Homer strangling Bart

It was never funny, and got even less so later on when it became a crutch whipped out by the by-then hacks working on the show "for old times' sake". And the people behind the show seem to think we can't get enough of it.

Comments

• edited 2015-10-24 11:10:33
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There was also a post going around on Tumblr which talked about how sweet "DO IT FOR HER" was and how much Homer loves Lisa.

Absent from any reblogs was any mention of this.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think it was shock humour, at least at first

now it's iconic i guess
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The joke was also meant to rather un-subtly satirise the sitcom dad images of the time, as pretty much everything about Homer was meant to do and, in a different way, still is meant to do.

For further exegesis, watch this thing:

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I found it amusing
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The joke was also meant to rather un-subtly satirise the sitcom dad images of the time, as pretty much everything about Homer was meant to do and, in a different way, still is meant to do.

For further exegesis, watch this thing:

This is why I like Jerry from Rick and Morty.

Because like, he is the Homer archetype of being a manchild idiot with a beautiful and successful wife and a nice house that he doesn't deserve. But despite him being an idiot, he has enough emotional intelligence to understand the former sentence.

He knows he's not a good father to his kids, or a good match for his wife, but because he's such an idiot, he can't manage to fix that. He only has the life he has because he knocked up his prom date and they stayed together for the kid. He isn't worthy of the life he lives, and despite his best efforts, he can't manage to be more than a parasite and a drain on his family, and reacting to that fact just makes things worse.

• edited 2015-10-25 19:06:58
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Jerry actually faces consequences for his actions, too, unlike Homer. One example is him getting laid off from his advertising job for coming up with one too many utterly useless ideas for ad campaigns.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    That too