all music reviews should be written in the manner of metal reviews

2»

Comments

• 0vvvv0 said:

I feel a little personally insulted here. Yes, there are obnoxious metal fans, some of whom are truly awful, but most metal people I have met are pretty chill. Must everyone generalise in this imminently unpleasant and self-righteous manner?

I know as a mod that I should try to end rather than start fights but I am sick of this selective tone-deafness and unrelenting negativity over petty bullshit.

I was mostly referring to people I have spoken to on reddit who are, by and large, my only exposure to the metal community as an entity.

I did not respond sooner because I was doing the dishes.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

I was talking to Jane, mainly, although it is a more general concern. I thought that was clearer from context than it was.

Sorry.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Reddit is full of terrible communities which are not representative of most people who like the same things. Not that it lacks good ones, but I would not use it as a gauge of the greater metal fandom(s).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    There are some good metal fans and some not-so-good ones, I'll just leave it at that, probably.
  • My enduring image of the metal community was saying (in response to a question in a General Discussion thread on the hip-hop subreddit) that I didn't like much metal but I thought Dragonforce were OK and then having literally ~30 people tell me that Dragonforce is one of the worst bands in the world and that I should stab my ears out and kill myself.
  • That is perhaps not fair, but it's not the best first impression either.
    Dragonforce have, I think, some kind of hatedom in the metal community and, as usual, some take it way too far.
    People who genuinely think Dragonforce are the worst thing ever are probably insufferably uptight in their day-to-day lives. Now, it is possible that they thought you were trolling them, but that kind of response is still horrendous.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

People who genuinely think Dragonforce are the worst thing ever are probably insufferably uptight in their day-to-day lives. Now, it is possible that they thought you were trolling them, but that kind of response is still horrendous.

maybe

idk I guess it's the equivalent of saying Macklemore is your favorite rapper or something

on top of that I mostly just like "Through The Fire & The Flames"
  • 0vvvv0 said:

maybe

idk I guess it's the equivalent of saying Macklemore is your favorite rapper or something

it's prolly more like saying Vanilla Ice is your favorite
  • like, people would assume it's lazy trolling
  • :3 said:

0vvvv0 said:

maybe

it's prolly more like saying Vanilla Ice is your favorite
    ok sure
    :3 said:

like, people would assume it's lazy trolling

I was in the rap subforum so I'm not sure why

if someone said they legitimately liked "Ice Ice Baby" I would not assume that they were trolling, just that they had not been exposed to much good hip-hop, or, alternately, much Queen.
    At least Dragonforce have some semblance of technical skill. Vanilla Ice's flow was tragic.
    I don't dislike Dragonforce, by the way. They are silly, but they are supposed to be.
  • I was in the rap subforum so I'm not sure why

idgi either
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My favorite rapper is Freddy Mercury
  • 0vvvv0 said:

At least Dragonforce have some semblance of technical skill. Vanilla Ice's flow was tragic.

"Ice Ice Baby" isn't even a bad song really it's just very middling from a hip-hop perspective.

It's like it's essentially what you'd get if you asked someone to write a generic diss rap in ~10 minutes and then you decided to record that over a looped section of "Under Pressure" for some reason.
  • im listening to Ice Ice Baby for the first time ever

he looks like a dude i knew in high school?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I still don't entirely mind Macklemore, TBH, and I still don't entirely get the beef so many people have against him.
    word to your mother
  • kill living beings
    one of my english teachers in high school used... i can't remember if it was vanilla ice or ice cube, as an example in teaching prosody

hm
  • I still don't entirely mind Macklemore, TBH, and I still don't entirely get the beef so many people have against him.
    He's not bad.

The thing about Macklemore is more about the way he carries himself, which doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're actually in the community I realize.

Basically the gist of it is that he's sort of accidentally cultivated a fanbase that almost exclusively consists of people who don't listen to much other hip-hop.

Macklemore was actually pretty well respected when he was Professor Macklemore and rapping on mixtapes over the Beverly Hills Cop theme, but that was years ago.
  • rayman said:

one of my english teachers in high school used... i can't remember if it was vanilla ice or ice cube

this is an incredible post
  • :3 said:

im listening to Ice Ice Baby for the first time ever

he looks like a dude i knew in high school?

he looks like a dude everyone knew in high school, he just has that air about him
    OK, to the original topic: I love overenthusiastic metalhead reviews, and they seem to have few equivalents elsewhere.
  • kill living beings
    they're both ice

ice is indistinguishable
    I don't think huge Vanilla Ice fans exist anymore, regardless of what Tumblr thinks
  • Torgo said:

I don't think huge Vanilla Ice fans exist anymore, regardless of what Tumblr thinks

VANILLA ICE FANDOM GRAB YOUR VANILLA FROSTIES AND ROOFING MATERIALS
    What about that JoJo's character?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Vanilla Ice has Jojo fans.
    He has fans
    So there is a Vanilla Ice fandom. Of sorts.

Roofing materials.
    Oh dear.
  • Juggalos tend to like Vanilla Ice.

further like that one guy everyone knew in high school
  • Juggalo artists are a complete crapshoot.

Yes they like Vanilla Ice but they also like The Three-Six Mafia and COLD187
    Yeah. Odd subculture.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    didn't vanilla ice get arrested for stealing shit near one of the homes he was flipping