Pan flopped

And here I am thinking "what the fuck, Warner Bros.? Why do you want to be Disney - your arch-nemesis - so bad?"

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Seems like such a nothing movie.
  • I legit have no clue
  • edited 2015-10-13 06:12:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    :3 said:

what's Pan?

WB's live-action Peter Pan adaptation that was released last Friday to awful reviews and underwhelming business
  • edited 2015-10-13 06:13:42
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's not even an adaption. It's an invented prequel.

Reading the summary, it makes no sense, because how the fuck did this Indian "chosen one" become the puckish faerie asshole that fucks with a bunch of English children a few years down the line?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I hate "chosen one" narratives, always will, that is all.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll take an actual messianic story over a chosen one narrative any day of the week.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Everyone needs to be a chosen one nowadays.

Also I really liked Hook as a child.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    You could even say that the critics panned it.

Thank you, folks, I'll be here all week.
    Pan has child slaves being forced to sing Smells Like Teen Spirit by Blackbeard, apparently.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I didn't realize this film existed until just now.

I am okay with this.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    puns aside, this and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. make me wonder what the fuck Kevin Tsujihara and co. are doing at Warner Bros.

Pan sounds really clichéd, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is an origin story for a 1960s TV show that never seemed to be in reruns even when I was a kid. Can't WB keep the MGM IP-milking to Tom and Jerry?
  • I can't be the only one who expected this thread to be about breakfast.
  • edited 2015-10-14 03:35:05
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

puns aside, this and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. make me wonder what the fuck Kevin Tsujihara and co. are doing at Warner Bros.

Pan sounds really clichéd, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is an origin story for a 1960s TV show that never seemed to be in reruns even when I was a kid. Can't WB keep the MGM IP-milking to Tom and Jerry?
    Just wait.

We'll be getting a Wizard of Oz Cinematic Universe before long.
  • edited 2015-10-14 03:34:16

Anonus said:

Just wait.

We'll be getting a Wizard of Oz Cinematic Universe before long.
    I'm awaiting WB collapsing on itself

I hope they put Quick Draw McGraw on DVD in its entirety before this happens
    Considering how long the original book series ran, and how much material hasn't been adapted to screen yet, a Wizard of Oz cinematic universe would actually make sense.

But knowing the studios, they aren't interested in adapting those books. They just want to extrapolate and endlessly rehash material from the one movie that everyone already cares about.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It would work as a television show.
    Oh crap, now I'm imagining HBO turning the Land of Oz series into a slightly more whimsical Game of Thrones.
  • edited 2015-10-14 04:03:34

Considering how long the original book series ran, and how much material hasn't been adapted to screen yet, a Wizard of Oz cinematic universe would actually make sense.

But knowing the studios, they aren't interested in adapting those books. They just want to extrapolate and endlessly rehash material from the one movie that everyone already cares about.
    By "the studios", you mean Warner Bros., who considers the 1939 movie one of their crown jewels. (And like many of their crown jewels, they inherited it from Turner Entertainment; it is a pre-Poltergeist II MGM movie, and those are with WB)
    Also, HBO is owned by Time Warner too, and Jeff Bewkes has pushed for more synergy within Time Warner :P
    I am pretty sure it would be significantly less... a lot of things, than that. Although with those production values, it would be something.
  • to tangent for a moment: i still have no clue why the 1939 Oz movie is considered so great
    Just imagine the Warner Bros. Television logo immediately followed by "THIS HAS BEEN A PRESENTATION OF HOME BOX OFFICE"

Isn't it beautiful
  • i dont mean that in a "this is a thing that people like, but they are wrong it's bad" way i mean it in a "this movie is so decidedly banal in every way that i cant figure out how anyone could muster up any sort of emotional response to it in either direction"
  • Fantastic iconography, mostly
    there's no place like home
  • you know what also has fantastic iconography? Sinners In The Hands of an Angry God

and a one

and a two

and a ONE TWO THREE FOUR

That world of misery, that lake of burning brimstone is extended abroad under you. There is the dreadful pit of the glowing flames of the wrath of God; there is hell's wide gaping mouth open; and you have nothing to stand upon, nor anything to take hold of: there is nothing between you and hell but the air; 'tis only the power and mere pleasure of God that holds you up.

