Christmas creep

I haven't gone shopping lately, so: how much Christmas stuff are you seeing at the stores right now?

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Relatively little that I have noticed, but I do not get out a lot. Hallowe'en stuff is far more common at this time.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    We got some Christmas stuff (displays, etc.) shipped to us the other day but I don't think they've been put up yet.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

Relatively little that I have noticed, but I do not get out a lot. Hallowe'en stuff is far more common at this time.

I figured but I was just wondering if there was Christmas stuff because I need this stuff for a story
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I was listening to WODC this morning and the DJ mentioned that people had been asking when they were going to switch to Christmas music and he said he didn't know but it would probably be sometime in November.

I would assume they just told him to say that, but from the exasperation in his voice, I think that actually was something people had been asking him.

Which is weird, because most people seem to hate Christmas music.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also when I was working a temp job for a warehouse late last month we were putting together supermarket displays for seasonal Clif Bar flavors, but I don't really count that as Christmas creep because it seems reasonable that you'd want those prepared fairly early to get time to ship them...
  • edited 2015-10-15 01:38:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I like Christmas music, but I also think it should be snowing when you play it.

Which is, like Christmas trees, to say it should be potentially acceptable until about Valentine's Day.
  • on valentines day the only acceptable music is The Perfect Drug by NIN
  • kill living beings
    soon we'll start seeing ads for christmas on boxing day, and then the previous christmas

at that point the year will gradually shrink as we lose track of non-christmas intervals, until eventually santa becomes blood leader of the world state
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ...Do you even have Boxing Day in the US?
  • ...Do you even have Boxing Day in the US?

I actually have no clue what this is besides it's a British holiday
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    What is Boxing Day? Is that when Mike Tyson goes down your chimney and punches you in the face?
  • edited 2015-10-15 01:47:24
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    0vvvv0 said:

I like Christmas music, but I also think it should be snowing when you play it.

Which is, like Christmas trees, to say it should be potentially acceptable until about Valentine's Day.

For me, there's three times it's appropriate to listen to Christmas music: when you're engaging in Christmas-related activities, when it's the last week of Autumn Semester and you'd rather be engaging in Christmas-related activities, or when you're writing about Christmas. I tend to do the latter in late October and November, though I'm careful to keep some variety in my holiday music compared to what gets overplayed on the radio and in stores.

Not really. I mean, a lot of people take December 26th off from work, and you might visit family and stuff, but it's not a holiday in and of itself.

Calendars in North America tend to mark it as "Boxing Day (Canada)"
  • What is Boxing Day? Is that when Mike Tyson goes down your chimney and punches you in the face?

this is a holiday concept I can get behind
    :3 said:

It's the day after Christmas, when back in the old days rich people would give their servants the day off and, more often than not, buy them presents. It's a holdover from Saturnalia and only nominally extant in the US. I think Canada observes it to some degree, however.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

:3 said:

It's the day after Christmas, when back in the old days rich people would give their servants the day off and, more often than not, buy them presents. It's a holdover from Saturnalia and only nominally extant in the US. I think Canada observes it to some degree, however.
    I think I prefer the being punched holiday concept
  • kill living beings
    ok but it's called that because you kept a cake in a box for the fated day and cake is good
    Cake is good.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    There is a school of thought that there is such a thing as "too sweet". Of course, this school of thought is categorically incorrect.

There is a school of thought that there is such a thing as "too sweet". Of course, this school of thought is categorically incorrect.

Alice, maybe we have more in common than we thought. ^_^
  • There is a school of thought that there is such a thing as "too sweet". Of course, this school of thought is categorically incorrect.

too many sweets make my teeth hurt, so maybe there is such a thing
  • also I literally think the Cadbury products sold in America are such
    I think a thing can be too sweet, but that is entirely contextual. And I like some extremely sweet things, so what "too sweet" even is, is probably not something I am terribly well-equipped to gauge.