Comments

• :Youtube commenter voice: Uhh, I think this video is sponsored. I don't trust this product review.
  • Kellogg's Corn Flakes: They Make Cats Gay

can confirm, as child i ate corn flakes on numerous occasions and am now a gay cat
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't recall them making Jinksy or Super Snooper gay
  • look at those two screencaps and tell me that aint gay
    That's Top Cat and Fancy Fancy, not Jinks or Super Snooper
    (the joke is Kellogg's foot the bill for like half of H-B's shows back then)
  • edited 2015-09-30 06:55:15
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • what benefit do you gain from posting that
  • what benefit do you gain from posting that

• I too can find unpleasant things on the internet, it's not difficult.
  • im more annoyed cuz like, this thread was not in the NSFW category for a reason
  • because i wanted to avoid the prerequisite "hurr unrealistic yaoi sex" jokes
  • edited 2015-09-30 06:54:37
    naney said:

what benefit do you gain from posting that

Amusement presumably

also it seems to me like he's...agreeing with it? I mean the way it's phrased can come off as obnoxious but it seems like a solid point
  • but yeah, posting that in a non-NSFW thread is in poor judgement
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Sorry, didn't know this wasn't in NSFW. I'll just change it into a link.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that was pretty funny.
    no top cat sex
  • top cat is cute
    well Loopy De Loop is cute, but back in like 2002 I was fucking obsessed with Top Cat and I didn't see a Loopy cartoon until 2007 so that skews things
    was that too gross
  • Anonus said:

was that too gross

why would it be
    I worry it's hypocritical
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The one in the scarf is cute.

And wow, is that some interesting framing and posturing with those two. How intentional was that?
    Anonus said:

That's Top Cat and Fancy Fancy, not Jinks or Super Snooper

Even the names make this too easy.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

"Okay, here goes...

I myself have always personally not been able to stand yaoi and similarly shounen-ai (at least the larger majority of it), not because I am anti-gay in any way or to any degree whatsoever, but more rather because I'm NOT anti-gay. In order to prevent to bringing on some exclamations of "you said what now?" accompanied by arched eyebrows in my general direction as a result of that statement, please permit me to explain exactly what I meant by that.

You see it's in fact because I'm so concerned about gay rights, the right for gays, lesbians and bi-sexuals (as well as the transgendered and transvestite) to be treated as equals, as in *exactly* the same as everyone else, that I tend to find myself put off, offended and sometimes outright disgusted by the very unrealistic depictions of gay characters and gay relationships in an overwhelming percentage of yaoi and/or shounen-ai series, fanfic, and doujinshi (especially doujinshi) out there.

The creators and writers behind yaoi manga/anime series (who are more often than not female, and after all yaoi/shounen-ai stories are written, drawn, and aimed predominantly at young girls and women), and especially their fangirls, tend to place more emphasis on the "kawaiibishounen" factor than anything else of any great relevance or significance that would actually make these characters out to be relatable, believable individuals who just happen to be gay, rather than just, glomping, oft-whiney and bitchy effeminate characatURES of gay/bi-sexual/ and/or cross-dressing men that they are. Fangirls and yaoi artists alike treat these "pretty bois" like pretty little highly glompable playthings for other equally as pretty boys or sometimes just overly manly and obnoxious men (the exact opposite end of the stereotyping spectrum, still not that better when you really look at it because these "beefy macho jerks" semes are still usually done as charactures all the same), that in reality seem to really serve more as playthings to the squeeing fangirls that adore, sometimes outright worship them. They provide a means of living out the romantic (and) or sexual fantasies of (mostly) teenage fangirls than anything else.

Canon Yaoi series typically consist of plots revolving around the perfect, extra pretty and youthful-looking Marty Stu character: the bishie who's the object of every guy gay or seemingly otherwise in sexual orientation that's around him's undying affection and desires (example: FAKE, everyone seems to want either Ryo or Dee, but mostly shy and virginal Ryo). As well yaoi/shounen-ai series are usually on one extreme or the other in terms of the type of story; being either filled with copious amounts of mostly cutesy (or "kawaii") happy smiling sushiney sugar-coated fluff (like Gravitation, the kind of stuff I personally find positively nauseating) or unbelievable amounts of laughably ridiculous and derivative angst and soap-operatic melodrama (love triangles anyone? Or WildeFyre's FAKE fanfic, for an even better point of reference concerning overloads of angst). Then there's the disturbing amount of stories that feature rape that the manga-ka/fanfic authors try and pass off as "relationships" between characters, whether it's a guy eventually coming to fall in love with his rapist (!!) or the popular and just plain utterly cliched rape/comfort stories out there (that exist mostly in fanfic, but there are canon yaoi series that make use of this formula as well that come to mind). And don't even get me STARTED on the dreaded, disgusting "shota" sub-genre. *deep shudders* I really do NOT want to hear any arguments in its defense or support, they're always all the same and they never excuse the inherent wrongness of depicting pre-pubescent little boys engaged in sex and being seen as objects of sexual gratification and fantasy. I feel exactly the same way about lolicon, I should note.

"In conclusion, I feel I have made it clear the many, multi-faceted reasons as to why I don't personally like most yaoi/shounen-ai and find myself constantly annoyed by the fandom surrounding it and its many pretty boy characters."

"In my own conclusion, I feel that there is many clear conclusions, that many multi-faced reason as to why most people are constantly annoyed by the fans that surround yaoi and it's many boy characters into it like VioXShadow link which in my preference, believe that people are gay for looking at it and it most likely contains many pretty boy characters."

That last paragraph is way more of a grammatical snarl than anything that preceded it.

I don't disagree that yaoi can be and generally is pretty heteronormative, and the prevalence of sexual violence, or rather romanticised and fetishised sexual violence, is really quite alarming. That the stuff is just not very well written most of the time just worsens matters.

On the other hand, I really have nothing against women writing romances or erotic fiction about gay men for other women, so long as it is respectful and, you know, good. Or at least passable. And I happen to like petit femme dudes quite a bit, so the aesthetic itself is not necessarily off-putting.
    Although what is up with those guys with the icepick chins? Dorito-Faced Senpai, indeed!
    That last paragraph is way more of a grammatical snarl than anything that preceded it.

I don't disagree that yaoi can be and generally is pretty heteronormative, and the prevalence of sexual violence, or rather romanticised and fetishised sexual violence, is really quite alarming. That the stuff is just not very well written most of the time just worsens matters.

On the other hand, I really have nothing against women writing romances or erotic fiction about gay men for other women, so long as it is respectful and, you know, good. Or at least passable. And I happen to like petit femme dudes quite a bit, so the aesthetic itself is not necessarily off-putting.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20121217065007/http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/But_what_are_your_thoughts_on_yaoi?
    ...I have heard of this.
  • Although what is up with those guys with the icepick chins? Dorito-Faced Senpai, indeed!

it's Dorito-Face Senpai San
    I knew I was missing an important word there.