You probably are not sensible of this; you find you are kept out of hell, but don't see the hand of God in it, but look at other things, as the good state of your bodily constitution, your care of your own life, and the means you use for your own preservation. But indeed these things are nothing; if God should withdraw his hand, they would avail no more to keep you from falling, than the thin air to hold up a person that is suspended in it.

Your wickedness makes you as it were heavy as lead, and to tend downwards with great weight and pressure towards hell; and if God should let you go, you would immediately sink and swiftly descend and plunge into the bottomless gulf, and your healthy constitution, and your own care and prudence, and best contrivance, and all your righteousness, would have no more influence to uphold you and keep you out of hell, than a spider's web would have to stop a falling rock. Were it not that so is the sovereign pleasure of God, the earth would not bear you one moment; for you are a burden to it; the creation groans with you; the creature is made subject to the bondage of your corruption, not willingly; the sun don't willingly shine upon you to give you light to serve sin and Satan; the earth don't willingly yield her increase to satisfy your lusts; nor is it willingly a stage for your wickedness to be acted upon; the air don't willingly serve you for breath to maintain the flame of life in your vitals, while you spend your life in the service of God's enemies. God's creatures are good, and were made for men to serve God with, and don't willingly subserve to any other purpose, and groan when they are abused to purposes so directly contrary to their nature and end. And the world would spew you out, were it not for the sovereign hand of him who hath subjected it in hope. There are the black clouds of God's wrath now hanging directly over your heads, full of the dreadful storm, and big with thunder; and were it not for the restraining hand of God it would immediately burst forth upon you. The sovereign pleasure of God for the present stays his rough wind; otherwise it would come with fury, and your destruction would come like a whirlwind, and you would be like the chaff of the summer threshing floor.

The wrath of God is like great waters that are dammed for the present; they increase more and more, and rise higher and higher, till an outlet is given, and the longer the stream is stopped, the more rapid and mighty is its course, when once it is let loose. 'Tis true, that judgment against your evil works has not been executed hitherto; the floods of God's vengeance have been withheld; but your guilt in the meantime is constantly increasing, and you are every day treasuring up more wrath; the waters are continually rising and waxing more and more mighty; and there is nothing but the mere pleasure of God that holds the waters back that are unwilling to be stopped, and press hard to go forward; if God should only withdraw his hand from the floodgate, it would immediately fly open, and the fiery floods of the fierceness and wrath of God would rush forth with inconceivable fury, and would come upon you with omnipotent power; and if your strength were ten thousand times greater than it is, yea, ten thousand times greater than the strength of the stoutest, sturdiest devil in hell, it would be nothing to withstand or endure it.

The bow of God's wrath is bent, and the arrow made ready on the string, and Justice bends the arrow at your heart, and strains the bow, and it is nothing but the mere pleasure of God, and that of an angry God, without any promise or obligation at all, that keeps the arrow one moment from being made drunk with your blood.

Thus are all you that never passed under a great change of heart, by the mighty power of the Spirit of God upon your souls; all that were never born again, and made new creatures, and raised from being dead in sin, to a state of new, and before altogether unexperienced light and life (however you may have reformed your life in many things, and may have had religious affections, and may keep up a form of religion in your families and closets, and in the house of God, and may be strict in it), you are thus in the hands of an angry God; 'tis nothing but his mere pleasure that keeps you from being this moment swallowed up in everlasting destruction.

However unconvinced you may now be of the truth of what you hear, by and by you will be fully convinced of it. Those that are gone from being in the like circumstances with you, see that it was so with them; for destruction came suddenly upon most of them, when they expected nothing of it, and while they were saying, "Peace and safety": now they see, that those things that they depended on for peace and safety, were nothing but thin air and empty shadows.

The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect, over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked; his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times so abominable in his eyes as the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince: and yet 'tis nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment; 'tis to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep: and there is no other reason to be given why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up; there is no other reason to be given why you han't gone to hell since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship: yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you don't this very moment drop down into hell.

O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: 'tis a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you as against many of the damned in hell; you hang by a slender thread, with the flames of divine wrath flashing about it, and ready every moment to singe it, and burn it asunder; and you have no interest in any mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment.

