call the other thing "dialectical spelling" or "deliberate mispronunciation" or not even name it or something
    yeah i agree, i just didn't know 'eye dialect' had a more specific meaning and i've been using it wrong

thought i knew what it meant so i didn't click the link
    Smile HD
    A bit of the old ultraviolence. Real horrorshow, da?

BURN IN HELL
  • kill living beings
    heaven is down, evidently.

This makes me hate cats.

Fuck you, and fuck your goddamn ugly pokemon cats.

I do not want to hate cats.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    How rude, that is clearly a fox. :|
    You'd think, but THIS GODDAMN GARBAGE expects to believe it's a cat.
  • that is definitely a digimon

YOU MAKE ME HATE CHARITY

that is definitely a digimon

It's ambiguous but Digimon design has always been a little weirder and consciously uglier. Either way, it's a mon.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKITYFUCK