underrated music

* Skrillex

* limp bizkit

Comments

• I keep posting these things when I mean to just close the window but ok
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • oh noooooo the plastic druns
  • seriously how could you listen to that and say "yeah, I chose the right drum samples there, I feel good about this and will release it to the public"
    ... I feel dumb for linking that now.

I thought the blatant attempt to cop Burial's mojo five years too late amusing in a not-entirely-bad way.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    if i were a person capable of making a track like that, but otherwise knowing as little about music as i do, i can imagine thinking "yeah, I chose the right drum samples there, I feel good about this and will release it to the public"
  • ok but you did not win multiple Grammy awards in the field of making electronic music
    yeah, that's fair
  • like, if I made that I would be like "I'm not completely satisfied with this, it won't go on my SoundCloud but i'll recycle some of these ideas later"
    i think maybe the difference is you listen to a lot more electronic music than me.

Because that was mainly Skrillex's audience, i think?  He was one of those electronic artists who people who don't listen to a lot of electronic music liked.
  • He is but

imagine a rock album, professionally mastered, on a mid-sized label, you buy it, put it on and one of the guitars is noticeably not tuned correctly.

it's not quite a mistake of that caliber, but it definitely shows a lack of professionalism or even like just showing your ideas to other people before putting them out there?

and this has definitely become A Thing for Skrillex, whereas early on he was like actually the best Brostep guy, definitely outstripping like every UK brostep person and maybe even giving the Canadians a run for their money, but now it's like... he has no ability to recognize when he does something that just doesnt work, and he doesnt have anyone around to tell him when it doesnt or even if he's making really obvious missteps. you get what i mean?
    Yeah, i do get what you mean.
    i'm not sure i understand the specific mistake being made here though.

It's . . . textural, i guess?  Which seems a more subjective thing to me than tuning, or maybe it's just something that's less intuitive to me.
  • it is more subjective, that's why i said that it's not really a mistake on the same level, just of the same nature i.e. it stems from like just obviously not putting the effort in

though i guess an out-of-tune guitar is much more stridently obvious whereas like in the moment of producing a track it can be hard to notice those things
  • like, there are lots of times where i make a track, then listen to it the day after and notice really obvious problems that flew over my head in the heat of the moment
  • the more i think about this the worse of a comparison it was
  • edited 2015-09-16 22:58:19
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think he was trying to emulate Burial's drum sound and kinda failed at it.
    naney said:

i have FAILED

it's ok!

i just do not have much vocabulary for talking about electronica
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I thought this thread would actually be about underrated music

I am disappoint
    We derailed pretty fast i guess.

Unless you're just saying those artists are not underrated, in which case, maybe YOU are an underrater!
    limp bizkit is rated pretty correctly, I think. I have no opinion on skrillexex.
  • limp bizkit is rated pretty correctly, I think. I have no opinion on skrillexex.

the durst band of all time
    the durstest
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    A lot of 80s British post-punk and new wave
  • isnt that the music that like everyone drools over now though
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They did ten years ago but there is still plenty of stuff that I would consider genuinely underrated in that category. For instance, This Heat, or Ludus, or Artery.
    To make a legitimate contribution to this thread, do Morphine and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci count?
    stoner metal

actually just metal generally, aside from Metallica
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

To make a legitimate contribution to this thread, do Morphine and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci count?

Yes. Very much so.

I will also put forward Tragic Mulatto, Pink Reason, The Goslings, Car Seat Headrest, COH, Secret Machines, Mirror, The Dancing Did and Minóy.
  • a lot of folks like the timbre of "plasticy" drum sounds.

a similar example would be 9th Wonder, who is often criticized for "weak" snare sounds and the like.

also if soundcloud isn't for half-formed ideas than jeez what IS it for.
  • naney said:

isnt that the music that like everyone drools over now though

Blue Nile tho
  • also i think some of Skrillex's music suffers from the Southern Hip-Hop problem where it's primarily mixed and mastered for the purpose of blaring out of speakers at high volume and thus sounds funny on headphones.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    naney said:

isnt that the music that like everyone drools over now though

nah. if anything, that's noise pop
    "everyone" drools over noise pop?
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-09-18 05:07:14

To make a wholly uninformed "contribution" to this thread, I would like to bring up the Muda Kingdom theme from Super Mario Land.

that is one of the best Mario tunes, but I've never heard an arrangement of it I really liked.
  • it's been aranged into the 80s
  • naney said:

it's been aranged into the 80s

Well, Super Mario Land was released in 1989...
    more like 70s