And consider here more particularly several things concerning that wrath that you are in such danger of.
    no argument here
  • First. Whose wrath it is: it is the wrath of the infinite God. If it were only the wrath of man, though it were of the most potent prince, it would be comparatively little to be regarded. The wrath of kings is very much dreaded, especially of absolute monarchs, that have the possessions and lives of their subjects wholly in their power, to be disposed of at their mere will. Proverbs 20:2, "The fear of a king is as the roaring of a lion: whoso provoketh him to anger, sinneth against his own soul." The subject that very much enrages an arbitrary prince, is liable to suffer the most extreme torments, that human art can invent or human power can inflict. But the greatest earthly potentates, in their greatest majesty and strength, and when clothed in their greatest terrors, are but feeble despicable worms of the dust, in comparison of the great and almighty Creator and King of heaven and earth: it is but little that they can do, when most enraged, and when they have exerted the utmost of their fury. All the kings of the earth before God are as grasshoppers, they are nothing and less than nothing: both their love and their hatred is to be despised. The wrath of the great King of kings is as much more terrible than their's, as his majesty is greater. Luke 12:4-05, "And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, fear him."
  • Second. 'Tis the fierceness of his wrath that you are exposed to. We often read of the fury of God; as in Isaiah 59:18, "According to their deeds, accordingly he will repay fury to his adversaries." So Isaiah 66:15, "For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebukes with flames of fire." And so in many other places. So we read of God's fierceness. Revelation 19:15, there we read of "the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of almighty God." The words are exceeding terrible: if it had only been said, "the wrath of God," the words would have implied that which is infinitely dreadful; but 'tis not only said so, but "the fierceness and wrath of God": the fury of God! the fierceness of Jehovah! Oh how dreadful must that be! Who can utter or conceive what such expressions carry in them! But it is not only said so, but "the fierceness and wrath of almighty God." As though there would be a very great manifestation of his almighty power, in what the fierceness of his wrath should inflict, as though omnipotence should be as it were enraged, and exerted, as men are wont to exert their strength in the fierceness of their wrath. Oh! then what will be consequence! What will become of the poor worm that shall suffer it! Whose hands can be strong? and whose heart endure? To what a dreadful, inexpressible, inconceivable depth of misery must the poor creature be sunk, who shall be the subject of this!

Consider this, you that are here present, that yet remain in an unregenerate state. That God will execute the fierceness of his anger, implies that he will inflict wrath without any pity: when God beholds the ineffable extremity of your case, and sees your torment to be so vastly disproportioned to your strength, and sees how your poor soul is crushed and sinks down, as it were into an infinite gloom, he will have no compassion upon you, he will not forbear the executions of his wrath, or in the least lighten his hand; there shall be no moderation or mercy, nor will God then at all stay his rough wind; he will have no regard to your welfare, nor be at all careful lest you should suffer too much, in any other sense than only that you shall not suffer beyond what strict justice requires: nothing shall be withheld, because it's so hard for you to bear. Ezekiel 8:18, "Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity; and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet I will not hear them." Now God stands ready to pity you; this is a day of mercy; you may cry now with some encouragement of obtaining mercy: but when once the day of mercy is past, your most lamentable and dolorous cries and shrieks will be in vain; you will be wholly lost and thrown away of God as to any regard to your welfare; God will have no other use to put you to but only to suffer misery; you shall be continued in being to no other end; for you will be a vessel of wrath fitted to destruction; and there will be no other use of this vessel but only to be filled full of wrath: God will be so far from pitying you when you cry to him, that 'tis said he will only laugh and mock (Proverbs 1:25-32).

