Rear-facing cameras on tablets

I can understand having a forward-facing camera, since it's usually decent enough to do some low-res Skyping or something, but a rear-facing camera? Is there anybody who actually prefers to take pictures with a huge-ass tablet? It's so much more cumbersome and awkward than taking photos with a phone or, god forbid, an actual camera.

Comments

• it's good for annoying old people
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, there's that.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-10-23 01:58:59
    Now that I have an iPad I sort of understand the reasoning behind this-- if you're already using the tablet and you want to take a picture, it can be easier than attempting to whip out a phone, and it's always on par with the cameras on iPhones of generations past (i.e. not terrible)-- but at the same time it's still weird, I feel weird when I do it, and looking at other people do it is just awkward as hell.

Additionally, I'm not going to be able to say so when I switch phones, but legit, the camera shortcut gesture on my current phone is intuitive and reliable enough that it makes tablet photos pretty much irrelevant. (Gotta love Moto.)

It is also very good for annoying old people, yes. (Also, sometimes the selfie cameras can be good for outputting wider camera angles than the ones on phones; just as an example, the semi-profile photo I used for that album art I did last month was based on an iPad selfie.)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the only times i've wanted to do it is when i've turned off my phone 'cuz i'm not getting signal anyways
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't doubt that the cameras on iPads are decent, but, well...here's a photo from my 2015 Amazon Fire. Presented at its full resolution:

I mean I guess that's what I'd expect from a tablet that retails for $50 but I feel like at that point I'd rather you just skip the rear camera and use the money to make the plastic feel a bit less cheapy.

iPad Air 2 image, for your consideration.

Again, nothing exemplary-- lots of grain up close, washes out colors from light sources a bit more than they do naturally-- but it gets the job done.
    Now it's time for Central Avenue gets really nosy pretending she's Sherlock!

You have a generic Coke cup. Most chain restaurants that serve Coke products have their own logos on their cups, so I'm guessing you got your drink from a UK dining hall or some other university-run establishment.

There's a Kroger Plus card on your keychain. Those cards tend to start peeling apart really easy, so based on the condition yours is in I'm going to say you got it pretty recently--probably around the time you started college.

If that's your dorm key, I'm going to guess the other side says "DO NOT DUPLICATE". Unfortunately, since you've posted a picture of the key, I could theoretically have it duplicated if I wanted to! :P

Oh yeah, and you have Tiny and Big's Steam page on your laptop, presumably to see if we'd notice. ^_^
  • Correct on all points but one: my WildCard doesn't say DO NOT DUPLICATE anywhere.

I guess it's just implied.

(The other card is from Qdoba, BTW.)
    I was actually talking about the Schlage key, not the card, but...you win this round. :P
  • The Schlage one actually doesn't say it either. 

Weird.
    ...oh, right, this was a thread about electronics.

Yeah, that is decent picture quality, comparable to what you'd get on a smartphone of similar specs.

Actually, it seems to have done pretty well with the crappy indoor lighting all us undergrads seem to have everywhere we go. :P