now for the only personality test that matters

Ceephax or Squarepusher?

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I like both, but I think Squarepusher has the edge for me.
  • kill living beings
    i haven't heard of ceephax but they have a better name
  • they are two electronic music people, squarepusher is a famous IDM man who plays bass and generally does this fusion jazz/coked out dnb thing and Ceephax is a sort of cult underground acid techno guy with crazy live shows, they are incidentally brothers

jane i think you would be a ceephax person:

• well he doesn't take himself too seriously and i respect that
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Teletext.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Bird.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Fossilmaiden wins.

And, Squarepusher, i guess?  Only due to a complete lack of familiarity with Ceephax.
  • edited 2015-09-19 05:22:44
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    the chapter of Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds that talks about Squarepusher damn near made me throw the book across the room
  • ive never read that book but the things ive heard make me think i wouldnt be fond
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    It's a good book overall, but he can at times break into the most annoying kind of poptimist criticism. It's usually pretty tame, though.
  • i heard that he like, failed to fact check, lots of basic errors
  • what is Energy Flash and what did he say

I feel like there's a story here I must be told
  • what is Energy Flash and what did he say

I feel like there's a story here I must be told
    its a book about the history of electronic music in the UK mostly by the dude who wrote the book about post-punk that sredni likes a lot

apparently there are quite a few basic factual errors and he has some unpleasant opinions/biases
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    a book by a music critic named Simon Reynolds that's about electronic dance music.

There's a really cranky passage in there about Squarepusher and IDM in general that I can't find
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He wrote it before Rip It Up And Start Again and was significantly closer to the source material, chronologically speaking, so the more excessively opinionated bits are a bit more, uh, over-the-top. Or so I have gathered. Like the whole "progressive house is unintentionally racist" thing.

I have yet to read it so I can verify little for myself.
    Is Rip It Up And Start Again itself still worth reading?
    Yes, very much so. Extremely informative, thorough book, very entertaining. A bit on the PC side, but charmingly so for the most part, and not entirely without a sceptical eye toward the myriad goofy pretensions of its subjects.
  • im reading like a compilation of things this man has written

im gonna be honest, i am recalling how John Zorn used to (still does?) feel about music reviews
  • anyways, im definitely a Ceephax person
    naney said:

im reading like a compilation of things this man has written

im gonna be honest, i am recalling how John Zorn used to (still does?) feel about music reviews

How so?

Mind you, I often disagree with him, but he is at least thoughtful.
  • it's just intensely depressing and soul crushing
    Yeah, he does seem to be a bit of a twat, unfortunately.

Considering I still want to read Slimed! despite the author of that being a twat himself, I think I can get past that for that one book.
  • I'm on a Ceephax Acid Crew diet

I see -phax Acid Crew and I eat it!
    naney said:

it's just intensely depressing and soul crushing

...?

That does not sound like his long-form work.

naney said:

it's just intensely depressing and soul crushing

...?

That does not sound like his long-form work.
    Remember Naney has less of a tolerance for music criticism than we do, so that might explain some of the discrepancy here.
  • edited 2015-09-19 05:58:50

LIFETIME UNDER-ACHIEVEMENT AWARD -- BILL LASWELL

Has this guy ever done anything of consequence? (Apart from the B-lines on "On Land", and Material's "Bustin' Out"). All his Fourth World super-jams read like a great idea, but the results are uniformly less-than-the-sum-of-its-parts. And he's so desperate to get in on every new trend. As soon as jungle broke, media-wise, I just knew it'd only be a matter of months before Laswell would pitch in with his own take--and sure enough, he did (I forget which of the 25 albums that year it was on), and sure enough, it was embarassing. As with the Squarepusher types, it's that perennial margin-walker arrogance of thinking you can improve on any style or genre, "take it further"....