How awful are those words, Isaiah 63:3, which are the words of the great God, "I will tread them in mine anger, and will trample them in my fury, and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment." 'Tis perhaps impossible to conceive of words that carry in them greater manifestations of these three things, viz. contempt, and hatred, and fierceness of indignation. If you cry to God to pity you, he will be so far from pitying you in your doleful case, or showing you the least regard or favor, that instead of that he'll only tread you under foot: and though he will know that you can't bear the weight of omnipotence treading upon you, yet he won't regard that, but he will crush you under his feet without mercy; he'll crush out your blood, and make it fly, and it shall be sprinkled on his garments, so as to stain all his raiment. He will not only hate you, but he will have you in the utmost contempt; no place shall be thought fit for you, but under his feet, to be trodden down as the mire of the streets.
  • Third. The misery you are exposed to is that which God will inflict to that end, that he might show what that wrath of Jehovah is. God hath had it on his heart to show to angels and men, both how excellent his love is, and also how terrible his wrath is. Sometimes earthly kings have a mind to show how terrible their wrath is, by the extreme punishments they would execute on those that provoke 'em. Nebuchadnezzar, that mighty and haughty monarch of the Chaldean empire, was willing to show his wrath, when enraged with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; and accordingly gave order that the burning fiery furnace should be het seven times hotter than it was before; doubtless it was raised to the utmost degree of fierceness that human art could raise it: but the great God is also willing to show his wrath, and magnify his awful majesty and mighty power in the extreme sufferings of his enemies. Romans 9:22, "What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction?" And seeing this is his design, and what he has determined, to show how terrible the unmixed, unrestrained wrath, the fury and fierceness of Jehovah is, he will do it to effect. There will be something accomplished and brought to pass, that will be dreadful with a witness. When the great and angry God hath risen up and executed his awful vengeance on the poor sinner; and the wretch is actually suffering the infinite weight and power of his indignation, then will God call upon the whole universe to behold that awful majesty, and mighty power that is to be seen in it. Isaiah 33:12-14, "And the people shall be as the burning of lime: as thorns cut up shall they be burnt in the fire. Hear, ye that are far off, what I have done; and ye that are near, acknowledge my might. The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?"

Thus it will be with you that are in an unconverted state, if you continue in it; the infinite might, and majesty and terribleness of the omnipotent God shall be magnified upon you, in the ineffable strength of your torments: you shall be tormented in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb; and when you shall be in this state of suffering, the glorious inhabitants of heaven shall go forth and look on the awful spectacle, that they may see what the wrath and fierceness of the Almighty is, and when they have seen it, they will fall down and adore that great power and majesty. Isaiah 66:23-24, "And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh."
  • Fourth. 'Tis everlasting wrath. It would be dreadful to suffer this fierceness and wrath of almighty God one moment; but you must suffer it to all eternity: there will be no end to this exquisite horrible misery. When you look forward, you shall see a long forever, a boundless duration before you, which will swallow up your thoughts, and amaze your soul; and you will absolutely despair of ever having any deliverance, any end, any mitigation, any rest at all; you will know certainly that you must wear out long ages, millions of millions of ages, in wrestling and conflicting with this almighty merciless vengeance; and then when you have so done, when so many ages have actually been spent by you in this manner, you will know that all is but a point to what remains. So that your punishment will indeed be infinite. Oh who can express what the state of a soul in such circumstances is! All that we can possibly say about it, gives but a very feeble faint representation of it; 'tis inexpressible and inconceivable: for "who knows the power of God's anger?" [Psalms 90:11].
  • done

god that feels good
  • That sermon upsets me on a molecular level.
    it definitely makes God sound rather inexplicably pissed off
    It's one of the cornerstones of Calvinist theology. Thus, I am not surprised.

That being says, it makes infinitely more sense than the kind of pat explications of things like predestination that you get elsewhere. Maybe not the kind of sense that I agree with, but it at least lets me understand why people would buy into that ideology. That, and it is amazingly worded.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-14 17:20:18
    0vvvv0 said:

It's one of the cornerstones of Calvinist theology.

Not just Calvinist, but way too much of American theology in general.  Even the less paranoid denominations have gotten so much cultural bleedover from the fire and brimstone nuts that they start buying into the mindset.

And then we get hardline idiots so used to being hardline idiots that they completely divorce themselves from reality on all kinds of topics.

I think what bugs me most about that speech is that for a key historic Christian philosophy dump, it never once quotes or even mentions Jesus.  Of course if they did it would probably be a lot less panic-inducing, because even when he starts getting inflammatory and Gehenna it's usually more "stop being assholes to each other" rather than "I'm going to throw most of the world into a big fire because PREDESTINATION", and that's not so productive to making power grabs that capitalize on paranoia.
  • Religion is awesome.
  • Bee said:

0vvvv0 said:

Not just Calvinist, but way too much of American theology in general.  Even the less paranoid denominations have gotten so much cultural bleedover from the fire and brimstone nuts that they start buying into the mindset.

