Even goddamn NETFLIX does credits pushback these days

And you can't seem to turn it off completely.

I firmly maintain that "no one cares about the credits" because Big Media made them stop caring, and no one ever questions Big Media.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i never cared about the credits

i kinda care more now after talking to people on the internet who did

but like, when i was a kid, if they showed the credits, i never cared, if you referred to a character by the name of the actor i'd be like 'who', i didn't understand how people could keep track of these names or why anyone cared when they weren't part of the story
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    OpAPHID said:

i never cared about the credits

i kinda care more now after talking to people on the internet who did

but like, when i was a kid, if they showed the credits, i never cared, if you referred to a character by the name of the actor i'd be like 'who', i didn't understand how people could keep track of these names or why anyone cared when they weren't part of the story

well, they made the story happen
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You know, you can see the full credits by simply clicking back to the episode or film, if I am not mistaken. And Hulu doesn't sideline them at all. But, should you like to skip them, there is the option.

I would rather look up show credits, to be honest. Sometimes shows do nifty things with credit sequences but that's really a crapshoot.
    0vvvv0 said:

You know, you can see the full credits by simply clicking back to the episode or film, if I am not mistaken.

But you didn't have to do that before, and it's one extra annoyance.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to skip them (and Netflix skips the intros too when this happens - because sometimes if I'm watching more than one episode of something I don't want to hear its theme song a bunch of times), but still
    ^^ well i know that

kid!tachyon knew that too, and i guess if you remarked on it would probably think that was kind of cool

but "kinda cool" is about it, i wouldn't remember the names and i wouldn't really care

nothing to do with big media, just didn't care much about people i didn't know
    Nobody ever seems to say "maybe they should just make things the way they were before?"
    i am fairly sure this is not typical, at least not where actors are concerned

these days i do care somewhat
    I remember the continuation screen popping up during the credits for a long time, years perhaps. I think there's a way to make it wait until after the credits but I am not so sure.
    Anonus said:

Nobody ever seems to say "maybe they should just make things the way they were before?"

people say this about some things

like the Windows start menu, people said it about that
    0vvvv0 said:

I remember the continuation screen popping up during the credits for a long time, years perhaps. I think there's a way to make it wait until after the credits but I am not so sure.

up until like last year or earlier this year that wasn't the case
    Anonus said:

0vvvv0 said:

up until like last year or earlier this year that wasn't the case

While we were on hiatus for a long time, we had Netflix for years and I am pretty sure that this has been the default for a long time.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i don't ever remember the continuation screen not popping up during the credits.

at any rate, if i want to know who was involved with the show i can scroll thru imdb or w/e
  • The second half of Calica's post is exactly why the continue screen was introduced.

Perhaps that's an unfortunate concession for those of us that enjoy thumbing through credit sequences, but I think the general consensus is that credits are sort of an optional thing now if one wants to dig deeper into the cast/crew/etc.
    but ending themes! closing logos!
    Closing logos are generally the same every time. Credits music and the like may be different, however, so I can see that being an issue, but you can go back for that.
  • tbh I'm kind of with anonus on this one

not because I care so much about credits, but because I find the increasing drive to squeeze just one or two more seconds of ad time in just incredibly distasteful

did you know some networks very slightly speed up reruns now? it's a thing.
    Yeah, that's repugnant. And I loathe pushback on regular TV. But with Netflix it's just them asking you if you want to skip the credits and watch the next episode, which I think is basically fine.
  • they are making things faster slowly over time as part of a neffarious experiment

eventually by the time our great-grandkids are watching things on their holovisions every show will be Teekyu
  • edited 2015-10-19 01:53:48
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

tbh I'm kind of with anonus on this one

not because I care so much about credits, but because I find the increasing drive to squeeze just one or two more seconds of ad time in just incredibly distasteful

GSN has been very slightly speeding up reruns for years.

They have long been envelope pushers when it comes to being annoying - when they switched from "Game Show Network" to "GSN" in March of 2004, they began smashing the credits to be even less legible than anyone else would make them, and they would NEVER let them finish! (Except on rare occasions)
    0vvvv0 said:

Yeah, that's repugnant. And I loathe pushback on regular TV. But with Netflix it's just them asking you if you want to skip the credits and watch the next episode, which I think is basically fine.

It just feels like a certain sanctuary has been violated

Like back in February of 2004, when Toon Disney added The Proud Family to their schedule, I remember feeling a very definite "oh god, why does that have to be here too?"
    I didn't have strong feelings about that show, honestly.

And the disco casualty uncle was kind of great solely because we all have that one relative who is in some way reminiscent of that character.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

tbh I'm kind of with anonus on this one

Hasn't that been a thing in syndication for literally decades now?

It's just that cable networks started doing it too in the last few years.
    0vvvv0 said:

And the disco casualty uncle was kind of great solely because we all have that one relative who is in some way reminiscent of that character.

It foreshadowed Toon Disney no longer being an archive channel, as did - more seriously - the rebirth of Fox Kids's twilight years as Jetix.

I know that like 95% of what was on there was no great shakes, but still.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Listening to We Hate Movies has made me realize that some people recognize every actor under the sun.

Like, I don't know why Victor Garber is, but apparently he's someone people have opinions about.
    Torgo said:

Listening to We Hate Movies has made me realize that some people recognize every actor under the sun.

Like, I don't know why Victor Garber is, but apparently he's someone people have opinions about.

I know that name but I have no idea what he was in.
    He is one of those actors I peripherally recognise but I am not sure how I do, precisely.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    they are making things faster slowly over time as part of a neffarious experiment

eventually by the time our great-grandkids are watching things on their holovisions every show will be Teekyu
    blipverts

• edited 2015-10-19 07:08:08
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Anonus said:

0vvvv0 said:

It foreshadowed Toon Disney no longer being an archive channel, as did - more seriously - the rebirth of Fox Kids's twilight years as Jetix.

I know that like 95% of what was on there was no great shakes, but still.
    returning to this, for things I presently care about, Pepper Ann aired there regularly until about 2005, and 101 somehow lasted until 2006
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    :3 said:

fine by me