What shocking things do most British people not know about Britain?

I am naturalized British. While I feel British enough to be able to answer this wonderful question I see things sometimes from a foreigner's perspective. Having spoken to many colleagues and friends from this island about it I am confident that one thing most British people do not realize is the shocking power of BBC radio 4's 05:20AM shipping forecast to soothe new born babies.

If you ever find yourself early in the morning with a howling, hungry, sleepy baby that can not be soothed then switch on radio 4. You'll be shocked to find out how well it works. It's utterly mesmerizing both for the baby and the sleep deprived parents. First time I heard this I had no idea what was going on and didn't even realize it is in English, but my daughter seemed to know. So I listened. And it changed our life.
https://www.quora.com/What-shocking-things-do-most-British-people-not-know-about-Britain

Comments

• edited 2015-10-19 17:57:51
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    British people don't know that their nation is adorable and tiny.   It's a leetle baby nation, so small!  Only a little bigger than Pennsylvania, smaller than Oklahoma, even!
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    England is not unlike the kowari, being tiny and cute but deadly and vicious as well!