And then we get hardline idiots so used to being hardline idiots that they completely divorce themselves from reality on all kinds of topics.

I think what bugs me most about that speech is that for a key historic Christian philosophy dump, it never once quotes or even mentions Jesus.  Of course if they did it would probably be a lot less panic-inducing, because even when he starts getting inflammatory and Gehenna it's usually more "stop being assholes to each other" rather than "I'm going to throw most of the world into a big fire because PREDESTINATION", and that's not so productive to making power grabs that capitalize on paranoia.
    methinks you have not read the whole thing

Solutions to the Altruist's burden: the Quantum Billionaire Trick

Roko 23 July 2010 12:30PM

Prerequisite concepts: Non-technical Introduction to the AI Deterrence Problem, And the winner is: Many-Worlds!

Followup to: The Altruist's Burden

One way to overcome the Altruist's burden problem is to stop being an altruist, to re-frame your impulses to help distant others as a bias rather than a preference. In the case of existential risks, there are additional reasons for doing this: firstly that the people who are helping you are the same as the people who are punishing you. (This is not the case for aid to the developing world). This is not an option that I personally like.

Another perfectly valid reaction is to just take the hit and accept that you will be taken advantage of as an altruist, but that it is worth it. This is also not an option that I personally like.

In this vein, there is the ominous possibility that if a positive singularity does occur, the resultant singleton may have precommitted to punish all potential donors who knew about existential risks but who didn't give 100% of their disposable incomes to x-risk motivation. This would act as an incentive to get people to donate more to reducing existential risk, and thereby increase the chances of a positive singularity. This seems to be what CEV (coherent extrapolated volition of humanity) might do if it were an acausal decision-maker.[1] So a post-singularity world may be a world of fun and plenty for the people who are currently ignoring the problem, whilst being a living hell for a significant fraction of current existential risk reducers (say, the least generous half). You could take this possibility into account and give even more to x-risk in an effort to avoid being punished. But of course, if you're thinking like that, then the CEV-singleton is even more likely to want to punish you... nasty. Of course this would be unjust, but is the kind of unjust thing that is oh-so-very utilitarian. It is a concrete example of how falling for the just world fallacy might backfire on a person with respect to existential risk, especially against people who were implicitly or explicitly expecting some reward for their efforts in the future. And even if you only think that the probability of this happening is 1%, note that the probability of a CEV doing this to a random person who would casually brush off talk of existential risks as "nonsense" is essentially zero.

A more exciting (and to my mind more preferable) way to overcome the problem is to quickly become so rich that you can turn charity into business by single-handedly changing the faces of high-impact industries. Elon Musk is probably the best example of this. I swear that man will single-handedly colonize mars, as well as bringing cheap, reliable electric vehicles to the consumer. And he'll do it at the same time as making even more money. The key to this tactic is scale. You can't contribute 0.00002% of the effort to colonize space or mitigate existential risks and reap 0.00001% of the reward: you get 0 or even negative reward if your contribution is below some threshold.

[edit]The quantum billionaire trick

But how can an individual do an Elon Musk job on existential risk? Not everyone is a good enough entrepreneur to drop out of grad school and come out with a $300 million startup before their classmates even have PhDs. Well, there is another way to make $300,000,000. Start with $30,000, and using a quantum random number generator, gamble it on the forex markets at a 10,000:1 ratio. Then in the branches where your gamble pays off, start an AGI company, hire the best people and build an FAI yourself. You could hire existing existential risk charities as consultants when you required their services. You can increase your chance of success in at least some branches by tossing a quantum coin to make key decisions. You could take, say, 50% of the universe for yourself and donate the other 50% to humanity. In your half, you can then create many independent rescue simulations of yourself up to August 2010 (or some other date), who then get rescued and sent to an optimized utopia.

You can also use your resources to acausally trade with a CEV-like singleton that might otherwise punish you for being a partial x-risk reducer, as mentioned before.