I Am Going To Eat This Man
  • For sure, New Forms is to '97 what Timeless was to '95 and Logical Progression to '96--the year's drum & bass consensus album, the double-disc magnum opus garlanded with critical acclaim and hyped with the dubious sales-pitch "if you only buy one jungle album this year....". That's reason enough for some to hate the record, dismissing it (often, I suspect, without actually hearing it) as mere coffee table jungle-lite. Winning the Mercury Prize award ought to be the death knell for Reprazent's underground cred. And it is an exceedingly pleasant-sounding, cleanly-produced record that pays a little too much deference to jazz and the ideal of live musicianship.
    But then white bohemians (myself included) have never truly grasped why the likes of LTJ Bukem glimpse utopia in the jazz-funk of Lonnie Liston Smith and Roy Ayers, why Goldie flips out for the fuzak of The Yellowjackets and mid-Eighties Miles Davis. New Forms is a timely reminder that elegance can be a form of rebellion for the black working class (rather than a straightforwardly upwardly mobile aspiration to conventional notions of "class"). From Earth Wind and Fire and Chic to today's G-funk, swingbeat and speed garage, the regal panache and sheer slickness of sound communicate a kind of fuck-you defiance, a refusal of your allotted place in the social pyramid. Like "Big Willie"/Notorious BIG/playa rap's commodity fetishism (Hillfiger, Cristal, Rolexes, Hennesy, Lexus et al), the trappings of sonic luxury --stand-up bass, lush strings and jazzed cadences--that infuse New Forms proclaim: "nothing's too good for us".
    When electronic musicians attempt a synthesis of sequenced sound with "musicality" ("real" vocals, "live" playing), the result is usually an embarassing mish-mash; witness the worst bits of Timeless. If New Forms mostly escapes that dire fate, it's because Size/Reprazent are minimalists where Goldie is a maximalist. Reprazent understand that the real "jazz thing" going on in drum & bass doesn't involve sampling electric piano licks or hiring a session-musician to noodle out a sax solo. Rather, it resides in the rhythm section--the tangential relationship between the hyper-syncopated breakbeats and the roaming, ruminative but always visceral B-line. Strip away the stereo-panned streaks of abstract tone-color and the Pat Metheny-style guitar glints from "Matter of Fact", for instance, and the track is basically a rimshot-ricochetting, paradiddle-palsied drum solo (albeit one constructed painstakingly over days of red-eyed computer-screen toil rather than played in real-time and real acoustic space).
    The first disc of New Forms contains all the "big tunes", as well as the most overt nods towards jazz: the double bass driven "Brown Paper Bag", the title track with its tongue-twistingly sibilant scat-rap from Bahamadia (which was psychedelicized and susurrated even further on the superior Roni Size remix released as a single), the gorgeous singles "Heroes" and "Share The Fall" (both graced by the torch-song croon of Onalee). "Share The Fall" isn't as good a song as "Heroes", but it's better jungle: singing inside your flesh, the beat is the melody, its rolling tumble of rapid-fire triplets making you step fierce like a bebop soldier.
    Disc Two of New Forms is more cinematic and soundtrack-to-life oriented, achieving a widescreen feel and Technicolor sheen rivalled only by Spring Heel Jack. "Trust Me", for instance, sounds like it might be woven out of offcuts from Dudley Moore's symphonic jazz score for his Sixties movie Bedazzled. Truer to the anonymous funktionalism of "real" jungle, the tracks on Disc Two strip away song-structures and "proper" vocals to reveal a music of lustrous details. Drum & bass is an engineer's art, oriented around specifications and special effects, timbres and treatments. So what you listen for is the sculpted rustle-and-glisten of hi-hat and cymbal figures, the contoured plasma of the bass, the exquisitely timed placement of horn stabs and string cascades. You thrill to the music's murderous finesse--intricacies and subleties designed to enhance the ganjadelic mind-state but which are so nuanced and three-dimensional they stone you all by themselves.
    In Reprazent's music, the clash between the ghettocentric exuberance of the breakbeats and the opulent arrangements generates oxymoronic mood-amalgams: tense serenity, suave unease, fervent ambivalence. Tracks like the eerie, menthol-cool "Hot Stuff" modulate your metabolism like the impossibly refined neurochemical engineering and designer drugs of the next century. New forms, for sure--but Roni Size/Reprazent are also forging new emotions.

...Does anybody remember that horribly embarrassing old Pitchfork review of that Jon Coltrane retrospective?
  • edited 2015-09-19 06:07:35

I can now confess that the song-oriented Faust IV is my favourite of their albums rather than the hipper Faust Tapes, that I prefer the boogie-fied crossover stab Clear Spot to Trout Mask Replica, that the almost-funky Strange Celestial Roads is my fave Sun Ra, that the Sly-and-Jimi influenced Seventies Miles pleasures me more than Ayler or AMM screeching to the converted. I can consign those Merzbow CD's to that cupboard marked "possibly someday, probably never".

the Sly-and-Jimi influenced Seventies Miles pleasures me more than Ayler or AMM screeching to the converted. I can consign those Merzbow CD's to that cupboard marked "possibly someday, probably never".

Ayler...screeching

is his problem that he is deaf?
  • some of the most beautiful, soulful, thought-provoking music ever created is apparently tryhard screeching

im actually mad now
    Well, his tone does often go into that register.
  • edited 2015-09-19 06:11:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    He honestly reminds me of where I could've ended up if I hadn't met you lot, so I can't be too mad at him.
    naney said:

some of the most beautiful, soulful, thought-provoking music ever created is apparently tryhard screeching

im actually mad now

I don't think that's...

Nevermind. Just, nevermind.
  • naney said:

some of the most beautiful, soulful, thought-provoking music ever created is apparently tryhard screeching

im actually mad now

I don't think that's...

Nevermind. Just, nevermind.
    in the context of the whole bit, which is quite long (hence my not quoting the whole thing), that is exactly what he was saying

i read it twice to be sure, because i was struck with profound disbelief
  • anyways, more ceephax