keep thinking

you can do it
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Napthali?
    I cannot name that last fucker
  • I'm more of a team edward type myself
    I forgot Isaachar and Zebulon. In my defense, their names are Isaachar and Zebulon
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    starts with a Z
    ninja'd
  • are you trying to say that Zebulon is a forgettable name
    I've never forgotten it, personally

are you trying to say that Zebulon is a forgettable name

No, but it sounds like the evil ruler of planet Wombax, archrival of Vectron
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You did way better than I would have.
  • kill living beings
    here's my impression of trying to name the twelve sons of jacob

Did none of you watch that Joseph and his Technicolor Dream Coat movie with Donnie Osmond five billion times growing up
  • Odradek said:

Did none of you watch that Joseph and his Technicolor Dream Coat movie with Donnie Osmond five billion times growing up

I have never seen that movie, only heard of it's existence.
  • edited 2015-09-26 01:56:28
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ramble:

when I was 12 or 13, somewhere in there, we had a recording of the Technicolor Dream Coat songs done by the theater kids at the local high school, because they actually did a really good job with their production of it, and we would listen to it in the car, I even enjoyed it some, this being before my metalhead days.

/ramble
  • i honestly had no clue who jacob was or how many sons he had but i liked the animated technicolor dreamcoat movie when i saw that one time
    Odradek said:

i think my entire religious knowledge i had growing up was like "it exists" and the story of how my mom got kicked out of sunday school
    Narrator 

Way way back many centuries ago,
    Not long after the Bible began
    Jacob lived in the land of Canaan,
    A fine example of a family man.
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    Depended on farming to earn their keep.
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    Spen all of his days in the fields with sheep. 
    Jacob was the founder of a whole new nation
    Thanks to the number of children he had
    He was also known as Israel, but most of the time
    His sons and his wives used to call him Dad.
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    Men of the soil, of the sheaf and crook
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    A remarkable family in anyone's book. 

Narrator, Brothers, Female Ensemble & Children 

Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel
    With Simeon and Levi the nex in line
    Naphtali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
    Zebulun and Gad took the total to nine
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one 
    Jacob, Jacob and sons,
    Joseph - Jacob's favourite son
    Jacob, Jacob and sons
    Jacob, Jacob and sons
    Jacob, Jacob and sons
    Jacob Jacob Jacob
    Jacob and
    Sons 
  • edited 2015-09-26 02:11:41
    kill living beings
    Odradek said:

from my kid bible i jsut remember joseph's bros being kinda jerks

also joseph being a jerk
    naney said:

i honestly had no clue who jacob was or how many sons he had but i liked the animated technicolor dreamcoat movie when i saw that one time

Odradek said:

i think my entire religious knowledge i had growing up was like "it exists" and the story of how my mom got kicked out of sunday school

What got her kicked out?
  • basically, whatever denomination she was a part of believed in predestination, she asked how, given both the fact that Judas was unable to chose not to turn Jesus in and also the fact that turning him in ultimately saved everybody, he could be condemned for his actions.

she was pretty young at the time, not sure how old idk
    that's very Pynchonian.
  • im pretty sure she was like 7, so she most likely had not read any Pynchon at that time

i should get her her own copy of Gravity's Rainbow, i think she'd like that

though it seems to annoy her when i buy her things, or offer let her borrow things i buy, like when i bought Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and said she could read it
  • kill living beings
    lol borges
    the preterite
  • naney said:

basically, whatever denomination she was a part of believed in predestination, she asked how, given both the fact that Judas was unable to chose not to turn Jesus in and also the fact that turning him in ultimately saved everybody, he could be condemned for his actions.

this is extreme even from what i know of sunday schools
  • she might have done something else, who knows, adults tell tall tales
    I once had an incident when I said David was right not to slaughter that one city
  • she is the less fervently atheistic of my two parental units
    basically, whatever denomination she was a part of believed in predestination, she asked how, given both the fact that Judas was unable to chose not to turn Jesus in and also the fact that turning him in ultimately saved everybody, he could be condemned for his actions.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i knew of the name zebulon because there's a town in NC with that name but i didn't know it was a son of jacob
    Odradek said:

Given that Judas' "surname" indicates that he was a former member of the Zealots, his motivations were probably closer to those described in this similarly fine bit of musical theatre:
  • Odradek said:

this actually sounds like a meshuggah song
  • Odradek said:

Given that Judas' "surname" indicates that he was a former member of the Zealots, his motivations were probably closer to those described in this similarly fine bit of musical theatre:
    I really really need to dig into The Residents dicography.
    You do. Hell, I do. I haven't listened to a lot of their work in years, and I have weirdly little of it in my collection.
  • They're one of those bands who have a very daunting discography, though not as daunting as John Zorn, admittedly.

Though holding people to the standard of being as prolific as John Zorn is not entirely fair.
  • John Zorn is less daunting IMO because there are way more definite "start here" points
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    All of The Residents' stuff up to and including the Mole Trilogy is worth listening to.

I'm not big on what I've heard of their stuff after that, although I've heard that
    God In Three Persons and Wormwood are pretty good.

If you need a singular entry point, Duck Stab/Buster & Glen was a pretty perfect one for me.
    Wormwood is rad, and their most recent stuff is very conceptually provocative even if it was not my cup of tea when I first heard it. I have also heard that Demons Dance Alone is really good.

But for intros, Duck Stab is great, but going chronologically from "Santa Dog" on is just as good a way to proceed.
    Bump
  • the cheat, do you like zebulon's style?