You can also use resources to acausally trade [2] with all possible unfriendly AIs [3] that might be built, exchanging resources in branches where you succeed for the uFAI sparing your life and "pensioning you off" with a tiny proportion of the universe in branches where it is built. Given that unfriendly AI is said by many experts to be the most likely outcome of humanity's experiment with AI this century, having such a lifeboat is no small benefit. Even if you are not an acausal decision-maker and therefore place no value on rescue simulations, many uFAIs would be acausal decision-makers. Though it seems to me that most people one-box on Newcomb's Problem, and rescue simulations seems decision-theoretically equivalent to Newcomb.

[edit]

A win-win solution

What I like most about this option is that it is a win-win interaction between you and the rest of humanity, rather than a lose-win interaction. Humanity benefits by having a much higher chance of survival in 1 in 10,000 of the branches of the wavefunction, and you benefit by getting the lifeboat, removing the possibility of punishment and getting the rescue simulations. It also avoids the bitterness inherent in the first option, and the sucker-ness inherent in the second. That nobody thought of win-win solutions to existential risk before may be a testament to zero-sum bias.

1: One might think that the possibility of CEV punishing people couldn't possibly be taken seriously enough by anyone to actually motivate them. But in fact one person at SIAI was severely worried by this, to the point of having terrible nightmares, though ve wishes to remain anonymous. The fact that it worked on at least one person means that it would be a tempting policy to adopt. One might also think that CEV would give existential risk reducers apositive rather than negative incentive to reduce existential risks. But if a post-positive singularity world is already optimal, then the only way you can make it better for existential risk-reducers is to make it worse for everyone else. This would be very costly from the point of view of CEV, whereas punishing partial x-risk reducers might be very cheap.

2: Acausal trade is somewhat speculative: it is the idea that you can influence causally disconnected parts of the multiverse by doing simulations of them. A simpler explanation of how you can affect a uFAI in this way is to think about Nick Bostrom's Simulation Argument from the point of view of the uFAI. If you historically played a quantum lottery that definitely paid off in some branches of the wavefunction, then the uFAI will assign some probability to being in a simulation run by you, if that is what you pre-committed to doing (and if you actually follow through on your precommitment: the uFAI can test this by simulating you).

3: This idea is in part due to Rolf Nelson's idea of using the simulation hypothesis to acausally trade with uFAIs.Read his blog to find out more.

• BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-14 19:05:22
    Bee said:

0vvvv0 said:

methinks you have not read the whole thing

Right, the Luke:12 bit.  Derp.

Amusingly, that one part is taken as far out of context as you can get.  It was condemning the Pharisees and corrupt courts, and ends with multiple reassurances of man's own worth and sense of justice (plus some...iffy bits about slaves that made more sense at the time and are cringeworthy now), but he just cut out everything except the Hell bit to be as alarmist as possible and win cheap and easy converts.

So I'll concede: he does once quote Jesus, but does not speak of him in any meaningful sense.
  • no i mean the whole whole thing, not just the bit i posted

the bit i posted is just the lead up, the stick part of the stick/carrot combo
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-14 19:21:36
    It was something I remembered thinking when I had to read it in college, so I double-checked against a full copy:

He babbles occasionally about accepting or rejecting Christ, but not of what that actually constitutes, and never in the context of what Christ actually said about it.  I'll admit I'm a filthy Catholic who never bought into sola fide in the first place, but even for American Protestants it's as token and buzzwordy as it gets.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-15 05:51:50
    Also something something Peter Pan.  Peter is Jesus because he descended to the mortal world and then had to return to his eternally young utopia or something.  Tinkerbell is the Holy Spirit who gifts Peter's disciples with flight, optimism, and the ability to speak in tongues and fight pirates.  Hook is Satan, and the alligators and/or fear of clocks is his poetic self-imprisonment in the realm of sin.
  • The most important character, of course, is Smee, who represents the tragic archetypal sinner.  He obviously has a kind heart and is not particularly talented at performing evil, but has subordinated himself to the Prince of Darkness, resulting in a self-reinforcing abusive relationship.  He tries but is unable to steer his companions in sin toward a brighter future, and is ultimately dragged down with them.  This continues well into the sequel until he is symbolically cast off the ship and into the depths of Hell by the Holy Spirit.

This tragedy is further compounded in that Smee appears to be the future of the wise, virtuous dwarf Doc, who appears to have simply fallen in with a bad crowd after having a crisis of faith, diet, and fashion sense.
    I still maintain there should be a movie that's just Hook fighting the alligator the whole time.

It would be great